Houzz Logo Print
deanne_scott

Not sure how a custom house build quote works...

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone would be able to help explain how a building quote works for me? Would be much appreciated.

So a little background. We have gone into contract with Storybook Designer homes to get a kit home. Due to financial reasons, we are unable to owner build. So we have organized with a builder to do a fixed price quote.

So because it isn't a project build, we select the kitchen and appliances and we select the bathroom from which ever company we want. So my question is, do you think we would go and get quotes ourselves and give the quotes to the builder to include, or do we just tell him what we want and how much we want to spend and he builds the fixed price quote around that?

I know I could ask the builder, but I didn't want to come off as too naïve and open the door to being ripped off because I don't know any better.

Thanks for your time :)

コメント (14)

• Vy
    7年前

from experience if you got quotes yourself go buy it..I gave mine to the builder only to find a 15% margin added on top of my quotes for him to go buy them.

the next renovation the bathroom people offered to take me shopping so I can get trade discounts which saved me money on tiles and bathroom furnitures..

so depends pretty much on who you go with and look carefully at the small writing..

Deanne ScottさんはVyさんにお礼を言いました
  • Vy
    7年前

you could specify range for your items to be included in the quote ie toilet suite $1200-1400..need a price range if you don't know which brands you want as yet or tiles at $100/m2 etc

• Vy
    7年前

just be aware there's a margin that will go on regardless of what you choose if they are to buy it for you..

• Gallifrey
    7年前

Making sure you understand the PC and PS items in the contract. These will include allowances for the kitchen and other joinery. Consider the implications of using your own kitchen company. If you let the builder use their's with your signed off specs, then they are responsible for organising all the trades and coordinating it, and having it under their builder warranty.

Deanne ScottさんはGallifreyさんにお礼を言いました
  • Deanne Scott
    質問の投稿者
    7年前

Thanks for everyone's advice :)

Everything has to be in a fixed price quote, so it would be through the builders warranty. I wouldn't organize a separate company to come in and fit out the kitchen. We want an ikea kitchen and the bathroom we want is from all different companies. I just wasn't sure whether we have to provide all the quotes to the builder or if we just tell him what we want and he purchases it from the places we have selected.

• User
    7年前

If you are already signed to a fixed price contract is is probably too late to negotiate exclusions and inclusions??

We are building at the mo on a fixed price contract, BUT we excluded most PC's from contract, as we have been shopping for a year or more, buying up things on sale/clearance.

Several builders we spoke to actually refused to include kitchens. They were going to leave that to us.

I wouldn't bother giving your builder the quotes, they will probably do better anyway.

Deanne ScottさんはUserさんにお礼を言いました
  • Deanne Scott
    質問の投稿者
    7年前

Thanks Mel N. We haven't selected a builder yet so haven't signed a fixed price quote. Just wanted a little more information on how it all works before we do, but as you mentioned I think it might depend on the builder. Thanks again.

• Gallifrey
    7年前
    What state are you in. In NSW there are consumer guides to explain a lot of this. Must be given to you before you sign a contract.
    Deanne ScottさんはGallifreyさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Additional Concepts Pty Ltd
    7年前

What happens with a quote is you basically build the house on paper based on specifications, size, timeline, and engineering. We also need to consider access into the site (onsite storage, delivery and parking). Some councils require road closers. this can be expensive and can require a substantial amount of notice that will affect your over all timeline. These are just some of the factors to consider.

We generally start with your budget and you dream house criteria, and from there we can work out where we can save money and where you want to invest your money in your house. Having a list of priorities in your project will help a lot when working with your budget.

Good luck with your project! There are a lot of great builder out there who will guide you in the right direction. Keep us posted on how you go!

Deanne ScottさんはAdditional Concepts Pty Ltdさんにお礼を言いました
  • Deanne Scott
    質問の投稿者
    7年前

We are in NSW, so will have to look into getting the consumer guides. Thanks Gallifrey.

Thanks Additional Concepts. We went through Storybook designer homes, so have got total build estimations from them, plus the estimated additional cost to get a builder to complete it for us. We are on a village block so will need to include septic, water tanks and electricity connection in the fixed price quote as well. I have worked out these basic costs and have also worked out how much the kitchen, bathroom and floors would be for material costs only.

We spoke to one builder before we signed up with Storybook and he agreed that he would do it, but obviously it was dependant on costs. We are just waiting for the full breakdown of cost estimations from Storybook and then we will go to get quotes from builders. So this probably isn't the normal run of things!

• PRO
    Additional Concepts Pty Ltd
    7年前

Hi Deanne, now I know your situation, I would suggest you get 2 recommended builders from Storybook Homes. It would definitely pay to use a builder who has built with a kit home design prior. They will better understand the pros and cons of building with a Kit home design and be able to quote more accurately. Storybook certainly have some beautiful looking homes.

All the best!

Deanne ScottさんはAdditional Concepts Pty Ltdさんにお礼を言いました
  • Deanne Scott
    質問の投稿者
    7年前

I just feel in love with Storybook homes as soon as I saw them. Spoilt me for anything else!

We did ask them and they put us on to the builder we spoke with. But unfortunately there are none who have built them in our area, but this builder was recommended. But thank you, good idea to get another builder recommended by Storybook.

• PRO
    User
    7年前

Hi Deanne,
    When you say you are doing the kitchen, does that mean you have to do the planning (design) and specifying of it also?

I would have thought Storybook supplied a home with the (kitchen) plans included?

If not, your builder will be able to guide you, however here are a couple of tips...

1. Choose your appliances early AND STICK WITH THEM. Often individual appliances have specific needs outside of standard eg power requirement (over 10amps), rangehood ducting direction and type, clearances to overhead cupboards, water to fridge etc.

2. Using the appliances, work out the layout (design) of the kitchen and where you want the cooking, cleaning, fridge etc. From there you need to work out power point locations for all appliances (many people forget the microwave) plus the everyday items like phone chargers, toaster, kettle etc.

3. Go to kitchen display showrooms such as Laminex. They have completed kitchens on display where you can understand the difference between a waterfall end (benchtop style), a shaker profile door (Hampton's style cabinet front) and play around with colours and finishes.

4. Put it all together in detail and you have created a specification!

Re finding a builder, I agree with the above. Get a couple of names from Storybook as you don't need beginner mistakes, and go with the builder you guys are COMFORTABLE with. Price is only part of the journey.

Good luck with the build.