Houzz Logo Print
jej12

Kitchen & Living Room Help

jej12
7年前

Hello! I would love to have a Houzz worthy design, but I'm stuck and would love advice.

We recently painted walls Revere Pewter and trim White Dove (Benjamin Moore). I'm attaching pics of our kitchen, living and dining room so you can get an idea of what I'm working with. Here are my dilemas:

1. Paint kitchen table and buy new chairs? Or all new? Love the look of round pedestal table and slip covered chairs (maybe from Ikea) - but I do have 3 kiddos. Open to anything, but do not have a designer budget.

2. Lighting in Kitchen. The island lights do not match color of the kitchen table chandelier. Thoughts? Is this okay or should I change one? Love the glass pendant lights - just not sure how much dust shows on those though.

3. Living Room furnishings. The sofa is still in great shape however, I don't LOVE the greenish tones in it with my new paint. I don't really want to replace it, but maybe I should? I do feel like we need more seating even though not much room. Have thought of purchasing 2 chairs that coordinate. Also, any opinions on which coffee table is best here? Or neither? I love the picture above the mantle, but it is way too small. I have it there for inspiration! Open to suggestions here.

4. Dining Room. I can't afford to get new furniture. I like what I have, but the color of chairs has some burgundy and gold. Do you like the lamps on buffet and do you like the idea of hanging the sundial mirror above buffet?

Also will need to get new window coverings eventually. My old blinds were too nasty and yellowed to go back up. So thoughts here are welcome, too. I'm open. Just want a pretty yet casual home. Although, I can't afford to spend too much. I think many of us are in this dilemma! Look forward to comments and thoughts. Thanks!!

コメント (5)

• auntthelma
    7年前

Perhaps the picture above the mantle can go above the dining room sideboard.

I like the wood coffee table.

jej12さんはauntthelmaさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    User
    7年前

Hello! Wow, you have lots of great questions and dilemmas here. My name is Staci, I am an Interior Designer based out of Cincinnati, Ohio. Here are my thoughts, hope they help!

1. From your photo the kitchen table looks pretty nice, you could definitely keep that and go for some new chairs for a more updated look. Painting the table would just depend what the new chairs look like.

2. I would definitely replace the two chandeliers over the island for pendants or something more simple. They do clash with your other chandelier.

3. Have you thought about just re upholstering your sofa or buying a new slipcover of another color? That might help spruce it up a bit, I agree the green isn't doing much for the room. Two coordinating chairs sound like a good idea. I would go with the glass top coffee table, the other one looks too over sized for the room and the scale of the furniture. However, if you get two new chairs in there I would revisit which coffee table because that could change things.

4. I think your dining room furniture looks fine, you can always replace down the road if you want, it sounds like the focus is on other things right now. I'm not sure that the sundial mirror really goes with the style of your furniture. Something else on that wall might be nice though. The lamps make a nice touch but could look overbearing with the wrong accessories. If you opt for the lamps go for simple accessories.

5. Window treatments- Maybe just some simple white wood blinds would be nice, or some nice roman shade. It's always safe to go with something simple on the windows!

I hope my quick advice helps, let me know if you have any questions for me!

-Staci

jej12さんはUserさんにお礼を言いました
  • jej12
    質問の投稿者
    7年前

Thank you Staci!! Okay, if I were to replace living room and kitchen table furniture, is there a look you think would look nice? Unfortunately, the top of my kitchen table is in bad shape (nail polish, sharpie, scratches) so would like to paint or get something new. If you have time to post a picture/sources of what you think would look great, that would be super helpful. As far as pendants above island, is there any that you really like that are not super expensive? Thanks again. Hope you have a great day!!

• PRO
    Misani Custom Kitchens
    7年前

Certainly helps when your questions are so well organized! Your kitchen table appears to be solid, I would try chalk painting and distressing it to lighten it up. I would replace the light fixtures and have recommended glass often, cleaning has not been an issue. Big fan of slip covers too! Very chic and washable too

jej12さんはMisani Custom Kitchensさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO