Houzz Logo Print
wellynmoore

wall sconces for interior walls

How do I determine the proper size for wall sconces. My den ceiling goes up to 22 feet. I also need sconces for the interior stairways, with regular heights.

コメント (2)

• PRO
    Lights Online
    8年前

Great question! We have a sconces section in our light sizing guide that even specifically covers using them on a stairway. It can be a lot of info to take in, so please let me know if you have any questions!

• PRO
    Debra Toney, AIA Assoc.
    8年前

I like the advice that Lights Online gave you but here's my short answer anyway!

If the ceilings are 8 feet, 74 inches above the finished floor to the center of the wall sconce is a good rule of thumb. Another guideline is to measure down 6 inches from the top of the window, and then use that as your mounting height for all the wall sconces in the room. For up-light sconces, keep in mind that you want at least 12 inches but not more than 36 inches between the sconce and the ceiling.

If you have a really high wall, consider mounting an up-light sconce high on the wall centered under a piece of artwork. It will wash the art with light and throw light up onto the ceiling at the same time, creating a unique focal point for the space.

Hope this helps!

The Three Week Kitchens team.