Houzz Logo Print
heinzorganic

Thickness of oak hardwood floors in kitchen - 3/4" or 5/16"

I am doing a kitchen remodel project + plan to install hardwood floors in my kitchen. My house is an 1891 Victorian in San Francisco. The floors in the remainder of the house are 5/16" thick x 2" wide oak (original) with ebony stain (dark stain). The contractor is suggesting 3/4" Oak in the kitchen with the same ebony stain as the rest of the house. Regardless of the thickness of the wood, he will apply 3 coats of Pallmann pal x 98 waterborne finish which is intended for heavy duty commercial application.

The question - should I install 5/16" oak wood in the kitchen to keep the flow between the living room + kitchen constant? Using 3/4" in the kitchen will require an additional transition piece between the kitchen + living room as there will be approximately 1/2" difference in thickness. Another consideration...I'm opening up the space between the kitchen + living room to make the area flow better + feel more open. My only concern - will the 5/16" oak wood in the kitchen warp over time due to water damage? Will I end up in a situation where I need to replace the floors within 5-10 years? Or, will the heavy duty waterborne finish take care of these concerns? Basically, I'm trying to decide if I should forgo function (3/4" = more durability) for design / better flow (5/16" to match rest of house).

コメント (3)

• PRO
    Berlin Flooring Inc
    7年前

The 3/4" is standard now. I would use that because it will be easier to find in the future if you need to make repairs. I'm in Colorado and we never see the 5/16" out here, but I know it was used a lot in older homes in your area and the Pacific Northwest and British Columbia.

• PRO
    Floor Huggers
    7年前

Take a look at the nailing pattern. Using 3/4 will most likely will have a blind nail. Most of the 5/16 th that we see is face nailed thus the nailing is visible and would match the vintage look of the house. Water damage in kitchen is not impacted by thickness of board. A proper finish and maintenance should be fine. Likewise, if you have a major leak, both thickness will have issues. On the plus for 5/16, it is both cheaper to install labor wise as you drop it in from the top. No splicing. and less expensive to replace on material cost. I say go with 5/16 th. I dislike uneven transitions.

Hope this helps and please reach out to us for more consulting.

yours in floors

Zach Liske

• PRO
    duni dake
    5年前

@heinzorganic Did you end up using Pallmann 98? Do you love it?