Houzz Logo Print
nisha_jain4917

need help with formal living room

n g
11年前
Hello- I need help in decorating my living room. I am not very creative and lacking ideas as to how to decorate this room. I know I need plants but I don't know what kind, what to put above the fire place, does it need a carpet, what should I put on the side table. Also need help to find a good console in the foyer which will go with my living room furniture, I need a modern and a very well put together look...Please help

コメント (115)

• n g
    質問の投稿者
    11年前
    Thank you everyone! @anumauara: thanks for attaching the pics with all your sugegstions. really helpful. I will move my sofas around the way you suggested and will post the pic
  • n g
    質問の投稿者
    11年前
    wcarolins, leelee and all others: what do you think of this art work above the fireplace..
  • Michael Bartley
    11年前
    Okjjjbhknb.

Z❤❤❤
  • n g
    質問の投稿者
    11年前
  • decoenthusiaste
    11年前
    How large is that piece? It seems flimsy for your heavy classical Greek columns and mantel, but it does go with the more modern furnishings. Would prefer something with volume and weight myself.
  • n g
    質問の投稿者
    11年前
    ◾Dimensions: 50-inches high x 34-inches wide x 3.5-inches deep
  • n g
    質問の投稿者
    11年前
    yes still looking for something...
  • Carolina
    11年前
    I think it's very interesting and I really like the warm colours.
    I guessed the size, it could be much smaller of course. And I took the liberty of turning it vertically. So you can get a vague idea of how it would look:
  • Carolina
    11年前
    最終更新:11年前
    Hmm... I'd be interested to know what you think. Just saw the measurements, so it is smaller I guess.
    Personally I don't think it is substantial enough.
  • n g
    質問の投稿者
    11年前
    thanks carolins for your opinion. you are right, it doesn't match the grandeur of the room.
  • n g
    質問の投稿者
    11年前
    i cannot buy fabulous original art now ( for future yes definitely). my budget is under $400.
  • n g
    質問の投稿者
    11年前
    I really really need to finish my living room décor
  • Carolina
    11年前
    Leelee is having a fit now :-D
    I do think that the gingko is too cheap looking. You can really see that it's mass produced. Sorry. And it's a bit on the safe side. Not really providing a talking point or something that will catch your eye because it is so interesting to look at.
    You'll find something, I'm sure. Have you checked the gallery link that leelee gave? If you do a google search for art galleries in your area... Do some browsing around and see what really catches your attention and keeps 'winking' at you.
  • PRO
    Hummingbird Designs
    11年前
    NG ...... Confused lol. You can look at pictures and take bits and pieces of what you like. Here are some samples
  • Carolina
    11年前
    I'll browse Etsy for you.
  • n g
    質問の投稿者
    11年前
    lol ok the gingko is out. i will keep my eyes open.
  • n g
    質問の投稿者
    11年前
    thanks carolins
  • n g
    質問の投稿者
    11年前
    yeah @ wendy lol
  • Carolina
    11年前
    Okay, don't be shocked, but I think this is interesting? Sadly it is a bit small in size, but makes up for it in attitude
    http://www.etsy.com/listing/109332782/abstract-painting-original-fine-art?ref=br_feed_9

I'll keep browsing a bit.
  • Carolina
    11年前
    Last one for tonight: Oh, and Overstock is a good source for all kinds of other items too. I could see a round white carpet in your foyer for instance and I'm pretty sure Overstock can provide you with an inexpensive one.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/belanszkypainting?ref=seller_info_count
  • n g
    質問の投稿者
    11年前
    thank you carolins for all the searching you did. I am really liking te paintings that you sent over.
  • n g
    質問の投稿者
    11年前
    how is this?
  • Carolina
    11年前
    Do yóu like it? I think it's much better than the sculpture and the ginkgo leaves. I has depth to it. Might be a good one. And you can take your colour cues from it too. Are you allowed to return it if it doesn't look good?
    If so... try it out. If not, only buy it if you really love it :-)

Making a good, warm and inviting home that reflects who you are and feels like HOME takes time. It has to grow around you. Really, those homes are the best ones.

Would love to see how this painting looks above the fireplace.
  • PRO
    Angelina Vick
    11年前
    Hi NG, I see you are looking over some art options...I thought I would throw some of my art into the ideas...=)

I am going to post some links to a few classy neutral medallions that I can imagine complementing your space well.

http://fineartamerica.com/featured/coffee-flowers-10-ornate-medallion-angelina-vick.html
    http://fineartamerica.com/featured/coffee-flowers-8-olive-ornate-medallion-angelina-vick.html
    http://fineartamerica.com/featured/coffee-flowers-11-ornate-medallion-angelina-vick.html

As you can see in this gallery...I have a lot of pieces that are interchangable for mix and match.

http://fineartamerica.com/profiles/angelina-vick.html?tab=artworkgalleries&artworkgalleryid=144373

Whatever you choose...pick something you love!
  • Carolina
    11年前
    Did you notice that one of the Etsy artists, Cecilia Sullivan, is in Seattle?
  • PRO
    Angelina Vick
    11年前
    最終更新:11年前
    I know it's hard to visualize things...I made a mock up to flesh out the idea I had with the medallions. The medallions in the photos are different colors, which would make a cool ecclectic set but I don't think that would suit your space. However, if you went with olives and tans in a pattern...that would look classy and unified. Or you could just go with one color.

I am not sure what the measurements are of the space between your windows, but these print as small as 8x8 and up to 48x48. The can be printed on canvas with black, white, or reflecting edges. They can also be printed on paper, and you could add frames to them.
  • Carolina
    11年前
    Somehow this reminded me of your room and I though you could get some inspirations from it:
    Contemporary Newport Beach Residence · 詳細
  • PRO
    hsMAC Design
    11年前
    I've been following this a bit and I see you have gotten much great input! I'm a local Seattle designer and would be happy to consult with you on this beautiful space! Would you like to chat? Heather 206-313-7769 hsMAC Design
  • PRO
    Shoa Gallery
    11年前
    Hi, beautiful space. I'm an artist on Etsy and I offer hundreds of configurations of canvas prints (some very large) and original art. Check out my work here: https://www.etsy.com/shop/katshoa

Good luck! Will be fun for you to decorate there.
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    11年前
    Great room - I was hoping to see after pics already ?!?!
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10年前
    Floor to moulding panels in a darker gray satin fabric. On all windows. Remove all things from. Mantel. Add very tall 5 ft pic with bold colors a contemporary design.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10年前
    Pick accent color and use around room. And pillows. Use many in solid and prints. Foyer a chest in a bold red or turquoise . Sunburst mirror. Palms for plants ceramic pots. In color.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10年前
    Get two chairs in a cream and print pl facing firepl. You need to mix it up. Add color don't match everything.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10年前
    Area rugs need to be color in foyer too. Add art in foyer too. Big bold.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10年前
    On mantel do groupings in odd numbers. Tall pots, candlesticks.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10年前
    The art that Caroline show is great.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10年前
    Ann dee drapes are nice, c above.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10年前
    Z galleries for art, and accessories
  • Kathy
    10年前
    I like the understated classic colors you have used so far and would like to see them carried throughout the room. For more interest I feel animal accents and metal could work.
    http://houzz.com/photos/66460
  • PRO
    Cozy Casita
    10年前
    Just out of interest, why the sudden flurry of posts on a thread that's been inactive for 3 months ? I would hope ng followed her instinct and found a local designer ... Three months is a long while to spend sitting in an unfurnished living room, waiting for decorating tips ! :-)
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10年前
    I need to look at dates of post. This goes back to April. I'm sure you have done a lot.
  • wisneb
    10年前
    I love this paint color ... can I ask what it is?
  • PRO
    Dounia Home
    10年前
    adding some Moroccan accents would definitely bring some warmth to the room they are available here www.vintagebydounia.com
  • PRO
    Terracegallery
    10年前
    I like the animal accent idea...something more contemporary:

http://fineartamerica.com/featured/zebra-art-stripes-sharon-cummings.html
  • Bev Lambert
    10年前
    Tapestry or silk lined curtains from ceiling to floor and the large windows just put draperies on each side and a swag up, across and down to floor with beaded trim. The entry table should be a matching wood round table(almost dining size), maybe an earn with a large floral arrangement in the center. The whole thing should start with something you find which will be your inspiration. IE: painting etc.. for over fire place, something that catches your eye and you love. Then you can pick drapery color and start forming everything around that. Take one step at a time and it won't feel so difficult.. Good luck, you have great architecture to work with.
  • Bev Lambert
    10年前
    Have you done Anything yet? Please post some pics of what you have done, many people are waiting to see if you have decided on anything as yet!