Houzz Logo Print
writerebecca1959

Seringa or rubberwood hardwood floors anyone?

Rebecca
8年前

I was at the flooring store today switching out hardwood samples (haven't decided between solid or engineered). Salesman showed me a couple of seringa (aka rubber wood) samples that are "great value" and "very durable". They certainly looked nice. But I've never heard of this before and wondered if anyone has this installed and how they like it.

コメント (9)

• Rebecca
    質問の投稿者
    8年前

Wow. That is a very informative link, practigal. Thank you for this.

• PRO
    Sombreuil
    8年前

Rubberwood/parawood is terribly soft.

However, it is possible to compress and compact wood during manufacture to increase the density. I saw an article where some factory was making white pine flooring that had been treated to be as hard as oak.

Casey

• aportune
    6年前

We were sold three rooms-full of "Pacific Pecan" and told by the salesman it had a Janka rating of 1800, like true Pecan. We picked it up and the boxes say Seringa. Not at all the 1800 Janka! It's only 995. We like the look and hope that the manufacturer-applied finish holds up and makes the difference. We have to install it because they won't take it back. Buyer-beware...

• PRO
    Pride - N - Mine Flooring
    6年前
    最終更新:6年前

@ aportune - How has the flooring held up thus far to dentation? Is the finish scratching easily? Do you have pets or kids?

• corey2m
    6年前

Wondering the same. About to purchase soon but can't find many reviews.

• Eun Jang
    6年前

https://www.builddirect.com/learning-center/flooring/janka-hardness-rating-scale/

Not sure if this is correct, but it seems that the janka scale may not even apply to engineered wood

Where do engineered hardwoods stand on the Janka Hardness scale? They don’t, really. Why? Since these hardwoods are made with a layer of softer wood beneath them, their hardness cannot really be gauged correctly with the scale. Little information is available on how these engineered woods would fit into the scale because of the variances in materials used to build the layers of flooring from brand to brand. Logic and reason indicate that engineered flooring with a thicker veneer of solid hardwood would be stronger, but this may or may not be the case. To make things simple, do not focus on the Janka Hardness Scale when purchasing an engineered wood floor.

• C Oc
    5年前

@Eun Jange What should buyers focus on with engineered? The wear layer?

• rdacp1 .
    4年前
    最終更新:4年前

I’d go with hardwood it’s much nicer and runs about the same price when it’s all done. The Seringa is a beautiful wood and is very durable. My house has it in every room except the baths kitchen and laundry. I have pets kids and grand kids and it’s held up beautifully. The satin finish is the one to get it glows when the light hits it. Make sure to get the kind that’s been treated to strengthen it

PR