Houzz Logo Print
brittneybernfeld

Outdoor curb appeal and furniture advice wanted!

Brittney
8年前

Hi,

We moved into our new to us 30 year old contemporary style home in southeastern PA (zone 7) last fall. (Myself and my husband (30ish) and 2 year old son)

I am looking for advice at this point mainly on any simple curb appeal upgrades for the front of the house. Especially door color- I was thinking maybe red or should I stick with navy? Even if I keep the door color the same as it is it will need to be repainted due to condition. Also looking for furniture ideas and easy to maintain plants that would do well in the shade in zone 7.

p.s.- these photos are from the listing as the current backdrop would be leafless trees, we have since added white gutters w/leaf guards to the house!

Photos and info:

The house is situated in a neighborhood but set back into the woods so that we have lots of trees (a few dozen in the front yard alone) and get lots of shade. We have a front porch and circular patio in the front.

Porch:

Previous owners sofa, I was thinking of rocking chairs, maybe the grandin road shown below, any comments on this or other ideas? Also what color do you like?

More colors on website: http://www.grandinroad.com/nantucket-rocking-chair/312006

Patio:

Previous owners chairs, but we were also thinking to get adirondacks, welcome any options or other ideas. We did purchase the below gas fire pit from costco in order to sit out here with friends at night.

Purchased, need help with seating

For reference here are some pictures of the backyard and deck. We plan to use it for grilling, eating, and additional seating space. Maybe a future dilemma!

House layout and dimensions for reference:

THANKS in advance for all input, I really appreciate it!

コメント (18)

• leighcliburn
    8年前
    What a fabulous home!! I would definitely go bold with the front door. And I like the mix of wood with the home for definition.
    Brittneyさんはleighcliburnさんにお礼を言いました
  • Brittney
    質問の投稿者
    8年前

Thanks for the reply and the compliment!

I never would have thought to go so bold for the door color but I do like it!

I do not have bold colors on the inside of the home- mainly neutrals and blues- do you think it is okay to have a different style outside than inside?

I like your idea of the wood as well- could you tell me where you could see those accents working on our house? Or maybe just some planters and furniture in the wood to accent?

Thanks!

• leighcliburn
    8年前
    I would absolutely go bold for door. And the wood would be nice on garage wall by the single longer window and again at the corner by porch area.
    Brittneyさんはleighcliburnさんにお礼を言いました
  • leighcliburn
    8年前
    Consider adding some molding to the other Windows on front. Keep lines clean and simple though. And lighting will be key for night.
  • leighcliburn
    8年前
    Use same door color for accents on porch and pit area on front. I think bold is the only way to go.
  • leighcliburn
    8年前
    Consider this at porch side to right.
  • Rusty Empire
    8年前

I'm counter the herd here. Go with a deep charcoal grey or black. Add color via compact sized Japanese weeping maples (Laceleaf) that have a beautiful shape and color. And some variegated grasses (like zebra grass and yucca "color guard") too to combat the dull shrubs.

BrittneyさんはRusty Empireさんにお礼を言いました
  • jck910
    8年前

I love navy doors and think it would look great on your home. Adirondack chairs are not very comfortable, difficult to get out of. Love those Grandin Road rockers. What I did years ago (20+) was get the basics (table & chairs for eating and other patio chairs) in white. I bought good quality (Telescope) and they still look brand new today. Then I added some less expensive chairs in a color I liked at the time. Recently I added lime green with the white stuff for a new look. Lovely home, Enjoy it.

Brittneyさんはjck910さんにお礼を言いました
  • emmarene9
    8年前

If your house is light grayish green then I like a purple door. Adirondack chairs are a bit low. You have to consider the height of your fire pit. People like to look down into the fire. I love the rockers for your porch.

Brittneyさんはemmarene9さんにお礼を言いました
  • emmarene9
    8年前

A landscaping trick I learn of is to maintain the hedge at one level even if grown on a slope. Here is an example.

• emmarene9
    8年前

If your house is blue then navy for the door. What color is the house?

• User
    8年前

You home is all about being nestled into the trees and I think you should stay with nature'

s colors for the exterior. I could see a soft, not bright or reflective red for this door, especially if you planted a red leafed tree close to the facade. crimson King Maple. You keep it severely pruned back for a small tree with interesting shape. Adding a Japanese Maple in the same color family gives cohesion. You could add container planting with coleus to reinforce this hue.

BrittneyさんはUserさんにお礼を言いました
  • Brittney
    質問の投稿者
    8年前

Wow! I really appreciate all of the comments! Lots to think about here. I really like the idea of adding some red leafed plants to the landscaping to bring in more interest crime puremichigan. And thank you to emmarene for pointing out that the Adirondack chairs would be too low for the firepit- that is absolutely right and something we hadn't considered!

The house color is a blue gray- not really any green to the tone although I can see how that would come across in the pictures.

I think I'm leaning toward a slate grey, navy or soft red door- I do like the idea of a bright color but not sure it's cohesive with the interior colors.

In in another couple weeks I hope we will have some so consistently warm days where I can get the door painted. I will update the after we paint!

• flopsycat1
    8年前

Great house, beautiful setting. Have fun with the front door paint. It's easy to change and does not have to be consistent with your interior color choices.

Brittneyさんはflopsycat1さんにお礼を言いました
  • Brittney
    質問の投稿者
    8年前

Thank you, puremichigan! I really like the paint color you suggested and think for now we will go with that as flopsycat pointed out we can always change it in the future if we decide to go bolder. Now, to just get some consistently warm weather!

• Brittney
    質問の投稿者
    8年前

Hi again, houzzers!

I have decided to paint my front door the navy "Bayard Blue" suggested by Pure Michigan. I am also going to order the rocking chairs I mentioned from Grandin Road but can't decide what color is best. Does anyone have a recommendation/opinion for which color with a blue/gray house and navy door?

Considering these three, "weathered surf", "white" and "weathered gray" Also considering red, maybe even black.

More colors on website: http://www.grandinroad.com/nantucket-rocking-chair/312006

House and porch again as a reminder.

Thank you!

• PRO
    John Stapleton
    8年前
    I like the curve of the little patio against the lines of the home. What about a bit of landscape in front of the patio to accentuate the curve?