Houzz Logo Print
serena_hinkel

Do Darker Cabinets have a Place in Today's Remodeled Kitchens?

I'm concerned that our choice of cinnamon-stained cherry cabinets will make our kitchen look dated. House was built in 1967, so kitchen is relatively small by today's standards, but is open to an eating area and family room. We are installing granite countertops. Not too worried about darkness as kitchen does have windows and we will likely install a skylight. Do you have darker cabinets and how do you feel about them???

コメント (13)

• PRO
    Bens General Contracting Corp.
    7年前

Hi Serena. Do you have a picture of the cabinets and granite? Right now white, cream or light cabinets are very popular, however it is a question of taste. If you have any pictures that would help.

Serena HinkelさんはBens General Contracting Corp.さんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    The Kitchen Abode Ltd.
    7年前

In my region, Toronto, this is the type of cherry that has gone out of style. It's not so much that it's cherry, it's that typical red stain color.

Graham

Serena HinkelさんはThe Kitchen Abode Ltd.さんにお礼を言いました
  • Anne Duke
    7年前

I put walnut cabinets in a windowless kitchen three years ago. With vaarious sources of lighting, all LED and on dimmers, the kitchen is bright and I haven't tired of it. It really depends on the entire space whether to go with light cabinets or not. Presumably you are doing the reno for yourself, so do what you like.

Serena HinkelさんはAnne Dukeさんにお礼を言いました
  • einportlandor
    7年前

Whatever you install today will be "dated" 15 years from now. Choose what makes you feel good in the space.

Serena Hinkelさんはeinportlandorさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    7年前

Walnut is a very upscale wood for cabinets where I live cherry has really gone out of favor why not have them painted by a pro to go with the new granite which BTW is also going out of favor and being replaced with quartz , really do what you love all things become dated . I do however believe white kitchens are a classic

Serena HinkelさんはPatricia Colwell Consultingさんにお礼を言いました
  • acm
    7年前

White is what I use in flips, but I went this way for my own kitchen:

New Kitchen 2016 -- wall 1 after · 詳細

New Kitchen 2016 -- wall 3 after · 詳細
    Looks gorgeous and modern to me, and we love it. Of course, I plan to die in this house (or maybe stay here until my knees give out), so I don't really care about other people's tastes. Something will go out of style, I'm sure (oh, gray? how 2016!), but wood always has an audience.

Serena Hinkelさんはacmさんにお礼を言いました
  • Casandra383 Dean
    7年前
    Our summer project that isn't quite finished....
    I have 5 kids and cook in my kitchen constantly, white would be a nightmare!!
    Serena HinkelさんはCasandra383 Deanさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    User
    7年前

A traditional cherry kitchen may not be "in style" but it is never out of style. Especially in a more conservative area of the country. I've done several projects recently with cherry, and the customers love it. They have a classic sense of style, and loved the classic look.

Warm Cherry Traditional · 詳細

This one even used, *gasp* arched door cabinets. Which are making a bit of a comeback, BTW.

More Storage Please! · 詳細

Here, the great quality existing cherry cabinets were updated by new appliances and new granite. And the kitchen is still a traditional stunner.

Germantown Refresher · 詳細

This isn't to say that white is not popular. It's insanely popular! But, it is far from being the whole market.

• smileythecat
    7年前

Are you going to replace the 1967 cabs? Or put a new countertop on the old ones?

• Serena Hinkel
    質問の投稿者
    7年前

All new.

• jhmarie
    7年前

Linda - I saw similar arched cabinets in a Parade Home last spring.

Serena - my neighbor's new kitchen has darker wood cabinets. There is lots of light and it looks really nice.

• smileythecat
    7年前

Well go with what you like, I think the cherry looks really rich. We are all just chasing trends, like hemlines.