Houzz Logo Print
daisy2931

How do I modernise my bathroom?

daisy2931
7年前
最終更新:7年前

Hi all..
I am newbie here and love to have some advices to modernised my bathroom with less money.
Pls see the picture, i have been thinking to rotate 90 der anticlockwise (to left) and put small free standing next to it.
For vanity, i have been thinking to put small "hanging" vanity and mirror on top. What do u think guys.
Pls give me some advices, i will really appreciate it.
Ta
Cheers

コメント (22)

• User
    7年前

Great tiles! Not sure what you are wanting to rotate left but possibly getting rid of the toilet role cupboard would be a first start. Possibly move the towel rail from next to the toilet to somewhere else - maybe on the back of the door if you're really stuck for space. Replace the vanity with a wall-hung option, keeping in mind this will most likely reveal the drain pipe at the bottom. You may need to put a recessed kickboard under the wall hung vanity to cover it up (could adapt an IKEA draw front for that, depending on the width of the vanity). Consider replacing the glass in the window to frosted, or see if you can put a frosted privacy sticker over the top. Speak to a carpenter about framing in the current window properly, then cover the old 2/3 of the window that is housing the old shelves with either a large flat mirror or a large mirrored wall vanity. Paint the window frame a different colour perhaps to draw the eye away from the toilet? Maybe a nice dark grey? Stow all of the cleaning products, mop etc somewhere else. Add some bright beautiful towels and consider whether you can add an awesome light to give the room a bit of a pop and brighten it...

• daisy2931
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    So hope to have similar like this
  • daisy2931
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    And this
  • daisy2931
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    @mazcatt:

Thanks for the comments. I just read it after put the pictures, the idea why i want to move the toilet so i can have similar like this.

Yes i knew this toilet must not have mop there :). Has no place to hide it. I was about to clean them and just took pictures to ask some ideas.

I love the tiles, but this old frame annoying me.

If i hire bath room renovator, can you give me roughly how much it will cost? This is not really big job rite?
  • daisy2931
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    @mazzcat: again thx for the comments. I am thinking to keep the tiles and only move the toilet, put the free standing bathtub. For vanity wanna have small and simple one and cover the window with mirror. If no many thing to do may spend less money.

That all what i think..

OR get rid off all may cost less? (I dont think so ☺️).

I only wanna have simple bath room for easy cleaning.

I will try to have some quotes then.

Thank you!
    Cheers
  • User
    7年前

is the bathroom bigger than it looks? It looks like you would struggle to fit a bath in there - and will you still have a shower? (and yes, a few tweaks are generally cheaper than ripping out the whole thing, but once you start to move plumbing around it gets more complicated - will they need to punch some holes in the wall for example for new wall pipes? they're answer some plumbers and tilers or bathroom reno folks could answer I guess.

• daisy2931
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    The bathroom size its 180cm x 210cm.

I found there is a small freestanding one that 120cm. If i move the toilet hope get more space (+/- 60 cm for space and toilet). Make sense??
  • macyjean
    7年前

I am not sure if a free standing bath is easy to clean if you do not have enough space to walk around it. Putting aside the trend nowadays for free standing baths, what do you in fact use more, a bath or a shower?

Are you on floorboards or concrete slab?

What do you have in mind when you say "cover the window with mirror"?

Do you want to have the cistern in the wall as in the pictures you have posted, and do you have space for that and access for future maintenance?

I have read that hanging vanities make the space look bigger but it looks like you have a storage issue so you need to make sure that a hanging vanity would still be large enough for everything you need to store.

Also as mazcatt said you need to think about the drain pipe underneath the vanity.

• daisy2931
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    macymacmaples

The idea come because the bathroom small and i dont wanna have big reno for it (dont want big plumber work). I was thinking
    1. Freestanding is easy to install (not because trend one) and small to fit in. If i put normal bathroom i heard big plumber job to fit it. Am i rite ?
    2. What i meant to cover the 2/3 window area now for storage (old style) . I want to cover this
    with mirror for better look instead of open like that.
    3. We usually use shower but i have children and they love using bathtub :).

So with this condition what will u suggest me?
  • daisy2931
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    And also its floorboard one
  • macyjean
    7年前

Children splashing in the bathtub, how do you feel about drying around it?

I thought of something else, how old is the property?

• daisy2931
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    Yes thats the matter ☺️. Its pretty old house, we bought it last year and my lawyer couldnt see when was build. I belived its over 20 yo
  • girlguides
    7年前
    You need storage so downsizing your vanity doesn't seem right solution for you. Any bath has to be plumbed in. Unless you want to spend in region of $10,000, I'd just look at nice big mirror shave cabinet and perhaps shutter on window. Good luck
  • macyjean
    7年前

Are the tiles and fittings the originals or a previous renovation? I am not sure but the window looks older than the rest? Can you guess at the approximate age, say how old is the suburb? If you are keeping the tiles do you have enough spares to repair around where fittings are moved?

• daisy2931
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    @macymacmaples
    Its really old one (may be 40yo) and they did reno the tiles but may not change the fittings. I can see some left over tiles kept under house. I olden house always has bathtub and the last owner may took out the bathtub and put the shower for space.

Lets make it easy, i dont want many plumber work. What will u suggest me? I do really appreciate ur comment. If possible pls put bathtub for kids purpose, if not then i will keep the shower :).
  • daisy2931
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    @girlguides

Yes and also the pipe matter. I has no think about it. If i put big mirror and just cover the window will it be ok?should i change the window??
  • girlguides
    7年前
    Speak to someone like Reece plumbing or get a plumber out to advise cheapest option - perhaps small bath base to shower?
  • macyjean
    7年前
    最終更新:7年前

If the house is that old you need to check for asbestos before you decide to do any work. For example asbestos sheeting was used in bathrooms and asbestos putty was used in windows. There are government websites with information about where the problems might be in your age of building and your state and how to arrange for testing.

• daisy2931
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    yes i am afraid of asbestos so i dont want to many things done. Finally, Thanks everyone for the comments, i will try to get some quotes for renovation to some plumbers or bathroom renovators.
  • PRO
    AQVA - Luxury Baths & Spas
    7年前

Hi Daisy

We deal with clients undergoing bathroom renovations every day and one thing I can see with your existing bathroom is that it's crying out for some more natural light!

As others have mentioned, you've got some nice modern tiling going on so make the most of them by showering them with light and the room with lift and feel so much lighter and airier.

Good luck with your project!

Regards,

Brad
    AQVA Luxury Baths & Spas

• LesleyH
    7年前
    Dont forget to check out ideas for small bathroons on Houzz and Pinterest and save to your ideabooks on each site. Do you know how to do this?