Houzz Logo Print
nz22222

What do you think of this old AND new style?

NZtwobytwo
7年前

I can't decide if I like this idea - that you mix and match different elements from the past and present.

What do you think?

A traditional Villa with a glamorous twist · 詳細

My kitchen is currently pretty heinous

コメント (10)

• scottevie
    7年前

Is that a mirror above the stove? Glamorous yes, practical no! It is a very different look to your current... I like the warmth from some timber elements.

• Bernadette Staal
    7年前

I agree with the three statements above. My initial thoughts were that your kitchen and the example you provided as an alternative idea - is that they are no way alike and I do not think you could ever turn your old kitchen into the new. I also couldn't believe there was a mirror above the oven in the newer kitchen. Unless they are using this for reflective light - what are they thinking? Back to your kitchen - my first thought was ..... the pictures of the chef all around the top of the cupboards have to go. I would also try to remove the cupboards above the stove to add height to that space, as it currently looks like you would have to duck down every time you wish to cook and height automatically adds the felling of spaciousness. You could then add a feature wall of tiles / glass if you wished to (without a mirror). Normally I would never recommend someone paint lovely wood but in this case maybe a lovely fresh white finish may help because your kitchen appears (based on the photo) to be dark (natural light wise) and white is amazing for adding light and freshness. As we can not see the rest of the space and storage maybe at a premium I can not recommend anything else except to perhaps consider replacing the under cupboard lighting with bright mini LED lights (if the lighting is required). Remember the term ..... less is more. Good Luck.

• Cattie
    7年前

You can mix past and present, but it may require a skilled designer to get it right, especially if you want to make a statement. To my eye, the example you show doesn't do it. All I see is a lot of cornices and the big black squares.

You may want to stop reading here, because you didn't ask for advice....

I suggest thinking about what you want to change in terms of function, before choosing the colours. do you have space for more storage? For example, is there another spot for the microwave? Having things at hand on the bench may be the way you work, so it's worth thinking about this if your kitchen designer encourages you to declutter.

I can understand that you want to update the look, but I like the current cabinets. It looks like Tasmanian oak, which is a lovely warm timber.

• msminx
    7年前

If one wishes to live in a HOUSE then certainly stick to a 'style' or an 'era', afterall, it doesn't have to reflect YOU and your life, but if one wishes to live in a HOME then blending old and new (tastefully!) usually adds character, warmth and a sense of the residents unique personality.

• jsidecor
    7年前

You could just take a few elements from the kitchen you are looking at. I think the black is a bit overkill in that example and agree with everyone that the mirror is not practical. You could, for example, paint all your cupboards white and change a couple of your top cabinets to glass doors. Rather than black splash back tiles, you could just go classic white subway tiles with black grout. Copy the benchtop and then just add a few touches of black with wrought iron knobs and lighting.

• diannechandler_31
    7年前
    I think existing cupboards look in really good condition, so I would leave. I would put new glass splash back, new stainless appliances and declutter bench. That would make big difference.
  • PRO
    V Richards
    7年前

Both the pics say "OLD" to me ... (the "new" inspirational pic has been done so many times) ... the black trimming makes the whole kitchen look very heavy, busy and "cluttered".

Consider streamlining to carry you into the next decade or two!

• PRO
    Cordony Group
    7年前

I agree with Dianne, the cabinets are in good condition. If you are on a budget, it can be as simple as a paint refresh, kitchen resurfacing & floating floors installed. All done in 3 weeks too!

High Street, Willoughby (2) · 詳細
    High Street, Willoughby (2) · 詳細
    Otherwise, heres some inspiration from other Kitchens we have styled:
    Windsor Road, Willoughby · 詳細

First Avenue, Willoughby · 詳細
    Griffin Place, Glebe · 詳細
    Raymond Street, Neutral Bay · 詳細
    White Street, Artarmon · 詳細

• PRO
    Jigsaw Projects
    7年前

Personally I LOVE it! I personally love to have elements of new and old, I think it makes your overall look less likely to date. I have a mixture of both and it works, I just go with finding things that I really love, whether they be old or new. Look up 'transitional' style kitchens on here or Pinterest and you'll find that in between style :)