Houzz Logo Print
transitionaldesigns

UK Designer Scam

Ruth Smith is who she says she is. Any other designers been contacted by her to set up their newly purchased home?

コメント (50)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    7年前
    最終更新:7年前

Put your question on the PRO page. With a bit more detail as well please.

• PRO
    Transitional Designs, LLC
    質問の投稿者
    7年前

Hi Jan ~ Thought I did post on Pro page? I will copy and paste her email. So awful that these 'people' are sneaking their way into our industry.

• PRO
    質問の投稿者
    7年前

Hi again... over the long holiday weekend I received two more texts

1st on Nov 26th from Mrs. Christian ~ (503) 379-5231 - email: howardchristian804@gmail.com Re: installation and staging items just purchased.

2nd on Nov 28th from Mrs. Megan in Florida ~ (772) 979-7643~ email: megansefton175@gmail.com. Re: same as above.

I've reported these to houzz legal & to internet fraud hope all you who are getting these are doing so as well so we can get these scammers.

• PRO
    CSS PRODUCTIONS INC
    5年前

Yes, for the past 2 weeks- Claiming to be hearing impaired.

• PRO
    CSS PRODUCTIONS INC
    5年前

Luciehoward1089@gmail- Beware !! It seemed a little fishy.

• PRO
    Imago Creative Living
    4年前

jonazach8@gmail.com, staging and wants to be emailed....

• PRO
    質問の投稿者
    4年前

Thank you Imago ~ We all need to report this destructive activity.

• PRO
    ALC Interiors
    4年前

I just received a text from Joana Zach (503-395-4764) asking me to email her at jonazach8@gmail.com . Says she is moving from London England to the USA and is looking for decorating help at her new house and wants to pay by certified cheque

• PRO
    質問の投稿者
    4年前

thanks for sharing don't forget to report to houzz as well. Need to stop these people

• PRO
    Terri Symington, ASID
    4年前

I received a text from this same number a couple of days ago under the name of Shay Gonsales at gonsa54544@gmail.com .... I always ignore these obvious scammers ...

• PRO
    R O C H A Design Studio
    4年前

I received a similar text... From Mrs Joana asking me to email her at jonazach8@gmail.com from phone number 928-379-2387

• PRO
    Stage Coach Services LLC dba "The Stage Coach"
    4年前

I received a similar text today with read receipt requested from jonazach8@gmail.com using phone number 928-379-2387, and I'm in Pennsylvania. She's hitting all geographic locations. This is the fourth similar scam attempt under a different name and number in a year.

• PRO
    Eral Interiors
    4年前

I also received a text from the same number 928.379.2387. Text read, "Hi, I'm Mrs Gonsales , I got your contact on Houzz. Pls, email me at: gonsa54544@gmail.com, we need a interior decorator for installation/styling. Thank you."

• PRO
    User
    4年前

Received similar text from the same number 928 379 2387 .

• PRO
    East & Ivy Design Co., LLC
    4年前

We received a text from same phone number (928)379-2387 saying:

"Hi, I'm Jody McClaren, I got your contact on Houzz. Pls, email me at: mccjdy112@gmail.com, we need an Interior Decor for our home project. Thank you."

• PRO
    Createahome
    4年前

I was contacted by Mrs Thompson via text just now. Phone number (928) 379-2387

• PRO
    Girl Meets Lake
    4年前

I was contacted via text by Mrs Thompson today phone 928 379 2387 and a Mrs Gonsales 302 212 0430 on September 28th. Exact same message text message from both wanting staging.

• PRO
    Sevin Design Co.
    4年前

Hello! I too received a text message on 10/16/19 at 3:16pm EST form same phone number: 928-379-2387 that said "Hi, I'm Mrs Thompson, I got your contact on Houzz. Pls, email me at: tkirk.tech@gmail.com, we need an Interior Decor/Staging for our home project. Thank you." I'm reporting it to Houzz as well. It seems very odd since I don't believe I have my number posted on my Houzz profile. Stay safe and aware out there!

• PRO
    House of you Interior Design
    4年前

I too received a text from "Mrs. Thompson". Thought she seemed a little fishy.

• PRO
    Art by Design Interiors
    4年前

I got one as well from Mrs. Thompson. It started with a text about helping in her new home. I emailed her and got a reply back from Kirk Thimpson that he wanted my phone and address to set up a "meet" next week when they got into town. 928-379-2387 beware!

• jtummi1
    4年前

Evidently "Mrs Joana" @ jonazach8@gmail.com gets around!

• PRO
    Nancy Bowden Stewart Design
    4年前
    最終更新:4年前

Same exact text, from Mrs. Joana at 928-379-2387! she's targeting the New Orleans area!

• PRO
    NV Interiors
    4年前

Yikes, I thought this was a little off too! The same number contacted me first via text 928-379-2387, Mrs. Thompson, tkirk.tech@gmail.com.

• PRO
    Koos Design
    4年前

First message..

• PRO
    Koos Design
    4年前

First Email.... with attached photos of her and her “family” and another photo of her son. After a response from me, she then sent photos of furniture and accessories that she already sourced and has planned to be delivered. It already seemed odd but what stopped me and made me research her contact was the fact she has a Frozen toddler bed sources for her “son“ who was clearly a very small baby boy.

• PRO
    NV Interiors
    4年前

Same here all the details were just a bit off. What do you suppose this scam is all about? Based on our email exchange they can’t meet in person and want to pay with a certified check. Obviously the project is not real but what are they looking for??? Just wasting our time? So lame.

• elunia
    4年前

For what it’s worth, you can report these types of things to the FTC. FTC Complaint Assistant

I used this website when we were receiving Robo calls in Mandarin Chinese on our landline (yes, still have one - my Mom & MIL would flip if we got rid of it). The calls were clearly targeting a certain demographic as we could hear English words such as Internal Revenue, Social Security and Immigration in the messages.

• PRO
    Blair C. Price Interiors
    4年前

Just talked to her too. Who knows...

• PRO
    Blair C. Price Interiors
    4年前

Joana zach

• My House
    4年前

Certified Check Scam -How it works:.

You deposit the cert. check, which is over the amount required. They tell you to go ahead and cash the check and send them the difference. Since most ppl believe a certified check is legit, they operate thinking that it is as good as cash, but the check is fake -a good one. YOUR BANK will release funds to you upon receipt of the check rather than waiting for it to clear, but hold you responsible for the bounced deposit/ check should it occur. Criminal has money you gave them. Bank gets their money back from you, plus fees.

• PRO
    COLORS and TEXTURES , LLC
    4年前

I was just contacted as well. Red flag is the verbiage. Texting to request an email follow up. Jody McClaren.
    This is not the first time I have received similar texts/correspondence.

• PRO
    COLORS and TEXTURES , LLC
    4年前

I was just contacted as well. I did respond, but couldn’t help but suspect that it was a phishing attempt. It is not the first time I have received one of these through Houzz.

• PRO
    An Orderly Abode
    4年前

I can’t believe I was the only fool naive enough to fall for this!
    I was also contacted by the infamous Joanna Zach ... she sent pictures, blah blah, etc.
    So many red flags looking back on it...
    1st : the photos of items they purchased were just painfully ugly.
    2: she wouldn’t give me the address.

1. Her verbiage was a way off.

I’m embarrassed to admit it ... but I fell for it. They mailed me a check and explained that they had added on extra funds in order for me to pay the movers.
    I really didn’t think much of it... until they clarified that I was to pay to movers via electronic transfer.
    At this point I had already deposited the check, but made sure not to touch any of that green.
    When she started getting pushy about me “depositing movers payment” I realized it was sketchy !

I went into bank to confirm . Money had temporarily deposited but the check was indeed fraudulent !!
    Capital One gave me a break but if I would have actually spent any of that money or transferred it to the movers account (Joanna) they would have dropped my account, I would have had to come out of pocket to repay, and it would have put a significant hit on my credit.

Moral of the story. She almost screwed me MAJOR !
    Lesson learned.

Because I took it so far.... she gave me the account name and account number that was to receive funds. I would assume that’s his/her account, right ??
    Could that info be used to track her down ?
    I found “Joanna Zack” on facebook in London. But there’s no telling if that’s actually her.

• Rachie Cat
    4年前

Following

• PRO
    Blair House
    4年前

Yes, but it felt scammy, so I ignored it.

• PRO
    Stage A Property
    4年前

received a text too! here Is the text sent below:

Hi, I'm Jody McClaren, I got your contact on Houzz. Pls, email me at: mccjdy112@gmail.com, we need an Interior Decor/Stager for our home project. Thank you.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4年前

Really, really. anyone who has a mobile number on this site is clear out of their mind. : )

• PRO
    DS & O Studio
    4年前

I just received it to from:

Hi, I'm Mr Gonsales, I got your contact on Houzz. Pls, email me at: gonsa54544@gmail.com, we need an inteerior decorator for installation/styling (home staging).Thank you

IGNORE THESE AND BLOCK THE NIMBER ON YOUR PHONE!

• PRO
    waterfolk studio
    4年前

Same story here! I got a text from "Jody McClaren" and followed up with her via email. The verbiage, photos and the circumstances seemed so strange! I told her we'd bill her via PayPal and that I would need to set up a FaceTime or Zoom call before sending her a quote and contract. Obviously she didn't go for that and I haven't heard back since. So ridiculous! Glad I didn't get scammed, but completely wasted my time!

• Sue Kurtz
    4年前

Yep! Just got the text, and suspicious, I googled the email address they gave me ... jonazach8... and all I found confirmed my suspicions. Blocking 'her' now.

• PRO
    Eyeometry Design
    4年前

Mrs. Zach is at it again!:

Hi, I'm Mrs Zach, I got your contact on Houzz. Pls, email me at: jonazach8@gmail.com,we need an Interior decorator for installation/styling (home staging).Thank you

(‪Text from (320) 894-5013‬)

• HouzzUser-40317427
    4年前

Yes - just cut her off this morning! Makes me want to delete my Houzz account

• Mike Savoy
    4年前

Got this this morning. I live on an island off the coast of Massachusetts.

• PRO
    Figar Handy Solutions LLC
    4年前

Good morning I report Jody Mclaren, this person is sending mail, requesting information, I'm sorry I wasted my time, I do not understand how there are unscrupulous people who did this to this.

• PRO
    Sandy Newhart Designs
    4年前

Hi everyone!

I also have been getting text messages. This has been about 4 in the past year. I live in Pennsylvania.

This one today is from Mrs. Zach. It says:

Hi, I'm Mrs Zach, I got your contact on Houzz. Pls, email me at: jonazach8@gmail.com,we need an Interior decorator for installation/styling (home staging).Thank you. The phone number was 1(620)482-0641. It is definitely a scam... BEWARE. DON'T E-MAIL OR RESPOND... BLOCK AND DELETE IMMEDIATELY... I am reporting it to Houzz as well.

• PRO
    Picture Perfect Design by Marnie
    4年前

Same story here... I received a text today from "Mrs. Zach" at 620-482-0641 saying she wants help staging her new house. She asked for me to email her at jonazach8@gmail.com. SCAM FOR SURE!!!

• PRO
    Merits Design Group, Inc.
    3年前

I’m a designer in the Atlanta area and received the exact same text request. When I emailed her (Mrs Mathew) and asked to set a time to discuss her project, and then I received the EXACT same email that others have posted above. Beware!

• PRO
    Sarafine, Inc. 212 661 7850
    3年前

I got the same email - say ing they were from London. I told them I need the exact address to be staged. Never heard back. I came here to see if it was a scam. His email was Karpfthoma@gmail.com

• PRO
    Allison Fresco Interiors
    8か月前

Same thing happened to me. I did not fall for it. It seems that all the stories are the same.

On Aug 1, 2023, at 8:26 PM, Lizzy Ford maldrb36ft@gmail.com wrote:

Hello

I really appreciate your response and I'm glad to read from you. My name is Polly F., I'm married and I have a 6 months old daughter Naomi. I am a Graphic Artist, I work independently. I get hired by advertising agencies, printers, etc . My husband, Mathew Lawson is a Software Developer and System Engineer, we are moving back to the United States from Brisbane, Australia, because he just secured a contract and he's to resume First week in October 2023.
    Our busy schedule doesn't give us the luxury of time to put things in place when we arrive, that is why we want you to apply your expertise and give us a good home look. We have ordered furniture and some home appliances, so all we need you to do is to make use of our supplies for the project to stage(furniture and electronics layout, artwork placement, kitchen ware placements etc) once the orders are delivered. I can send you images of the ordered items and house description along with the floor plan.