Houzz Logo Print
flamingo75

Family room help!

flamingo75
7年前
How can I spruce up this wall/mantel? I'm adding a chair in the corner with blue stripe, I think??! Adding picture of kitchen to give perspective. Thanks!

コメント (127)

• cmcc3
    7年前

On a side note, can you tell me where you got your dining table?

flamingo75さんはcmcc3さんにお礼を言いました
  • flamingo75
    質問の投稿者
    7年前

Thanks for all your great ideas cmcc3! The table is from Pottery Barn--not sure it's still available!

• kitty634
    7年前

Replace the picture with a beautifully framed mirror.. mirrors look classy over the mantle... and hang the mirror, do not lean. Keep the candles but get rid of pidly stuff on the right. Replace with one statement piece such as large vase or statue, which will give you three items and that's enough. (also I would ditch the blue candles and use red instead for more pop) Keep the brown leather chair in the corner, not the blue stripe.

• flamingo75
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    Thanks for all the advice. Here's what I'm doing and will post a final picture:
    •Recovering chair in a gorgeous denim-colored velvet with contemporary tailor tacks
    •Larger frame on painting--keeping above the fireplace because I painted it
    •After getting the picture re-framed, I'll add beefier candlesticks on one side and a nice vase on the other
  • flamingo75
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    •Painting room white --Dunn Edwards Milk Glass-- and adding bright white crown molding.
    •Larger tray on coffee table and nice accessories
    •colorful throw pillows

Chair is being recovered now.

I'll send pictures of final results!! Thanks again for all your suggestions!!!
  • PRO
    Molli Young Design Consultant
    7年前
    I would add a more substantial mirror or piece of art above the fireplace. Then put the chair in the corner. If you want to make a big change add a rug and anchor the sofa and chair front legs to it.
    flamingo75さんはMolli Young Design Consultantさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Crave Your Home
    7年前

Can't wait to see it! I'm sure it will be beautiful!

flamingo75さんはCrave Your Homeさんにお礼を言いました
  • Amy Hoffman-Shehan
    7年前
    I like your artwork but agree it is too small for the fireplace. Would you consider reframing it with a larger mat and lighter colored frame?
    flamingo75さんはAmy Hoffman-Shehanさんにお礼を言いました
  • abb_ann
    7年前
    I like melissabaldwin's idea of a mirror. I would think it it would be nice to compliment the size of the window on the left of the fireplace ton balance that wall.
    flamingo75さんはabb_annさんにお礼を言いました
  • Leslie Barney
    7年前

I would make the mantle a dark brown to make it stand out more in give the room little m ore color

flamingo75さんはLeslie Barneyさんにお礼を言いました
  • barbra123
    7年前

Gosh, a simple green tree in that space to the right of the fireplace would go a LONG way to filling the space and adding needed color. Cheap and easy!

flamingo75さんはbarbra123さんにお礼を言いました
  • Kathryn Fitzpatrick
    7年前
    最終更新:7年前

I think the changes you have decided on are the way to go. You already have a lot going on in the space so keep it simple. My only suggestions would be to add a dark floor lamp behind the chair to balance the other dark shades in the room and to draw the eye up. Layering your lighting in a room improves ambience and it will create a lovely reading nook. Perhaps a lower sidetable to replace the one you have so there is less visual noise - it draws focus away from the things you want to highlight- and dressing your coffee table with something larger. Can't see in your photos but if you don't have a floor rug adding one (of the right scale) can really bring a room together and is another opportunity to add texture. Have fun decorating!

flamingo75さんはKathryn Fitzpatrickさんにお礼を言いました
  • quirkycabin
    7年前

I love your decision. Never thought of velvet...am looking forward to seeing your painting in a larger frame. Looks as though you are going for a bit of beach theme. Unless you have a black finger something alive might be nice. Great room!

flamingo75さんはquirkycabinさんにお礼を言いました
  • T Hamell
    7年前

I like the Mirror idea someone mentioned (a large mirror would look great above the fireplace) I would also add a tall palm or some other nice plant or statue to the empty space on the right of it.

flamingo75さんはT Hamellさんにお礼を言いました
  • janedoe2012
    7年前
    I vote for a semi gloss teal slightly darker than the backsplash, but not so dark that is might be confused with the cabinets. Walls only, definitely not the shelves. I think wall paper with a print would be cool, but maybe not after you put stuff in there.

You must be more organized that Martha Stewart. I am guessing this simply isn't what most of us think of when someone says "pantry." To me, a pantry is basically a closet in you kitchen. It seems like yours will function more as a sink-less wet bar or butler's pantry.

It might be helpful to post a few more photos.
  • PRO
    Naselari
    7年前

I am inclined to believe a round convex mirror up over the fireplace, the chair in corner, blue/gray white stripe, or some other stripe, not to fight the natural material, rustic look you already have, and perhaps floor lamp by chair, taller which also plays into the balance of that idea of the room.... coffee table, and sofas, and bookcase are all angular square...or rectangle..perhaps a round table, and change the material

/color...and give a cohesive balance, keep candle sticks, horse...goes, put onto bookshelves, then hang 2 small pieces of artwork boy the chair on wall, but not overly sized, and not obtrusive. Your 2 differing textile materials utilized on the 2 different sofas are fighting the space...and blocking the flow of the room...unless you wish that.

flamingo75さんはNaselariさんにお礼を言いました
  • flamingo75
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    Thanks for the advice! Here's what we have done so far.
  • flamingo75
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    Another angle...
  • flamingo75
    質問の投稿者
    7年前

I am recovering the navy leather chair in a denim velvet. Already ordered, should arrive this week!! Looks similar to this.

• Maria C
    7年前
    My 4 cents;
    -The 2 sofas in front of each other. Fireplace will look in between/center. If you can leave no less than 3 ft. between the bookshelves and the back of the right sofa.
    -Change the coffee table for a smaller one (oval?) or 2 small square ones with round corners.
    -To the right place of the fireplace, small desk (with a desk lamp?)In the wall can be a mirror, art, your personal preference.

-Mantel:
    What your family like to do, hobbies? In my opinion since this is a family room it should represent what the family likes to do.
    If your family likes table games. I will put a representation of them on the wall on top, one of the on-line catalogs have very nice board framed games. If your family likes to travel a world frame map perhaps is the call. Depending how long the mantel is, I will limit to put no more than 5 items.
    Good luck. MLC
    flamingo75さんはMaria Cさんにお礼を言いました
  • barbra123
    7年前

I saw your picture of the Sunshine Skyway on your houzz page. I'm just over the bridge in Sarasota... so Hi from sunny Florida!

flamingo75さんはbarbra123さんにお礼を言いました
  • catdoot
    7年前

I'm desperate for chairs like this. Can you tell me the brand, pretty please?

flamingo75さんはcatdootさんにお礼を言いました
  • catdoot
    7年前

I mean the original stripe chairs with the blue stripe option.

flamingo75さんはcatdootさんにお礼を言いました
  • flamingo75
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    Catdoot, if you're talking about these chairs, they are Henredon Fireside chair. I bought them in 1992 but they are still available. http://www.henredon.com/Furniture/Upholstery-Furniture/Fireside-Custom-Upholstery/i323637-Fireside-Chair.aspx
    This is the third time they have been recovered. The current fabric is Sunbrella but I think the pattern is discontinued because I couldn't find it on their website.
  • flamingo75
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    Hi Barbra123! It's actually the Ravenel Bridge in Charleston!! Either way, thanks for saying hello! :-)
  • PRO
    Naselari
    7年前

;those are great chairs..flank them where the one sofa is..this way the flow of the room is not sectioned, ie. closed-off... no to the black chair..you are going too monochromatic, and the room needs something to enliven it, beyond I swear a round, convex mirror will do wonders for a room, round cocktail table or ottoman coifed table with tray..mantel is ok, leave candle there, seahorse..must go...if goes put within open bookcases...clock also.. fire screen is a great idea.... or IF still want chair next to fireplace, with a floor lamp, distinctive, taller, bring some brass in..you need pop. pop also with some colorful pillows..simple, cheap and easy change, what about daybed, or the sofa having an attached chaise, this way it opens the room up... I see you used the darker sofa to distinctly quardon off room from kitchen... TAKE your time, don;t do all at once..designers who have full fledged money tree to work with can do this...take the time, merry colors of textile in room, at all hours, to pick a choice..but cotton, linen, chenille, durable stripes...never go out of style, neither do textures, then you can pull pillows in... brass..you need some warm colors in there, or blues/greens to offset the lighter palette of neutrals you have...

• Gayle Colleen
    7年前

I would buy some navy curtains and hang them high, buy a navy blue chair and put to the right of the fire place with a tall green plant behind the chair, get a seascape painting for above the mantel in dark blues, buy a dark blue and white area rug and navy throw pillows, and a blue throw for your sofas. Buy some silver candle sticks and silver tray for your coffee table and mantel. If you don't like navy then sub another blue. If you want to add a pop of color choose a small pinch of orange or something across the color wheel to add around the room, on your shelves, table, walls, etc.

• Lily Woods
    7年前
    I love it.
  • flamingo75
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    Room is done. Thanks for all your advice!
  • flamingo75
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    Final picture!
  • groveraxle
    7年前

The chair is beautiful and so is the pillow. I would do two small things: move the candlesticks, clock, and seahorse toward the center so they overlap the art just a bit, and pull the chair out of the corner a tad, maybe 6 - 12". Don't want it to look like the time out chair. ;-)

• thao yan
    7年前

I agree with the idea of pulling the chair out a little ,and I also would change the frame of the picture because it is very dark and doesn't go well with the blue picture, which in fact needs wider and lighter frame . i would put two pictures on the wall behind your new blue sofa to balance the the wall,or you can add some beautiful green plants to that corner .

• kellybeachy
    7年前

Your finished room looks great. I think the cowboys trash can/table looks out of place though. Is there a den/man cave that can go in?

• Sharla Wells-Di Gregorio
    7年前
    You could consider an accent color on the wall behind the fireplace to make it pop more versus blend in. Also consider larger artwork to extend length of mantel or a mirror.
  • carissajohnstone
    7年前

I agree with another poster who suggested bringing the fireplace to the ceiling. (The room looks well on its way already!) If you have a handyman in the house already, or know one, trimming out some shiplap over the fireplace mantle up to the ceiling is a very appealing and simple fix!

I love the fabrics you chose for your chair- especially the bottom left fabric :)

• Nensi Voj
    7年前

...ok,one more comment,...i see that side of the wall ,where is the fireplace ,in the same blue color .or little darker ,as a cosy chair is, ... need more art works above that area on the wall where is a new chair, framed drawings,art photography...maybe to color the central coffe wooden table in white washed color effect...,and add more light stand lamps ...around...???...enjoy...best regards,,,nensi

• Nensi Voj
    7年前

...and that nice blue glass bottles place too, on fire place,,,add your books in the white shelves along with decor objects...and maybe some wood peaces in nice white basket beside the fire place...???

• Nensi Voj
    7年前

and change the place for plants that you now keep on the shelves,,,,you always can play with decor objects you have,by changing their place, finally, you will find the right place for them...

• naltaf
    7年前

Remove items from mantle, and other clutter. if blue is your pop color, keep a theme of blue,beige and white. I agree you do not need to custom order a chair, Home Goods, Ballard others have nice chairs for less-also agree that you should get a funky chair to add interest-maybe a leather in blue or red. You can vary the blues from indigo to turquoise to keep things interesting-pillows,a large glass bowl,or a large vase. Large mirror on fireplace is a good idea. Table is too dark, try and get a glass table with iron base, match mirror to that to create some balance.

• vettyvu
    7年前

I think you have a wonderful home and everything is coming together lovely! I am especially enamored with the 2 lights above your dining room table. They are exactly what I have been looking for. Sort of off subject, but where did you find them? Again, you have a really wonderful home!

flamingo75さんはvettyvuさんにお礼を言いました
  • outshopping422
    7年前

Looks great! :)

• taragonder
    7年前
    Sort of off topic, but . . . Have you considered a really beautiful kick-ass print for the chair? I mean, I like stripes because they're classic, but you have a really nice neutral base going. How about having a little fun? Sorry if I'm overstepping . . . Do you want this room to have a more formal vibe?
  • flamingo75
    質問の投稿者
    7年前

Vettyvu, glad you like the lights. I custom painted them. The iron was light brown so I spray painted it with Rustolium. And the glass was frosted. I custom mixed a blue paint and mixed it with Martha Stewart glass glaze.

• flamingo75
    質問の投稿者
    7年前

Taragonder, thanks for the advice. Great ideas. I ordered some pillows for color and will post a picture when I get them.

• pennala
    7年前

I agree with the suggestions to paint the fireplace wall area above the fireplace a darker color. Would you consider finding a larger picture, or some type of metal wall hanging for above the fireplace. You've got the proper lighting and room layout-make your fireplace wall a stronger focal point. Have fun, lovely space.

• gnu36
    7年前

Have you tried switching the sofas so that the ligher-colored one is under the window? The left side as seen from the photo is so heavy looking. Or maybe even remove the dark brown sofa altogether and leave the tan sofa where it is. Your painting is beautiful, although I agree it might need to be reframed, and not compete with other objects on the mantle...maybe even move it up the wall a bit.

• Susan Davis
    7年前

I think you need new look accessories for the mantle.....and I would suggest doing you art work in a more modern frame or no frame at all.

I have added this picture from Pottery Barn to see the look that I envision for your fabulous room....just a suggestion and this might not be you, but it is a bit more powerful than what you have now....

dried stuff in vessel, round or cylinder, deep colored pillows, maybe navy and aubergine or lime, small area rug in pillow colors, and vases and vessels in accent colors wiht a few neutrals thrown in....everything has a large scale that gives it weight and there for more importance...and you can find the look for less if you have a list of what you are seeking.....Ross, Marshall's, TJMaxx, etc.

Pottery Barn · 詳細

• PRO
    Green Enterprise
    7年前

Love the chair fabric! I would add an arched reading light from behind the chair, some dark wood decorative items to the book case and move the Sea horse.

• Jim
    6年前
    You've done a great job, clean and crisp. In time you might want to add a white marble or granite slab to the hearth (with 1" lip). It will break up the look and add elegance to your room.
  • lenachristina
    6年前
    最終更新:6年前

Hats off to whomever came up with the idea of the beadboard with columns above the mantle. It completely ties it in to the built-ins and transforms the proportion of her cherished artwork so that the size is now perfect. That was the most powerful change for me.