Houzz Logo Print
chloebud

When Your Driveway Becomes a Street

chloebud
7年前

Just curious about opinions here. Our house is set back from the street a ways, and we have a long, circular driveway. There are several small cul de sacs off our street, too. Some guy in a truck keeps driving through our driveway rather than just pulling in and backing up in the street to turn around. He could also easily turn around in one of the cul de sacs. It seems pretty bold and unsettling that he just cruises through our driveway like he lives here. My first thought is, "What is he looking for?" I did get a license number and called the cops. Aside from agreeing with me, they pretty much blew me off. Right now we have an empty trash can in the middle of the driveway. However, it's inconvenient us and looks stupid. What would you do? Spike strip? LOL...we'd only forget and drive over it ourselves.

コメント (74)

• chloebud
    質問の投稿者
    7年前

Love it, oc!

So appreciate all the comments! My best guess (hope!) is this is some clueless high school kid off in la-la land. Much better than someone scoping out our house! However, if it's for scoping purposes, they're pretty lame at it. Right up and through the driveway!

• Em Bee
    7年前
    最終更新:7年前

My husband says this: Your husband (because men mostly will ignore women) needs to tell this guy: "Hey Man...How are ya today?? Look. This isn't a thoroughfare. Stop coming through our driveway. It is ours, we own it, we maintain it, we pay taxes on it, so stop already. Cool? Good. Have a nice day".

chloebudさんはEm Beeさんにお礼を言いました
  • JustDoIt
    7年前

Playtime is over!

chloebudさんはJustDoItさんにお礼を言いました
  • shirlpp
    7年前

Put up a sign that has his license plate number on it with the words I SEE YOU!

chloebudさんはshirlppさんにお礼を言いました
  • Geneviève
    7年前

Looking at all the signs that they sell you are not the only one with that problem. Perhaps controlled entry gates would be a solution .

chloebudさんはGenevièveさんにお礼を言いました
  • Geneviève
    7年前

Residential Fence Projects · 詳細

• Jan
    7年前
    I have the same problem, but we are on the corner so it goes from side street to Main Street. I'm afraid one of these days I'll back out of the garage into a car. I just don't understand why people think this is ok. I don't even turn around in someone's driveway.
    Haven't come with an answer yet, other than keeping some rocks handy, haha.
    chloebudさんはJanさんにお礼を言いました
  • chloebud
    質問の投稿者
    7年前

You all are too funny!

shirlpp and FinallyHome...those sign ideas are hilarious...and would probably work!

Honestly, what is wrong with people and their brains? I don't know of anyone, including all of YOU, who would just cruise through someone's driveway/property willy-nilly like this nimrod does.

• Em Bee
    7年前

Chloebud...they sell outdoor alarms that are wireless. You have the receiver in the house, but at both ends of the driveway you have two stakes. On this is a sensor that wil sound a "ding-dong" into your house when people or a car pass through the sensors. If you did this, you would get a head's up of when someone other than family is accessing your drive. This will give you time to see who it is and run out to stop them and speak with them. Handy as heck especially at night ...it tells you if there are trespassers. They are around 40 dollars at Lowes. Failing this expense, can you get an old bike and lay it on your driveway?? Or a couple of lawn chairs??

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    7年前

If you have the right contacts, his license plate is his name tag.

I was coming home one late afternoon (commuter traffic) and there is one lane clearly marked"left turn only". Long line of traffic, all behaving, waiting for the green arrow.

This woman, with her young daughter in the passenger seat, comes up on my right and tries to push me out of the lane so she can have my spot. Well, she yelled and screamed obscenities and gave me the bird. I rolled my window down and said you are messing with the wrong gal. Wrote down her license number and when I got home I called my husband at work (trial court). He ran the number; got the address and I wrote her a letter which informed her I was reporting her to the State police, her local police and her insurance company informing them of her dangerous and abusive behavior toward me and witnessed by her young daughter.

Of course, I never saw her again, but I bet and hope that scared her.

What if you had young children playing in the driveway, or your pet was lying in the shade of the trees, or you're backing out at the same time? If you think about all the dangerous scenarios; he is not just annoying but very dangerous.

Just asked my husband for a suggestion. His recommends you not confront him alone but, take your complaint and his license number to the registry of motor vehicles. Also, see if you can get a picture of the truck on your property.

chloebudさんはJudyG Designsさんにお礼を言いました
  • chloebud
    質問の投稿者
    7年前

Judy, hopefully, that letter stuck with her and straightened her out. I would have loved to see her reaction when she read it!

Years ago I went to the
    DMV with a license number. For just 75 cents
    I got the guy’s name, address, VIN number AND social security number. It’s a long story, but it took care of the problem.

I agree with your husband…confronting him isn’t very smart. Taking a picture of him in the driveway could
    be tough, but it’s not a bad idea. I gave
    the police his license number, but maybe I should be more aggressive about it.

I have a little update.
    Late yesterday I was out in front and noticed a black truck coming up
    the street. I was too far up from the
    street and couldn’t see the license number.
    The truck proceeded up the
    street. I figured if it was him, he saw
    me and kept going. I walked out closer
    to the street and waited to see if the truck came back down. It did and it was him. I ran to my car, but by the time I got out of
    the garage, through the gate and down the street, he was gone. I still drove around looking but no
    luck. As I was coming back, I noticed a
    black truck parked in a small lot behind the high school that’s close to
    us. These days I tend to notice every black
    truck around! I turned in the lot…it was THE truck but no one was in it. I have no
    clue what he was doing in a deserted high school parking at 6 pm on a
    Sunday. Is he a maintenance worker there…or
    what? I left the lot and parked in the
    street farther away, but he never came back to the truck. Darn…I wanted to see if he looked like a high
    school kid or someone older. I drove
    home feeling like it seemed a little more sinister than before…?

• chloebud
    質問の投稿者
    7年前

Em Bee, that alarm is actually a good idea! As Judy's husband suggested, I don't think confronting him is wise. These days you just never know what might happen.

I think (hope!) the empty planter I put in the driveway should help as much as a bike or chairs. It's a good size planter...about 10 gallons. As I mentioned to Judy, I feel even more unsettled after yesterday afternoon's "encounter." I have this vision of him being some type of maintenance worker at the high school with no reason whatsoever to be on our street...or in my driveway!

• shirlpp
    7年前

Wow!! This post is reading like a novel. Keep it coming!

chloebudさんはshirlppさんにお礼を言いました
  • susanalanandwrigley
    7年前

If your concern is use of your driveway, you have lots of good ideas from signs to alarms to items blocking the way. But if your concern is a car that is lurking around your neighborhood for unknown reasons, then you should contact the police with as much information as you can and have them check it out. If you wait until you hear about a robbery, abduction, or assault with a suspicious black truck, you'll be kicking yourself. Likely it is nothing, there is probably a reasonable explanation, but have the police assess that.

chloebudさんはsusanalanandwrigleyさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    7年前

Chloe, I think we all agree that it is annoying at best and creepy at its worst. You have sorted it out that this is not one of your neighbors being rude. The truck doesn't belong in your neighborhood and certainly not in your driveway.

Give the police a personal visit. Ask them if a patrol car drive by on the times black truck comes around. They should also check out the school area. In this day and age, who knows what is going on in that person's head.

I agree, I would be creeped out as well.

chloebudさんはJudyG Designsさんにお礼を言いました
  • chloebud
    質問の投稿者
    7年前

Judy, my husband actually did go to the police department on Saturday morning. He waited for half an hour, then had to leave. The police did tell me they would patrol the street. The problem is the times I've seen the truck in our driveway are all over the map. However, I'll keep calling them each time I see the truck on our property. At least now I can mention the high school. If he works there, that should help. I'll drive by the parking lot again today to see if I see that black GMC Sierra.

• User
    7年前

He could be casing your house, or one of your neighbours, or both.

chloebudさんはUserさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Circle Goods Reclaimed
    7年前

Would you be opposed to going "middle school" on his a$$? Maybe throw some eggs haha

chloebudさんはCircle Goods Reclaimedさんにお礼を言いました
  • yvonnecmartin
    7年前

Do you have a security system for your house? Maybe that company has products that would let known cars into the driveway, but not others. If another vehicle enters, it would alert you so that you can press a button to let in the UPS driver or infrequent visitors. Sorry, this is such a paranoid suggestion, but I see that your house is set back and that part of the front is shaded from the street by trees.

chloebudさんはyvonnecmartinさんにお礼を言いました
  • chloebud
    質問の投稿者
    7年前

Tribble, my husband's convinced he's looking at/for something, even if it's not related to us. He said it could be a high school kid watching an ex-girlfriend's house or maybe something drug related.

Circle Goods Reclaimed, I don't think I'll toss any eggs, but, trust me, I'd like to!

yvonnecmartin, good idea! One thing I don't get...if he's casing our house, why be so freaking obvious? Sure seems coming right through the driveway is just lame.

A little more update...this afternoon I drove into the high school parking lot where I found his truck yesterday (Sunday). It's there again today, so this guy must be connected to the school in some way/shape/form.

• PRO
    Cinar Interiors, Inc.
    7年前

Take photos of said vehicle entering and exiting your property, make sure you have good clear shots of the license plate. Call police and make report for illegal trespass, suspicious vehicle.
    Probably some punk kid that thinks they are being funny. I used to be that punk kid. Took 1 time for a police officer to pull me over to set me straight.

• User
    7年前

Drug related is bad. Go to inform the school.

• deannaknauff
    7年前

Why not just keep your own car parked in the drive for a few days. That would be a good driveway block.

• deannaknauff
    7年前

Then hope he doesn't drive across your lawn!

• chloebud
    質問の投稿者
    7年前

Cinar Interiors, I've called the police twice regarding the trespassing and suspicious vehicle. Photos are hard since by the time I notice him he's close to going out the driveway.

What would I say to the school having no proof this is drug relate?

deanna, this guy strikes me as someone who would drive across the lawn. That would definitely light a fire under me! I'd rather not park my car in front, BUT lots of our neighbors do. One reason he's probably using our driveway!

• orangecamera
    7年前

I think when deciding to notify the police or school system about this truck being parked at the school: "If you see something, say something." If it's really harmless (aside from his weird habit of driving through your property) then you've lost nothing. If something's really going on, you could be the one to stop it.

The paranoid part of my brain thinks he's testing the waters, to see how vigilant the neighborhood is, and how responsive the police are. If nothing's done, it will let him (them???) know nobody's watching.

chloebudさんはorangecameraさんにお礼を言いました
  • jmm1837
    7年前

Hmm. How about parking your car halfway round the drive, which will give you time to get a photo of him as he has to stop and back up? Maybe even get one of those nice CCTV cameras (I don't know about there, but here, you can rent them - builders use them all the time on construction sites). Put it on a pole in an obvious site so he knows he's being filmed.

chloebudさんはjmm1837さんにお礼を言いました
  • smm5525
    7年前

I'd start with a sign and see if that helps.

chloebudさんはsmm5525さんにお礼を言いました
  • Geneviève
    7年前

For some people it really makes no difference if there is a sign or not , some don't see it or pretend not to have seen it , it's all a matter of respect to an individual an animal or a property either private or not if people luck of respect a sign is a waste of money .

• smm5525
    7年前

I think it depends, can u post a pic of your driveway, maybe that will help come up with good solutions.

• Maureen
    7年前

Lots of young male drivers especially are enamored with their cars and their new found freedom and have no thought as to children's safety, private property - they own the road. We had a new driver tear up and down our crescent to get home and the street is full of kids. We used to hold up your hands and wave for him to slow down. We ended up speaking to his parents and it was resolved that day (probably threatened to take the car away). I would block off the entrance and live with the inconvenience for a bit and he may find another option. If not, I would go to the school and they should have license plates/owner information and let your husband/principal have a chat with him. Say you are very concerned around safety and it is also private property and he could be incurring tickets as the police will have to be notified. Don't let on you already have and they haven't done very much.

chloebudさんはMaureenさんにお礼を言いました
  • Depo
    7年前
    Believe me, a sign is not going to stop this guy. I have a big NO PARKING sign in our spot at our downtown condo. Went down there yesterday and there was yet another truck parked there! What is it with guys in trucks thinking they are above the rules? I get so sick of it!
    chloebudさんはDepoさんにお礼を言いました
  • chloebud
    質問の投稿者
    7年前

smm5525...I posted a pic above to show the driveway...or part of it.

I'm totally convinced now this guy is on staff at the high school. The school is literally around the corner from us. This morning I checked their parking lot again and the truck is there. I called the school and they told me that lot is for staff only with assigned parking. They said today the lot is full due to staff being there for meetings and other things right before school starts week. I took a couple pics of the truck, although I realize it's probably pointless with it not being on my property. LOL...so as not to look too suspicious, I also took pics of other things.

Maybe I should have, but I didn't tell the school why I was calling. To be honest, I'm a little concerned about this guy knowing I've contacted the police and school...???

Geez...I guess TEACHERS can be just as ditsy as their students behind a wheel! And why does a TEACHER who has nothing to do with our street use our driveway?

• smm5525
    7年前

He's prob harmless and ignorant. I'd either try the sign, leave a note on his car or hang out one day and flag him down.

• kiffkat
    7年前

My sister had a similar problem with her circular driveway. I emphasize had.

I told her to do almost exactly what @Em Bee and her husband suggested.

Confront the man the next time you see him.

My sister did just that, using slightly different words as she has 2 children, etc. The driver got the message, and problem solved.

And yes, it is extremely rude, it is trespassing and it is unnerving. Some people are just clueless. If you get the chance, confront the guy! A direct approach is very effective.

• Em Bee
    7年前

Chloebud...how did this issue go today?? We are all wondering I am sure... As I read back through this thread I think it is a teacher or someone connected with working at the school. You need not be afraid. He is just a meathead..arrogant, cocky. He needs tuning up. When you see his vehicle parked at the school go to the school office. Ask who owns the truck that you would like to speak with him. Once he is summoned, tell him your concerns in front of the secretary...this will provide for a witness and make him look very foolish, indeed." Take the bull by the horns!"

• User
    7年前

I always find, if all else fails (talking to the principal and the police), go to the newspaper.

• Em Bee
    7年前

Or, make it known on FB...show the picture of his truck to your friends...

• Em Bee
    7年前

So...how did it go today, Chloebud? Is this an everyday occurance??

• chloebud
    質問の投稿者
    7年前

Em, I haven't noticed anything since Sunday afternoon. Maybe those big empty pots are doing the trick. The high school actually started today...I thought it was next week. Geez...whatever happened to school starting right after Labor Day? Anyway, either my pots are helping, or maybe Mr. GMC Sierra is too busy with his students to be cruising in and out of driveways!

• Em Bee
    7年前

Well that's good. Hopefully he got the drift.

• saratogaswizzlestick
    7年前

Could be a janitor or other support staff. I would talk with someone in the office. Give them the license plate and a description of the truck. Express your concern as you have a blind or deaf grandchild that plays in your yard. I would not be concerned with reprisals. Sounds like simple stupidity to me - plus you know where he works.

chloebudさんはsaratogaswizzlestickさんにお礼を言いました
  • chloebud
    質問の投稿者
    7年前

Yes, hopefully, but I'm not betting on it!

• User
    7年前

Maybe the police had a word. You gave them his number plate, yes?

• chloebud
    質問の投稿者
    7年前

Tribble, I gave the police his license number in January of this year.

• User
    7年前

Good for you, I can't believe it went on this long.

• travisfromtheblock
    7年前

chloe, you are blessed to have a nice house and hope the pots take care of the problem. I have this exact issue going on the past year, and using a city trashcan to block the drive. sadly when it's not blocking it, the same three people always use my property to do a three point turn around. people are careless

chloebudさんはtravisfromtheblockさんにお礼を言いました
  • lbcnu
    7年前

You could always try a "scarecrow" which is actually a high pressure motion-activated sprinkler. I use one in my yard to discourage the raccoons. I bought mine on Amazon.

chloebudさんはlbcnuさんにお礼を言いました
  • chloebud
    質問の投稿者
    7年前

Thanks travis and Ibcnu. I haven't seen the truck come through since I posted this topic. Of course, it doesn't mean it hasn't been here. It's easy for me to check that parking lot at the high school daily, and the truck is there 7 days a week.

• HouzzUser-760801675
    5か月前

We are having the same problem with our circular drive..it is our neighbors and their visitors. If they park on the street instead of driving a short distance up the street to the culdesac or back into their own driveway they use our circular like its part of the street.. We have a ring doirbell that notifys us everytime someone is in the drueway and it is becoming very annoying. We hate to have problems with neighbors but how much do you take? one of them came flying throuh a few days ago, another time it happened at 11:30 PM and really upset me. We have one of our cars parked out there right now which is not that convenient for us. Local police says they can’t really do anything, seems like tresspassing to me. Very frustrating.