Houzz Logo Print
dynamo91

What to put on walls in downstairs toilet - what do you have?

dynamo91
7年前

We've ripped out our downstairs toilet. And trying to decide on what to put on the walls. There was tiles 3/4 of the way up the wall and the rest painted.

Thinking about rearo selkie boards but it's a bit more than we thought, (we are in the middle of doing our kitchen too). We considered the cheaper pvc panels but not so sure.

Not a fan of tiles.

Our other choice is to skim and paint but plasterer is fully booked until October.

I like this photo but the wall is tiles (I think) similar shape to ours with a similar sink and unit. The window quite high above sink and toilet is close coupled.

Hornchurch Family Home · 詳細

So what do you have in yours? Photos would be welcome :-D

コメント (15)

• PRO
    Create Perfect
    7年前

Do you have photos of the space? It would give us a much better idea of what we are working with?

Are you doing the work yourself then? Rearo selkie boards are really easy to install so that's a good idea.

I offer a great affordable 3D package which allows you to see the room before making costly changes.. if that's any help to you?

Please feel free to get in touch. All the best, Gina

• dynamo91
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    photos of our downstairs toilet.
    I would have preferred a wall hung sink but the pipework is coming out from the floor. going to get a price for moving them.
    and also a back to wall toilet with either a unit or blocked in. but can't find a small toilet.
    measurements are
    103cm (w) x 152cm (l)
  • dynamo91
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    so the options are selkie boards halfway up all the way round. walls painted white and with a mirror above the toilet.

the brick effect (in photo above) on window wall. around boxed in pipes and halfway up wall behind toilet with mirror above. left hand wall painted.

or these tiles (I know I said I didn't like tiles but found these) doing either option as above.
  • Doirin Duggan
    7年前

I like the tiles you found yourself. They would be lovely on your sink wall, as in your 1st picture. The tiler can take off the window ledge and your window could just sit nicely into the wall. The illuminated mirror in the 1st image is a lovely touch if you could stretch to it.

• dynamo91
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    thanks doirin. I don't know if I want to take the window ledge off. so it would just be tiled up to the pvc. it's just the added expense of a tiler is putting me off.
    my brother can fit the selkie boards and probably the stone panels.

I hate making decisions. lol
  • dgmeade
    7年前

Nothing that isn't pleasing to the eye and also easy to keep clean. Some of these tiling options look like dust traps.

• PRO
    Pamela Langbridge Curtains and Upholstery
    7年前

Mine has just been redone with a lovely warm beige/ pink mottled tile. They are large rectangular and matching floor tiles. Have bought in colour with towels, plants and 1 picture

• Monica
    7年前

You can have the pipes ran up inside the wall at this stage with not much problem at all, it makes such a huge difference seeing the floor and being able to clean with ease. Totally worth it in my opinion and you can have the wall hung basin.

• dynamo91
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    thank you. we're just waiting on the plumber to give us a price for this.
  • PRO
    Croydon Window Company Ltd
    7年前
    最終更新:7年前

Hi, glass wall could look very sleek and contemporary?

• obobble
    7年前
    I love the look of split face tiles and always gravitate towards them - right up until the moment when I start to think how difficult they will be to keep clean and practicality wins the day.
  • dynamo91
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    I'm thinking the same odobble.
    as someone previously said. sorry can't scroll up to see. they are a bit of dust collectors.
  • PRO
    Anita Bourne t/a DefinitiveInteriorDesign.com
    7年前

Hi Dynamo, I'm responsible for the design in your photo and delighted you like the look of this room. You would only need a few square meters of the split mosaic tiles which are available of sheets, so not expensive for a striking feature. Also, easy to keep free of dust with a quick once over with a dust pan brush, or brush attachment on your vacuum cleaner . WC's are often overlooked but when you consider its a room you use every day and your guests use too, why not make it an enjoyable experience! An alternative and very inexpensive idea for your walls and my signature in practically every home I renovate, is installing 6mm MDF panelling with a 10mm shadow gap in between each panel, apply with Pink Gripfil adhesive. 600mm x 600mm square or horizontal panels of any height add a sense of depth and soul to boring flat, painted walls. A sheet of MDF is cheap as chips, just make sure you prime and undercoat thoroughly with a mini roller before applying eggshell finish or acrylic paint. It's not a main bathroom so not susceptible to humidity, therefore emulsion paint in a contrast shade will work well too. To see an example of panelling on a larger scale (Wenge stained Oak veneered MDF), take a look at the sitting room wall in the Chelsea Harbour apartment featured on my profile page.

• Joanna C
    7年前
    If you like the split face tiles, then you should just have them. After all, it's a location where they are unlikely to get dirty so I wouldn't worry about cleaning them.