Houzz Logo Print
jmpbp

Do fire rated doors require weatherstrip?

jmpbp
7年前
Is it required to have a weatherstrip on a door that goes to the garage? There is a small gap at the bottom of the door now, and I was wondering if it is required to have it sealed. I'm sure it should be sealed, but I need to know if it is technically "required." Thanks for your comments.

コメント (3)

• jmpbp
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    I went through a bunch of codes, and I couldn't find a place where it specified that a weatherstrip was required. I ask because my contractor installed the new door without one, and I wanted to make sure it is reasonable to request he add the weatherstrip.
  • User
    7年前
    最終更新:7年前

"Do fire rated doors require weatherstrip?" Not necessarily. There are times when smoke and fire doors can have up to a 3/4" gap at the bottom and no gaskets.

The section dealing with fire rated construction in the IRC does NOT mention anything about a tightly sealed door between the house and the garage.

You CAN find "weatherstripping" in the energy codes, not fire codes.

• PRO
    Glenview Haus – Custom Doors & Wine Cellars
    7年前

It will all depend on local building codes along with what specification each manufacturer has in producing the doors under set standards. Some do not require it.