Houzz Logo Print
jennstoltz

New Principal Office

Jenn
7年前
I have a brand new Principal office to decorate for a friend!! We are needing all ideas for putting this space back together. We are open to any ideas for purchase and arrangement. What do you think designing friends??

コメント (34)

• Jenn
    質問の投稿者
    7年前

Would love to hear suggestions on window treatments and room arrangements. Color is set as well as carpet.

• groveraxle
    7年前

Gawd, all principals' offices look the same. No window treatments except as needed to control light. What do you mean by "color is set?" That you're not going to paint? Because that would be the most cost effective lift you could give this room.

• Jenn
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    The paint was recently chosen by the Principal. The window treatments can be changed so we are trying to make some decisions there...any suggestions??
  • Gerry
    7年前
    As a former admin asst to principals and superintendents, I would say to ditch the couch. The credenza could go behind her desk for easy access to files. A nice piece of artwork over the credenza as well as some low maintenance live plants. Diplomas and awards should be hung on another wall in the desk area. She should have an oval conference table, or at least a round table that seats six to eight. She should also have room for at least one bookcase. If she wants to keep one or two of the arm chairs, if there's room, she can face them toward the desk. Half of the administrators I worked for over the years were women and they all had lovely professional spaces.
  • Jenn
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    Thank you for your comments!! What would you do with windows??
  • groveraxle
    7年前

I would paint everything the same neutral color and paint one wall with chalkboard paint.

• Jenn
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    Groveraxle - you have crazy good skills!! Not sure about the chalkboard paint - that could be a bit of a mess with dust, etc and she loves her blue color... Any other thoughts?
  • calidesign
    7年前

Just remove those valances and use the blinds as they are. I would think a few more chairs would be more practical and flexible than the sofa. Maybe two in front of the desk and 4 around the table. It looks like you also need some storage.

• PRO
    Inline Design
    7年前

The desk looks so ominous pushed way into the back like that - would you consider swapping the sitting area with the workspace?

• Jenn
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    The desk will need to stay in the back area...
    It will be an L shaped desk (once it is put back together). We are going to put the credenza behind the desk centered on the wall.
  • Jenn
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    Decoenthusiast - that makes so much sense!! I will see what we can find... Totally agree!!!
  • jck910
    7年前

Principal of what? School? Elementary? Middle? High? Public? Private? Cannot imagine making it too personal. Am in education and was just in a guidance counselor's office that was "decorated" in all that black, white & pink stuff available at office supplies stores, gave me the creeps.

• Jenn
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    This is an elementary school - and we want to make this feel welcoming and warm... But not stuck in the past with the design choices... Loving all the advice so far!!
  • groveraxle
    7年前

I suspect she will quickly tire of that color palette.

I would leave the windows uncovered. There is nothing that can make institutional windows look good; it's lipstick on a pig, if you will. I'd use the window wall for the rotating student art gallery.

• groveraxle
    7年前

OK, whiteboard wall, then.

• User
    7年前

Only thing is when she has to work back late in the dark, blinds would stop creeps looking in.

• User
    7年前

You've got the blinds for sun control and keeping out the creepy peepers. :) A single, simple piece of lace to soften each window. Inexpensive and non-fussy. You could do a valance if you want to bring in accenting color. I think a valance should be more sophisticated, rather than countryish.

Glamorous living room · 詳細

• Irene Morresey
    7年前
    Some ideas, bright and inviting.
  • Irene Morresey
    7年前
    I'd want to cover that ugly window
  • kathleen MK
    7年前
    not sure if there room but the sofa could be faced away from the opening to the desk area to divide the spaces for group meeting in front room and desk work in back. credenza or files behind or beside desk for working ease. My principal has hers in an L shape and has some lamps for softer lighting. Diplomas and certificates are manditory wall decor. Talk to Art teacher for some student work to display. There are some quick change frames or just do a nice bulletin board to rotate kid pictures. It is a big honor when the principal displays a kid's art. I love it when I can send that problem kid to the office with some awesome artwork. Iam not sure how to camouflage that weird window. Cafe curtains covering the wall under the short window and the bottom of the longer one?
  • er612
    7年前

I would add privacy film to the windows and leave them uncovered.

• groveraxle
    7年前

Big plant, floor lamp, ethereal piece of art:

• Jenn
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    I'm hearing some fantastic ideas!! I'm sharing all of these ideas with my friend and we are ready to get started!! We will send more photos as we go ! Groveraxle - you are top notch and we love you!!!
  • PRO
    Shoa Gallery
    7年前

Check out my artwork for ideas. For some reason, I get a lot of school administrators buying from me (many of them to match school colors). All listed here: https://www.etsy.com/shop/shoagallery   Many colors and sizes available.

Some suggestions below. Enjoy decorating!

This flag is from a photo we took on the 10th anniversary of 9/11 at Pepperdine.

• partim
    7年前

The canary bird picture would be great in here.

• groveraxle
    7年前

Ooh, love the wall mural idea.

• Jenn
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    Updated photo...still a work in progress
  • Jenn
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    Another view
  • Jenn
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    A new table is being purchased - oval or rectangular ?? Any thoughts??
  • groveraxle
    7年前

Oval is friendlier.

It's looking really good. The plants and the lamps make it very inviting.

I'll bet some kids could do a great piece of art--large art--for that back wall.

• groveraxle
    7年前

I would tweak the bookcase wall. I'd lose the torchiere, move the lamp away from the edge of the bookcase, put the bookcases together to look more cohesive.

• User
    7年前

Oval.