Houzz Logo Print
giskim

New washer/dryer dilemma

giskim
7年前

We are in the throws of getting new machines for our second house. We have a laundry room that is about 62" wide and 56" deep. It has a door that swings open, just clearing the dryer on the right with the washer on the left. We have older Maytag units that are on their last legs. There are cabinets on the wall above. We have become huge believers in front loaders, and would like to replace one if possible. The problem comes with the fit. The newer, advanced machines (I was planning on the Electrolux 617) are just too big for the space. We could make it work, but would have to stack them and move the vent, probably the gas and water lines to make it look reasonable (would prefer not to have hoses running all along the wall. We'd have to get new cabinets to fit around the new layout.

The second option is to get the Speed Queen front loader. We could put them side-by-side, but it would be awkward to have the washer on the right as the door hinge is on the right, making it hard to load and unload. We could put the washer on the right, but we would have to move the vent to that side. Also, we have our rechargeable vacuums stored on the left in front of our washer; placing anything with a front door will cause an issue with clearance, with the door swing within about 2 or 3 inches of the wall. We could keep our cabinets as is with this option.

Next option is the Speed Queen stackable; we could put them where our dryer is on the right; to make this work, I would have to install a dryerbox in the wall to allow the unit to be almost flush with the wall. Even so, the depth of the SQ stackable is 28". The installation guide says the washer door depth is 1.5" and washer hose depth of 2.04". I'm not sure that the door would clear, as the open door to back wall measurement is 30.75". If this could work, we could just move our cabinets to the adjacent wall. In fact, we could add cabinets to give a lot more storage space. We could move the machine to the middle of the wall, but I'd have to move the vent. It would also mean that we would have to buy new cabinets. We could also 1) remove the door, or 2) put in a pocket door.

I'm kind of inclined to try the last option; it would give us the most efficient use of our space. Unfortunately, it could add about $700-1000 to install a pocket door, an option that would actually look better overall, but is it worthwhile.

The final option would be to replace with the Speed Queen toploader. Seems like this is the most practical, but not most desirable choice.

Are we making too much out of this? The appliance guy thinks we're nuts; he thinks we should just get the TL and be done with it. Our problem is that we do large and frequent loads and love the cleaning with our FL at home (Miele).

Does anyone have any advice?

コメント (21)

• practigal
    7年前

I am not sure that Speed Queen's build quality makes it worthwhile. It seems to me there have been a lot of issues with their newer machines I would definitely do your research on that point.

If you have the older Maytag TL, the compact Electrolux is really about the same size and it would definitely fit in the area.

I am not a fan of matching appliances. If your dryer is fine there's no reason to replace it. If it's a vented dryer, I would definitely take the time to find a vented dryer. GE makes a compact vented dryer for instance.

• Alex Chicago
    7年前

If you love your Miele at home, why not do the same thing here? If that's too rich for the budget, Practigal's suggestion of the compact Electrolux sure sounds wise.

• giskim
    質問の投稿者
    7年前

Thanks for the responses.

We haven't considered the compact front loaders, as we have large loads. At home, we can get by with the smaller size. Even so, the appliance store that raved about the Mieles when we bought are now pushing Speed Queen as their top of the line machine, with Electrolux as their best of the rest.

• mamapinky0
    7年前

What... usually they push for the most expensive. ...I would never link SQ and Miele together, not saying SQ isn't a good brand...but its not in the Miele league. ..I have read a TON about Mieles..I've learned little lol...but what I did learn is there's not a US brand that functions the same way...for a salesman to push anytn ing other than his TOL brand is stupid ...I understand it probably won't last any longer than a lot of other brands...but Oh the functions...IMO that salesman needs to go to Carneige Mellon for a training course in sales.

Giskim...which model Miele do you have at home? And don't you think if its big enough at home its big enough on vacation.

• magothyrivergirl
    7年前

I bought the SQ Awne92 TL washer - electronic controls - and matching dryer in May. I had to reverse the door on the dryer so the hinge was on the left side for the set -up to work in my small space, similar to yours. I originally wanted the manual controls, but the 5 year warranty sold me on the electronic controls. The 9 series also has additional cycles that I use and love, such as the soak cycle and hot water wash. I am able to wash king sized sheets easily as well as a small loads of delicate items. I wash alot, but not as much as others here :). I am very happy with the SQ quality and how well SQ washes and dries every single load.

I have installed pocket doors in areas where I had no other choice, when we renovated this house; and I would avoid the added expense and headache, especially if buying a SQ TL solves your problem. So, I agree with your appliance guy - get the TL and be done with it!

• MizLizzie
    7年前

I have a new SQ stack, which works well. But it is by no means a Miele. I wonder if some dealers aren't pushing them because they no longer sell a vented dryer.

• mamapinky0
    7年前

I've had a Speed Queen TL and a FL Duet....both cleaned my clothes, however with the SQ like every TL'er I've ever had that 15/18 minute wash time often was not long enough, I could have turned the dial around for an extended wash but an agitator given enough time can be hard on the clothes. I opted to shut the machine down for a soak ...issue solved. That issue...I had another issue...water temp...a TL gives you hot tap only and that cools down mighty fast so I lugged soup pots of boiling water from the stove to laundry room. ..daily...there was no other way that I could think of to have water hot enough for my needs. This is where a FL' really got me..I craved that hot water, LOL...I thought about it all the time...I'm old enough to remember when hot water heaters in homes were commonly set at 160F and higher so when that old automatic filled with hot water steam creeped thru the crack around the lid...hot and steamy...I've always prefered certain things be washed in screaming hot water, kitchen towels and bed sheets.... Frankly I should have got a FL'er long before I did.

Think about your personal laundry needs than make a decision between a TL or FL...which ever one fits the bill is the one that's right for you.

• Donna R
    7年前

Is it an option to just change the hinges so the door opens out? Then you could do anything you wanted inside the room?

• giskim
    質問の投稿者
    7年前

mamapinky, the salesman is actually a friend of mine. He has no skin in the game, as he knows I would be buying elsewhere; in fact, I offered to purchase from him, but he told me to buy closer to the house. He is a HUGE fan of Miele, but has started recommending Speed Queen because of durability and reliability. I think he said that he got away from Miele laundry because they have given up on the American market because of all the regulations. He also said that he couldn't get people to consider the small volume. That's our problem. We do large loads, as we have lots of sheets we have to do in spurts. At home, we do frequent small loads every day. The other thing going against the Miele is that we need a gas dryer.

magothyrivergirl, I think that we may be heading in that direction. I'm worried about the capacity. Are you able to wash a queen comforter?

• giskim
    質問の投稿者
    7年前

Donna, changing the hinges isn't really an option, because it will go into a narrow hallway.

• mamapinky0
    7年前

SQ TL..the temp of the hot water is whatever your hot water tank is set at.

• magothyrivergirl
    7年前

Correct -- No internal heater -- but the hot is not dumbed down -- it is whatever your hot water heater is set to and whatever heat loss occurs traveling thru the pipes. The rinse is always cold. The cool wash option water starts out warm-ish and switches to cold water. It is great for athletic wear that recommends wash in cold water-gets the stink out.

• mamapinky0
    7年前

Thanks ..I was actually making a statement LOL.

as for cool or cold removing odors..I've never experienced that. Odd.

• giskim
    質問の投稿者
    7年前

Just to follow up. I did further measurements, and decided to go with the Speed Queen stackable. We did measurements, and found that, by moving the vent and installing a dryerbox , the unit could be against the wall and the door would clear. We were psyched, and I went to plan out the work. Unfortunately, the place where I had to move the vent had an electrical outlet AND the PVC drain into the sewer.

Now we decided to go with the Speed Queen TL. Made the choice pretty easy after a lot of research.

• practigal
    7年前

Is the door a solid door? Could you saw it into an added extra hinge and make it a little bifold door in the same space? It might be easier to do that than to adjust all of the laundry hookups.

• giskim
    質問の投稿者
    7年前

It's a solid door. As I posted, we made the easiest decision by going with a toploader. No modifications necessary.

• giskim
    質問の投稿者
    7年前

Just a followup. The Speed Queen TL washer and dryer (AWNE92 and ADGE9) were delivered and installed today. I finalized the order by phone on Saturday at 4PM; turns out, the appliance store burned to the ground about 30-40 minutes later. I found out on Monday, but they said they were still going ahead with business as usual.

Turns out, it was a good thing that we went with the Speed Queens. The installers tracked me down and asked how my old machines were installed; the previous owners must have built around the W/D, because they wouldn't fit out the door. Luckily, the head installer removed a strip of door trim, and the old units just squeezed out. The Speed Queens were actually an inch narrower, so they went in easily.

One other potential problem arose - after hooking everything up, they couldn't find that the dryer was venting properly. The baffles of the vent weren't opening. The dryer (and the old one) seemed to be functioning normally, and the clothes were getting dried normally. There wasn't a build up of lint, so there shouldn't be a blockage. I would assume that the vent tubing might be uncoupled somewhere, but I would assume that there would be a build up of moisture in the area of the leak, but there isn't any sign of it on the drywall. They suggested getting an HVAC guy with a video camera to check the path for the leak. Any other suggestions, or has anyone ever experienced this?

• practigal
    7年前

It is so dry where I live that there would not be any moisture even if the vent was broken in the wall. The camera sounds like a good idea to me.

• magothyrivergirl
    7年前

We had a strange routing of dryer vent discovered when I was painting a wall in another room and it was very hot while the dryer was running - previous owners. The easy and efficient solution for us was to seal off the old vent openings and start new. We left what was in the walls and floors that we could not get to. Now we have a straight run of 12" directly out of the left side of the dryer. There are options of venting placements on the dryer, at least on the electric model.

• PRO
    Valley Oak Home Appliance Center
    7年前

Hello, catching the tail end of this so you might have made a purchase already but.. I have been selling laundry for 2 years now. Here is my take-

Capacity vs clean clothes- There are three ways to go.

1. Front load laundry- You get the capacity do bedding, comforters etc. The drum rotates back and forth getting everything wet constantly. This style of washer and dryer are quiet. Get a washer with the "fanfresh" option etc. What this option does is blows air and tumbles the clothing after the cycle finishes. Great for when you are away or asleep. The key to front load laundry is to use minimal soap and warm water, and keep the fabric softener to a minimum as well.

2. New style top load laundry with wash plate design. All of the complaints lately are from these machines. They do not fill more than half way up at the most. Some machines have a bulky cycle that evidently fill higher. These machines have huge capacity but when filled to that capacity just do not agitate enough to clean really dirty clothes and can leave soap on the clothes.

3. The last option is to buy a Speed Queen washer. Yes the capacity is only 3.3 cu.ft. No you will not get a comforter larger than a thin full inside and wash correctly. The washer comes with a 3 year warranty. The drum is stainless steel and warrantied for life. There is no lid lock. It has a real agitator. The AWN432 only uses a timer. No control board to go out. The 82 and 92 series washers are exactly the same units but with a control board. These two units come with a 5 year warranty. Or you can go to the front load and or stack design like you mentioned. Speed Queen is still USA made by Alliance commercial laundry.

G.E. is now made by a Chinese company. Just don't buy Samsung. That is even worse. Korean..

PR