Houzz Logo Print
kellyslye_villanueva

How to cover a wooden door with window? Window film or curtain?

We just completed a kitchen renovation on our 1983 'fixer upper' (photo below). The dilemma I'm running into is that we have a door in our kitchen that leads into the garage, which has a window. Obviously, I don't want to be in our nice new kitchen and be able to see in our yucky garage so I'm considering either a window film or curtain to cover the glass panes. The curtain options that I'm finding are a little too 'country/frilly' for my taste and I'm concerned the window film will cheapen the space. What are your thoughts? Curtain vs. film? If I go with window film do I use one with a modern pattern or stick with just a frosted film? If I go with curtain, do I have to get one with rods at both top and bottom of window to anchor it, therefore having a ruffled curtain? Opinions greatly appreciated! PS-realized I need a new entryway rug too, YIKES!! :)

コメント (19)

• kiffkat
    7年前

Hi, I would really consider getting a new door. A simple, white, 6 panel interior door does not cost that much. A white door would blend so much better with your kitchen cabinets. If your husband is handy, he can even install it himself.

It just seems wrong to hang curtains on a door which looks into your garage. It would make me want to open the curtains, expecting to see the outside, and instead...a garage interior.

You've already spent the big bucks on the kitchen reno, with just a bit more investment, you can pull it all together with a new door.

If you do get a new door, paint the trim of your kitchen window white so that it matches the door.

Kelly Villanuevaさんはkiffkatさんにお礼を言いました
  • KD
    7年前
    Well applied film these days doesn't look that bad, imo. I'd go simple like just a sanded finish, though. Shouldn't be too expensive so I'd try that and see how you feel about it, which gives you time to save up to change the door if you decide you need to. :)
    Kelly VillanuevaさんはKDさんにお礼を言いました
  • suzyq53
    7年前

I think you could frost the glass on the garage side with a very light coat of chalk paint to make it semi-opaque. Just make sure to tape off the wood trim really well so that it doesn't get on the wood. You could also put a blind (roller or mini). Whatever you do curtain, blind, film or paint, I would do it on the garage side.

• Barbara Almandarz
    7年前

Don't ruin your door with window film. Best advice is to replace the door.

• bichonbabe
    7年前

Where I live that door would not meet fire code.

• Judy Mishkin
    7年前
    最終更新:7年前

same here. you need a metal door between living space and a garage. and while you may get away without having one, you *ought to have* a metal door as well.

• Sharon
    7年前
    Try frosted window film. Less than $20 at Home Depot. Apply on the garage side. If you don't like it, no big waste of money. If you like the effect but the film looks cheap, frost the glass permanently. I did this for some upper cabinets in my kitchen, worked great.
  • ateabug
    7年前
    I'm not into frilly either but I think a curtain is better. If there a noise in the garage or if someone is working in it I'd rather communicate through the glass and a curtain than have to open it because I frosted the glass.

You need a weighty curtain so that it hangs right. This can be accomplished with top and bottom rods, what I did which is an installed top rod and a loose bottom rod, just serving as a weight, or sew some drapery weights at the bottom of your favorite fabric or curtain. I'd put this in the room last and there is no reason you have to go to great-grandmas to get the fabric. You have a hide rug, so go with your main style. It's just a square over a door and you can make a no-sew curtain with hem tape, buy a full size drape (grommeted, simple seam) and cut it down to avoid the frilly look.
  • PRO
    Design Studio West
    7年前

Caution: In CA the door between the house and garage needs to meet a fire code. Be sure to check in your area.

• acm
    7年前

Honestly, you can get a decent door for $100 -- isn't that a better use of your energies? plus it will probably insulate the house better and all the rest. You might have another place for this one, or recoup some of your costs by selling it on Craigs List to somebody who needs an interior door.

• Kelly Villanueva
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    Thank you for your suggestions! In terms of fire code, I'm in NC. The house was built in 1983 so I would think codes have been updated since the 80s. Our windows are original as well (if you couldn't tell by the pics, haha!) and they too are not up to today's codes. Regardless, should we go with replacing the door all together we will ensure all is to current code.
  • Sharon
    7年前
    Fire rated, self closing solid door plus install will be more than $100. At least it was when I replaced mine a few years ago (CA prices).
  • oliverandcompany
    7年前

How about a Roman Shade? Would look a bit more modern?

• Jennifer Havin
    7年前

i'm on board with the weighted white door, it needs to match your beautiful new kitchen

• PRO
    Curtain Pros
    7年前

Congrats on the beautiful new kitchen! Although a new door would look great, I don't think you need to go that far. And you absolutely don't need to "Granny-up" your new space with a kitchen curtain. There are a LOT of other options to consider - roller shades, cellular shades, Fabric Roman Shades, etc. Attached are a couple of pics from a recent job I did for a client who also just remodeled her kitchen.

Kelly VillanuevaさんはCurtain Prosさんにお礼を言いました
  • Maureen
    7年前

You could paint the door white and add roman blinds and duplicate on kitchen window. As soon as you can though, I would be changing the door for your family's safety. Garages along with kitchens, are the places most likely to initiate a fire and the proper door will keep the fire from spreading into either location as well as preventing fumes. I was home alone with our new born infant and I could smell fumes - nothing more scary until the gas company arrived. Better to be safe than sorry.

Kelly VillanuevaさんはMaureenさんにお礼を言いました
  • Snaggy
    7年前

I would get a solid door ..better against burglars !

• alex3541
    3年前

I would recommend using window films. I also recently bought window film called Veilish. It's made with fabric material. It's semi-transparent, so it can provide indoor privacy. The best thing is that it is self-adhesive, so it is cheap and reasonable. You can cut it to fit the size of the window and apply it like a sticker without installer!