Houzz Logo Print
tamara_supica

Need help with my bathroom

We just bought a new house and would like to update out master bathroom. Any ideas on color of the cabinets, paint, tiles or lighting?

コメント (67)

• karinbee
    8年前

I agree with Darzy's photo of the gray and white. I would definitely paint the cabinets white and use a soft pale gray to paint the walls...towels and rugs in a bit darker soft gray. I also agree with the idea of a free-standing tub since it would enhance the lovely window alcove!

Tamara Supicaさんはkarinbeeさんにお礼を言いました
  • hollywaterfall
    8年前

A lot of the same coloring. You just need to break that up a bit. The tub and tile would be fairly expensive to replace so I would leave them. Accent pieces or lighting, paint, rugs, etc. would be the better way to go imo.

Tamara Supicaさんはhollywaterfallさんにお礼を言いました
  • sgoldcamp
    8年前

Tiles and cabinets/doors look fine. The trim paint is terrible, the walls are boring, and the blinds have got to go!

I would paint all trim white, and pick a different wall color. Maybe a light aqua-gray. Aqua and chocolate brown always go well in the bath, so you could go with that scheme. Here is a similar picture. Also, a nice fabric can have custom drapes/valance for the window.

North Berkeley Hills Bathroom Remodel · 詳細

• PRO
    Dura Supreme Cabinetry
    8年前

Here are a few ideas for some inspiration... You could do floating vanity and linen cabinets. This would make the room feel even larger. By adding a floating linen cabinet you wouldn't loose storage space. I would do like the image below, but just a linen cabinet on the left near your wall where the towel ring. Mandi @ Dura

Simply Stunning Marley Master Bath with Floating Vanity and Cabinets · 詳細

• Dale Hoover
    8年前
    最終更新:8年前

The very large mirror, lights & cabinet seem 'builder grade' & personalizing them would 'up-scale' the room (remove the mirror & replace with smaller but decorative one/ones; place wall sconces at face-height; & paint cabinet). Paint doors same color as wall choice for an integrated look & will also make room appear larger. I love 'top-down/bottom-up' curtains (with them placed at the bottom for privacy as well as blocking that window 'view') for a softening effect. Agreeing with others on painting the trim white. A lot of ppl tear out the tub (esp. if there's one in another bthrm), [that's a whole lotta tile in there, as well as space being used up!] & depending on your budget perhaps replacing tub with an electric fireplace, or special piece of furniture for storage purposes. Best wishes for whatever you endeavor!

• PRO
    Dura Supreme Cabinetry
    8年前

Here is also a recent blog with a color palette idea using a stain and wood close to your interior doors.

http://www.durasupreme.com/blog/color-palette-inspired-nature

• ישראל יצחקי
    8年前

יפה

• marly51
    8年前

I agree, paint is cheap! Decide if you are going to have a focal point in your bathroom, like a picture or pots with plants and then take a simple color from those. The bathroom is a desireable size. I think it would look great with a dark greyish green trim with light colored walls. The wooden doors would then stand out and so would the cabinets. Perhaps getting new faucets and handles would help out also.

• Sherri C
    8年前
    walls: dove grey with trim in white
    cabinets painted a dark grey with dark glaze. doors same as cabinets
    replaced mirror with 2 single framed mirrors over each sink
    window treatments: accordian plantation shutters in white with a valence hanging right below ceiling line to just below top of window opening
    pendent lighting added over the vanity
    large very fluffy white rugs in front of vanity and tub to break up all the tile work
    Tamara SupicaさんはSherri Cさんにお礼を言いました
  • mountainmama6
    8年前

I agree with the rest of the crew here. Would definitely paint the trim white, and maybe go with ivory walls (Shoji White by Sherwin Williams is an awesome warm neutral). Or, paint the cabinetry too and go with the light gray walls and accents. Two wonderful options!

• Deb Trethewey
    8年前

I agree with everyone on repainting the millwork white. I would paint the walls a grey-white or a dove grey. Replace light fixture and frame the mirror (check MirrorMate online.) I would also consider white plantation shutters on the window to coordinate with your white woodwork.

Tamara SupicaさんはDeb Tretheweyさんにお礼を言いました
  • lauralouzader
    8年前

It's a beautiful bathroom just as it is. I like one poster's suggestion to paint the walls peach. The large, comfortable bath tub with its wide marble-tiled casement is wonderful and is, IMO, much better than the free standing tubs that are now in style- I would never replace it. It is more comfortable, and much safer to get in and out of.

Tamara Supicaさんはlauralouzaderさんにお礼を言いました
  • jantrader
    8年前

Yes! Ditch the peach paint. Wood warms the room so I would keep it, might look too cold otherwise. White trim, gray with a lean towards blue for the walls and the ceiling should be half tone of the walls. Artwork and a small bench with occasional table would soften the look of an otherwise (somewhat) stark room.

• Tamara Supica
    質問の投稿者
    8年前

Should I paint the doors white too or leave it as is? We will be painting all the trim white so I am not sure if we should just paint the doors too. THANK YOU ALL!

• marly51
    8年前

Personally, I wouldn't touch the doors or wood frames unless to clean them up a bit.

• chiflipper
    8年前

If you are going to do the painting, leave the doors until you finish - then decide. If you're hiring a paint pro better to have him paint the doors at the same time.

Tamara Supicaさんはchiflipperさんにお礼を言いました
  • angienmaddie
    8年前

Personally, I would have the cabinets refaced and do a light grey, and the trim in a darker shade of grey. I would do the walls in white. I would also remove the blinds from the window and put a Hunter Douglas shade in white. White has a way of making things look larger... I would put the sconces on either side of the vanity and also have two mirrors instead of one. The lighting above the mirror causes shadows. I love the tile and flooring and changing the cabinets and paint will do wonders. I would also add silver hardware to the doors and cabinets. This will give a polished look. Faucets should also be silver. I would do a brushed nickel. Just my thoughts.

• PRO
    Tyrrell and Laing International, Inc.
    8年前

A freestanding bathtub would look beautiful as a centerpiece in your bathroom! It will give your bathroom a classic, timeless look. Please reach out to us for a special Houzz discount!

Please see below a recent customer of ours: His transformation was incredible!

Bathroom Transformation: BEFORE · 詳細

Bathroom Transformation: AFTER · 詳細

Tamara SupicaさんはTyrrell and Laing International, Inc.さんにお礼を言いました
  • bobbihenn01
    8年前

I am a professional stager and decorator. Before I ever do a house, I always ask questions. Who uses it? How often? What are the rooms that are connected to it like? I see lots of folks recommending a stand alone bathtub, but if you don't take a lot of baths, why spend the money? Maybe you'd like a steam shower or sauna instead. Do you use the room to put on your makeup? Do you share it? What's your favorite color?

Budget is always a concern too. The most cost efficient change is paint. The most bang for the buck is lighting and ALWAYS use a dimmer.

• jbtanyderi
    8年前
    Door and window framing is excessive. Paint it white or use the enamel version of the wall colour.
  • pankitty
    8年前
    It's tough to give you a complete answer without seeing your shower. Is that an area you want updated as well?

What don't you like about your current bathroom?

Do you want two independent sink areas?
    Bigger? Smaller? Deeper bath tub?
    Different color fixtures?

For bathrooms, personally I like tile floors with warm tiles, large double showers with two shower heads and a handheld, rain glass, ceiling exhaust fan inside the shower, large bathroom counter, overhead and front angled lighting, very deep tub, hot water heater close to the bathroom, large linen storage, open shelves for towels and an electric towel warmer (Runtal is my favorite). Add a towel bar beneath the towel warmer for the bath mat.

For the shower I use the same tile on the shower floor as the rest of the bathroom and up two walls inside the shower. A complimentary tile on the other two walls with some glass tile insets. Personally, I don't like seats in the shower.

Bath tub should have a spigot and a handheld as well. Also keep in mind that if you add a soaking tub you might have to update the plumbing from the hot water heater to the tub to 3/4" which is current code in many states.

Floor trim is very nice using the same tile as on the floor. It is functional and looks much better than wood trim. I also like white trim elsewhere but do not like painted cabinets..slime shade of stained wood. If a painted cabinet gets chipped you can never hide the chip no matter how good the painter is.

For cabinets I also like flat doors in the bathroom; no dust buildup in the corners. I also like to have the space under the sink left open so the trash can can be easily accessed without having to open a cupboard door.

An appliance garage at one end of the counter with a plug on a timer inside can house curling iron, hot rollers or hair dryer out of site but very convenient. With that plug on a timer you never leave the house and wonder...did I unplug the curling iron? It shuts off when the timer shuts off.

Oh, and put your towel warmer on a 2 hour timer. Or buy a programmable control (which Runtal also has).

Many tile/granite/quartz suppliers now have what they refer to as "builders stock" where you can buy granite or quartz by the square foot instead of the slab. It is very economical that way and you can get lovely choices for your countertops.

Remember medicine cabinets.

Good luck - have fun ! Hope some of these ideas help.
  • Lynn G
    8年前

Seems like a very "contemporary" style to the bath. But with high ceilings. What is the date of the home? If it's old, bring it back to the time period so it compliments the house style. If it's more recent "contemporary" home, well, not sure it's worth investing that much more into changing it into something else. You bought contemporary as it appeals to you.

If that's the case, I would just paint the wood cabinets white, the trim a glossy white, and add a color to the walls to add some interest - make it a zingy color as it's not a space you use for hours on end: bright orange, lime green, lemon yellow, turquoise - something that can bring in interest at very little cost. Then if that still doesn't hit the mark for you, continue to explore design changes.

We spend SO MUCH MONEY on all these renovations that are just trends - is it worth having a $20,000 bathroom?

• acm
    8年前

Trim white, and the rest of the paint a cooler shade like taupe or gray (take it from the floor tile). I think you'll be amazed at the transformation that makes without doing anything else.

• hotzim
    8年前

For a cheap improvement I would flip the light fixtures around so that they point down instead of up. I would assume it would help you see better and that you have no pressing need to light the ceiling.

• cyborg56jps
    8年前

Wow...someone wasn't color coordinated! Paint the ceiling and trim semi gloss white ...many shades so use spot-ons and buy sample paints. Crown moulding should be ultra white different from ceiling. Use bold color like warm oranges or sea blues on walls to compliment sky and switch to vinyl vertical blinds...they come in various styles/colors, then you can block view from outside and still enjoy light. The tile and cabinets won't matter then as they are neutral colors. The white jet tub and sinks leave alone...you have to put your personality into this comfort room. Congrats...on the house. Buying paint samples (about $3) and adhesive spot-ons (about $3) will tell you immediately what will work. Don't get sucked into what others like...your eyes will say yeah or nay. Fixtures wait...

• cyborg56jps
    8年前

Oh...hire a good painter...this is not a do it yourself job. Lol

• Maxine Kulhanek
    8年前
    最終更新:8年前

I just had dark old oak cabinets in a bathroom and had them painted. I would paint them a light off white and the walls a dark grey. Paint the trim the same as the cabinets You could just paint the wall behind the vanity making it an accent wall. Sending photos of my bathrooms I just changed out. Just using paint sometimes can liven up a dull bathroom. The one bath had all peaches and cream walls and I painted behind the mirror a sage green and behind the toilet a deep burnt orange. Adding colorful flower arrangements gave it more tie in to the colors. Having a big window out the one bathroom I was able to utilize the natural rock flower pot to add more of the same color flowers as inside.

Tamara SupicaさんはMaxine Kulhanekさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    CSCS
    8年前

The wood looks like it was custom made and finished. If so the wood is warm. The mauve color lacks the depth your looking for.

Design is a practice of rules, what are you trying to do, is is the first rule of function?

I suggest you start with paint, perhaps pick up a darker color out of the tile floor that is not at all in the pink that the stone hints of. Wall paper cost more in prep and installer but the right paper might do the trick as well. Look for bolder patterns that have dark colors in the paper.

I like the metallic paints Ralph Loren has a line you can get at Lowe's. Darker deeper colors might give you the feel of being in a posh environment with out the full expense; paint is cheap and if I am wrong you have little invested so a start over will not kill you.

If I am right you can be dome in a day instead of what you could be facing?

Richard Carey

• nathalee brown
    8年前
    nice I love it just give it a darker colour
  • Amy Lewin
    8年前

I really like your tiles! Personally, I'd paint the cabinets and doors in a nice black, and then match a grey from your tiles to paint the walls, finishing off with a crisp white trim. I'd also swap the wooden blinds out for something easier to clean!

• lauralouzader
    8年前

The only thing I might want to change in this otherwise fabulous bath, is the double vanity, which seems low-quality compared to the rest of the bath. I'd replace it with a double-bowl console sink with a marble counter that matches the marble in the rest of the bath. But I would never ever replace the beautiful, huge tub with its marble-paved decking. It is much more comfortable, and much SAFER to get in and out of, than the narrow-sided free-standing tubs being promoted by designers now. I don't quite understand the fashion for these tubs, which are very awkward to enter and exit, with no comfortable place to sit or set things on, and which are awkward to clean around. Before you buy one, try getting in and out of the one in the showroom, and you will see what I mean. Very difficult for someone older, or who isn't tall and long-legged.

• elizabethg1
    8年前

I bought a house with a similar bathroom. Flooring was a continuation of the bath tile and then carpet. My first step was to pull out the flooring and replace with less busy tile. I pulled off the doors completely that lead to the closet and left just the door to the water (toilet) closet. Builder already had Swiss Coffee on walls and trim with varying finish. I put up grass cloth shades. Working in stages, my next step is darker stain on the cabinets, insert teak flooring in the shower, remove large mirror and replace with large framed version. Then pause again and review to see if I can still live with the behemoth bath tub. I will be curious to see how yours turns out. Please post your after pictures.

• PRO
    Nadine Cius/Realty Icons
    8年前

Your bathroom is nice. I would not touch the bathtub nor the tiles. You should paint the trim white, frame the mirror, change the light fixtures, add white shades to the window and then reevaluate. If you decide to paint the doors, then you should also paint the cabinet. You just moved in the home and need to live in it first to find what is working and not working before spending boat loads of money.

Tamara SupicaさんはNadine Cius/Realty Iconsさんにお礼を言いました
  • Tamara Supica
    質問の投稿者
    8年前

Thank you Nadine! That is our plan for now. We get the keys on May 1st so I will let you know how it all goes. The more I look at it the more I like it. Just a little paint and I think it will all look great.

• PRO
    Dixie Apperson-Marsh Interiors
    8年前

I think it has good bones. I would paint the walls and ceiling Benjamin Moore's "Barren Plain". It is an awesome grey that blends beautifully with the wood tones you have as well as with the grey in your tile. Paint the crown molding and woodwork Benjamin Moore's Distant Gray. If you like a classic look, you could do three inch shutters painted in Distant Gray. If you prefer a more natural look, go for soft woven woods that have a top down/bottom up style mounted inside the wood trim and which have a cornice at the top. You could also frame the large mirror and change the faucets and light fixtures. I would not put in two mirrors due to the short distance between the vanity and the wall behind it. These would be inexpensive updates and they would completely change the look of your room. Best wishes for a makeover that brings you peace and contentment.

Tamara SupicaさんはDixie Apperson-Marsh Interiorsさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Dixie Apperson-Marsh Interiors
    8年前

If you are thinking of hanging a light fixture over the bathtub, you need to check with a licensed electrical company. It is against code. Even though many pictures show it, it would not pass inspection.

Tamara SupicaさんはDixie Apperson-Marsh Interiorsさんにお礼を言いました
  • diyer59
    8年前

That's a nice, big bathroom. The doors and cabinets are good, don't remove those. If you want to do the minimum now (live in it a while before taking a bigger plunge), I'd change the wall color and trim to be complementary to the flooring. Pick up the lighter colors in the floor. Turn the lights above the sinks facing down, facing up doesn't give you good lighting for putting on make-up (I have those exact lights!).

• Patty St Jean Brown
    8年前

The upsidedown shade is a great idea. Trim should be white, but put some color in the room, the overall color scheme is boring. A nice blue would work, see "Refresh" from Sherwin Williams. You can go on SW website and put in a basic color and see all the variations in each color family. New, bigger lights above the vanity would be great too. Pier One is a great place for rugs to blend your colors of the gray tile and whatever wall color you choose. Good luck!

• lettersfromlynn
    8年前
    Change to two mirrors and update lighting. Paint everything a warm white and live with the rest for at least a year. I agree that a free standing tub would look amazing but it's a big investment so wait for a while before making those major decisions.
  • vjdo
    8年前

Change the lights & mirrors & add some color would do it for me. Soft colors are real comfy & changing tub & sinks toilets etc. is expensive. It is nice as is but rather boring as to colors. I like colors & good lighting. Leave the cabinetry and doors as is but get rid of the trim.

Tamara Supicaさんはvjdoさんにお礼を言いました
  • ancilita
    8年前

It looks like a lovely space with loads of good light. i would live with it for a bit to see what works and what doesn't.

Short Term: imo, the wood color clashes with the tiles - i would repaint walls, doors and cabinets; my choice would be white/dark blue or dark grey. i would prefer darker color on walls as there seems to be plenty of light in this room and i like dramatic strong contrasts. you could add splashes of color with towels and even plants.

Other Thoughts: others have written about a stand alone bath, showers, different mirrors and lighting. I would be concerned about enough practical, usable, and pragmatic storage in a bathroom; just because its big doesnt make it functional. do you have the right type of functional storage? i hate digging about looking for stuff. i prefer pull out customized drawers with plenty of compartmentalization to store the hybrid bathroom stuff we have. Is functional practical storage important to you?

Tamara Supicaさんはancilitaさんにお礼を言いました
  • Cindy Calabro
    8年前
    after painting it needs some nice comfy throw rugs. big ones.
    Tamara SupicaさんはCindy Calabroさんにお礼を言いました
  • Maegan Brassfield
    8年前
    I would paint the trim white and the doors and cabinets grey, to go with the nice tiling.
    Tamara SupicaさんはMaegan Brassfieldさんにお礼を言いました
  • Brandy Perkins
    8年前

I have not read everyone posts but painting the trim and vanity gray ( Sherwin Williams Dovetail or Dorian Gray) and the walls two shades lighter in Eider White by Sherwin Williams would look really nice. I would take the mirror and sconces over the vanity down. Replace with two separate mirrors and put lighting sconces on the sides of the mirrors instead of the top. I would leave the tile and tub alone for a awhile. I have a feeling it will grow on you.

Tamara SupicaさんはBrandy Perkinsさんにお礼を言いました
  • Han Solo
    8年前
    See Jeanie Matteucci's April 12 article "Room of the Day: Master Bath Gets an Elegant Remake". The layout looks very similar to yours. Gray walls and white trim would make a huge difference. Keeping the cabinetry wood may add some warmth and comfort. If you are not going to use the tub, toss it. You could add a table, seating, something for staging clothes, or another sink and makeup area.
    Tamara SupicaさんはHan Soloさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Budget Blinds Sherwood Park
    8年前

What a gorgeous bathroom. I would paint the trim out in a white and add new lighting over the mirror in a larger scale. And I totally agree on changing out the current window coverings with a top down bottom up shade, that way you can maximize the natural lighting in the bathroom and ensure your privacy.

Tamara SupicaさんはBudget Blinds Sherwood Parkさんにお礼を言いました
  • hoping2
    8年前
    If you can have a custom curtain on the lower part of the window, with a coordinating custom valence mounted quite high, that would block the view but leave the sky and tree visible. That way you'll have privacy and add some softness. I agree that white paint on the trim, perhaps adding a picture rail few inches below the crown and painting the whole area white. I like your high neck fixtures, door levers, what I see of the shower, private water closet, tub and tile. A couple of nice strategically placed throw rugs would feel great and add coziness, or a larger single rug. Pick up a tone from the stone tile for the walls, and someday you may want to replace the sinks with under counter ones (no rush). You will end up with your own personality in a large, luxurious bath.
  • PRO
    Raleigh Cabinets & Remodeling
    8年前

change counter top to Granite and change mirror one for two

• PRO
    Revive Designer Bathrooms
    7年前

A couple of questions: what’s your style & color palette in adjacent room? What is your budget? Once that’s determined, I’d recommend considering the following design changes, prioritizing ideas & meeting with a professional to make sure any changes work with elements that are remaining. I would stay away from dark trim. You have a good amount of it & I wouldn’t necessarily want to make that a focal point.

Things to consider:

• Reworking the vanity area with either separate units or separate medicine cabinets, individual lighting & upgraded outlets.
    • If you find that the tub isn’t used, you could change that out with a free-standing model. Keep in mind that will necessitate replacing the floor.
    • Do you like the separate toilet room? Often this is eliminated to open up the room, or the wall in reduced to a 42” height.
    • If you are interested in replacing tile, I would focus of differentiating color & size between the walls and floor.
    • How is the shower functioning? Are the tiles, shower wall and shower head in good condition?
  • PRO
    User
    7年前
    Visit our store on Houzz search for " Stickonmania " we have over 22 000 products listed and will do custom stuff as well - Google for stickonmania.

Our production is located in FL and all products are made by hand. Shipping out in less than 5 days and prices starts at $5

We use premium material made for wall art only and it will not damage your wall when removed.