Houzz Logo Print
tinamluke

Master bedroom ugly fireplace help!

Tina Luke
7年前
This is the master bedroom of the home we are buying. I hate the ugly fireplace. Do we try to resurface it? Get rid of it and install more windows? Also should we paint the beams white?

I also included some example of the style bedroom we prefer.

コメント (4)

• PRO
    Circle Goods Reclaimed
    7年前

If you want the room to look like these I'd start with the floors and walls. Darken the floors a bit and go with the white color you seem to like in examples. You could even paint beams on the ceiling white and maybe add a nice mantle and see if that helps? Tearing apart the fireplace looks like a big undertaking!

• Rebecca McCready
    7年前
    It has to be what you like but I bought a house where someone painted the cedar beams white and I just want to see the wood contrast. Maybe you sand the beams back for a lighter hue? Definitely a lot of work though.
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    7年前

IMO the fireplace should go honestly we had a fireplace in one bedroom and I think we used it 3 times that one just has no connection to what you are wanting and all the paint and stain in the world will not make it work The rooms you like are light and airy nothing light and airy about that. Maybe if you really want one get a very flat contemporary fireplace

• Judy Mishkin
    7年前

the positioning of the fireplace makes it difficult to enjoy.... the way the current owners have the bedroom set up, only sitting on the foot of the bed facing sideways leads to enjoyment.

so, if you want a fireplace at all in the bedroom, post a floorplan (or wait til you move in if you cannot accomplish that now) to see if the furniture can be arranged so that the fireplace can be enjoyed. then work on how to redo the fireplace to one you like.

but there is not a lot of point to redo a poorly situated fireplace in a bedroom. it will still be poorly situated.