Houzz Logo Print
john_evers

Where to hang drapery rod?

Mary
11年前
I would like to make new window treatments for my living room. I thought that would be a good time to relocate the drapery rod on the Palladian window.

But I don't know where to put it. Right now it's at the same height as the adjacent window. But it's cutting across the Palladian part. And it bugs me. I can't take it higher because the ceiling line gets in the way.

Option 1...Use 2 smaller/shorter rods, one on each side of the palladian, keeping them at the same height as the adjacent window.
Option 2...Move to a new house with better windows.
Option 3...Get a life & quit worrying about it.

コメント (8)

• PRO
    Blue Ocean Studio
    11年前
    Is that a shade with a casette at the top of your window? If so, that is what you should use for privacy. The drapery on the Clerestory window should hang as side panels only, with a rod that is cut short, so it doesn't go all the way across the window. You could extend the panels over a bit, to the sides, and get yourself a short rod, only 2 feet across on each side of the window. It would look much more custom, and not so ready made-this is all I could come up with.
  • Mayang Klyncu
    11年前
    for me i would just take off the drapery rod and panel and let it be without it.. looks like u have blind hang in there already.. that enough for palladian window
    or I used to watched one of Sarah House series.. for this kind of window she done with roman blind. it start from the very top of that arch.. so when you look at from the inside you window its just like big rectangular normal window
  • decoenthusiaste
    11年前
    Here are a couple of approaches that might work. The window on the left and that lower ceiling are the issue. You could do the drapery and shades at the arched window and then as matching cornice and shades at the side window.
    Spanish Villa · 詳細
    Traditional Family Room · 詳細
  • camint
    11年前
    Hi! You've received some great ideas and I like Connie's suggestion with the arched treatment. That could be stunning! Another suggestion close to your "option 1" would be using shorter, custom cut, substantial rods with decorative finials on BOTH windows. Keeping the treatments hung where they are presently. On the regular double hung window, I would add some scroll-y iron art to the center of wall, length wise for added interest. You may also mix the arched style option w/short custom rods and still add decorative piece in center. Your choice:) hope these ideas have given you some inspiration!
  • PRO
    Yoko Oda Interior Design
    11年前
    Custom draperies are costly. If you are planning to move, I wouldn't tackle this project. If you're staying in your current house, I would recommend your option 1 with new blinds, draperies and hardware. If you would like to keep the cost down, I would change out hardware only and keep the current drapes. I think dark wooden rods would complement your existing furnishings more than your current white ones. You can easily find short rods for the Palladian window at any home goods store. Hope this helps.
  • PRO
    Blue Ocean Studio
    9年前
    Hey Mary E, re: your option: Get a Life and Don't Worry about it? Only for folks with Low Standards and really really Low maintenance (so much so that you have to take their pulse to see if their breathing- I'm sure you know the type.) My husband thinks he'd be happier if I had lower standards and I could just leave the drapes alone !!
    But I can assure you, if I had low standards about my house, then I'd have them about myself, too, and I don't think he'd appreciate me wearing old blouses with 80's shoulder pads just because I "have a life" and they're still in one piece; chopping my hair off longer on one side than the other and just leaving it that way because, hey, it's just hair and it will grow back; or maybe not combing my hair at all or wearing any makeup at all like some women I see (he never finds them attractive at all, funny thing). So go ahead, obsess about your drapes, I bet you take care of yourself too, and you're one good looking woman.
  • PRO
    Rachel @ Ethan Allen
    9年前
    Here are a few more ideas