Houzz Logo Print
houzzukpolls

Have you inherited furniture?

Hand-me-down furniture is perceived in different ways.

For some, it has sentimental value and that's why it's always kept in good shape and given a special place at home. Others just doesn't see it as fitting their style and prefer to sell or... re-gift the 'heirlooms'.

Have you inherited furniture from your family? If so, what did you do with it? Did you keep it as is, fix it up or toss it?

My Houzz: A Garage transformed into a boy's dream pad · 詳細

Vote and share your experience in the comments – photos of your best/worst inherited furniture is encouraged!

Yes and I keep them in my home in the original style
Yes and I keep them in my home, but I adapted them
Yes, but I have sold them/given them away
Yes, but they're in storage
No, I've never inherited furniture

コメント (7)

• wilmet45
    7年前
    I haven't inherited furniture, but my daughter has. I moved into a modern apartment from a four bedroom house, and she moved with her partner at the same time to a four bedroom Edwardian house. My dark oak, mostly Ercol and Jaycee, furniture went with her, and it looks great in her new home- better, in fact, than in my previous 30's semi.
  • User
    7年前
    I can't imagine becoming attached to someone else's furniture so unless it 'went' with my decor, it would have to go. It's usually the domain of jewellery, trinkets or small personal items that carry nostalgia or sentiment.
  • PRO
    Caroline Banks Art
    7年前
    最終更新:7年前

The top photo is the original inherited bergère which was very tired so I sourced a mohair velvet (photo 2) which is as close as I could find to the colour I remembered from my grandparents' study. I now have the history and memories of 3 generations in this pair of armchairs.

• Stephen Edwards
    7年前
    最終更新:7年前

There wasn't an option for yes, but it's still where it's always been. It remains in the family home (I don't live there) and will stay there until such time as that is sold, then I'll have to decide what to do with it if I'm still around.

• PRO
    Design Storey
    7年前
    I inherited my great grandmother's Lloyd loom seats and I love them. My mother gave me them when I had my first student flat 20 years ago when I was at architecture school and I have loved them ever since. My mother had sprayed them gold! But I updated them in farrow and ball's off black. I love the lines and the scale of these chairs and they fit perfectly in our cottage!
  • Jan Johnson
    7年前

Queen Ann China cabinet