Houzz Logo Print
laurie7654

Microwave cabinet mistake

Laurie
8年前
Please excuse the mess, new construction, but what would you do with this microwave cabinet in the lower? the builder changed the spec drawing without telling me & I think its too large. Plus it makes the cabinet to the lower right unusable because the door is too tiny to reach in get anything. Suggestions? I'm waiting to hear back from them

コメント (14)

• User
    8年前

Surely that little dorm sized microwave isn't the one you'll be using permanently? Aren't you doing a built in? Those require a trim kit and either a 27" or 30" cabinet.

• L W
    8年前

Oh, how frustrating. The cabinet looks like a 36 or less with fillers on each side. Hope, you work it out. MW size and placement can be a pain. Mine had to go in the pantry cuz dimensions were not working. They also are know to die!

• acm
    8年前

I agree that you might want a larger microwave, but it's strictly unacceptable that they changed this setup to something very much inferior without approval! A blind cabinet like that should be disallowed in 2016! There are so many better options for making it useful.

They need to replace the cabinets and pay to have that part of the counter replaced if it gets damaged in the process. I hope you still have a balance that's owed them to use as incentive.

I'm so sorry this happened; hope you can find a good solution.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    8年前

Your microwave is not made to be builtin i don't think make the builder fix this or at least put in some kind of pullout to access the stuf in the corner cabinet, IMO this should have been a lazy susan or something that makes that corner accessible as for the microwave cabinet it is ridulous to have it anywhere close to that size.

• Laurie
    質問の投稿者
    8年前
    I don't really want a bigger microwave. That cabinet space is about 90cm & should have been 40cm. We don't use it much & would probably look for a trim kit and maybe slightly bigger nothing the size of that cabinet
  • acm
    8年前

Yeah, they need to put it back the way it was designed.

This. Is. Not. A. Minor. Tweak!!

• PRO
    Wendt Design Group
    8年前
    If u have the money an under counter microwave might be the best solution to using that existing space. Sharp has been the leading brand for this . The one way to use a corner space is for the door to swing from the other side .the kitchen looks great though
  • PRO
    Shews Design
    8年前

Unfortunately this is not a small issue as I see your countertop is already set. Your builder is absolutely responsible for this because "size of microwave" is a basic question and this is not the cabinet on your layout. Are these custom cabinets or factory? A lazy susan should work in the corner if you have the smaller cabinet for your microwave!

• ascorsonelli
    8年前

Can you add a vertical shelving piece to the right of the microwave? Then turn the empty nook into wine storage?

• erinsean
    8年前

For now, center your microwave in that space and put something ..... even something decorative on either side. As for the small door/space on the side....use it for small appliances that you do not use often or use it for sacks, plastic bags and that sort of thing. Yes, it was made wrong....but until then.....just make the best of it. Hope the contractor will fix it for you.

• Laurie
    質問の投稿者
    8年前
    Apparently according to the builder they ordered the cabinets from Italy for the whole subdivision. So I'm sure they're going to try to wiggle out of this. Waiting patiently for one of the managers to show up
  • nicolenovember288
    8年前

Have them add doors over that space, unless they're paying for the full fix.

• PRO
    Wendt Design Group
    8年前

Or perhaps they can have a drawer or drawers made for this space?