Houzz Logo Print
beckym7696

Cedar shake

Hi there!

I just have a quick question for you. Do you have any recommendations on a good looking vinyl siding that looks like cedar shake? Any thoughts would help!

Thank you!

Rebecca
12th Road North Residence · 詳細

コメント (3)

• PRO
    Ossolinski Architects, PLLC
    7年前

Thanks for your interest. We are not familiar with vinyl shingles. If you can't use real cedar shingles due to cost, we suggest using HardieShingle Staggered-Edge Panels. They are thinner than real wood shingles and therefore cast smaller shadows and look flat, to a trained eye. That said, it is a great product. It can come with integral color or paintable. We believe that vinyl should always be used selectively and surrounded by lots of non-vinyl products like the project above that you selected. Context always matters; and its the subtle details like shadows and proportion, for example, that end up making big differences in our sometimes unconscious appreciation of things like houses. Hope this is helpful. Matt

• Rebecca Latham
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    Matt, thanks for the reply. After careful consideration, we've decided to go with real cedar shakes. Any complaints on it?
  • PRO
    Ossolinski Architects, PLLC
    7年前

My pleasure. No complaints from our clients; I think you will like it. The paradox is that quality products frequently need more maintenance than less expensive ones, to some degree. So, depending on your climate, you should plan to re-stain or re-paint cedar more often than concrete siding, (or live with fading vinyl.