Houzz Logo Print
tammybluhm

Backsplash help needed!!

T B
8年前
Does anyone have any ideas for backsplash in our new kitchen? We are in the home stretch and I am a little overwhelmed with a couple of the last descisions. Originally thinking white subway tile in maybe 4x12 size. But maybe it would be too much white. And what to do with wall area above stove....meaning do we then put some kind of accent square design?
Our contractor suggested stone to match a fireplace in living area but I cannot find any that will work. Perhaps a ceramic that matches the wall color to keep simple, clean lines. We want it simple, not too busy.

コメント (14)

• PRO
    Roger L Johnson, Architect
    8年前
    Classic White subway tile w/ black grout to make it pop
  • T B
    質問の投稿者
    8年前
    Roger L Johmson - I was thinking maybe the white with a light taupy grout so as not to be tooo busy. Or maybe the 4x12 tiles in the picture below with a taupy grout...but am afraid it might then look dingy. Also, the ballatore tiles below are not shiny...if that matters?
  • PRO
    8年前

The 4x12 is a nice tile but by looking at your kitchen I feel the classic subway would work the best. The light taupe grout would be ok if you don't like the black but your cabinet hardware looks black so I was pulling from that.

• PRO
    8年前

Similar to this

• PRO
    Finstads Carpet One
    8年前
    I LOVE your idea of 4x12's. The larger format subway is the way to go as the 3x6 size has been so overdone. Here is a 4x12 image done in a bathroom with a contrasting grout. The key is to have a very experienced installer that is precise with the spacing of the tile. Otherwise, a bad installation will draw your eye to the grout joints that the spacing is off. Gorgeous home. https://www.houzz.com/magazine/room-of-the-day-traditional-and-modern-merge-in-a-family-bath-stsetivw-vs~59680467
  • PRO
    Finstads Carpet One
    8年前
    Here's a backsplash I designed recently. Adding some mosaics randomly between tiles can add some interest. These happen to be stainless penny rounds but there are many options in the tile world that will suit many different styles.
    Kitchens · 詳細
  • T B
    質問の投稿者
    8年前
    how about white 2x8's like below
    (image 1 shows similar cabinetry)
  • PRO
    TheGrouStore
    8年前

Have you considered glass tile? so many sizes, shapes and colors.

• Arlen Dau
    8年前
    Perhaps a gloss black tile and accent in some way with brush nickel accents. Or if you don't like the nickel accents, then a light color contrasting grout.
  • T B
    質問の投稿者
    8年前
    ^^yes, I have looked at the glass but worried it might be too busy. There is a large fireplace in living room, it feels like it might compete with...lighting is wierd in 1st but it show the relation to the kitchen.
  • Kathi Steele
    8年前

Because your countertop is more solid, if you would like to go with a patterned backsplash, I think it would be okay. Not too wild. Not too patterned.

The grout should match the tile if you get a solid color.

You could always paint it until you find a backsplash you like.

• PRO
    Vanteriordesign
    8年前
    最終更新:8年前

Hi there,

I was working in a countertop showroom and I have seen a lot different options for tiles as well.

You can definitely go with something busier then my example (see below).

Though if you feel you don't like the busyness in your kitchen - don't listen to the design perfection - you are the one working in the kitchen. Whatever is modern or gives the best "wow" effect. Always keep in mind that it's your home in the end to feel cozy and not distracted.

I would recommend to visit 2-3 showrooms to choose your tiles. Bring your cabinets samples with you to play with the different options.

For sure take some of your favourite tiles examples home. Usually the designs of the tiles have a different look at home regards the different lighting etc.

Let me know is you have any further questions. You're welcome to message me anytime. If you're located within the Greater Vancouver Area I offer a one hour free consultation.

Thank you,

Sina

[Example[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/taylor-residence-traditional-kitchen-atlanta-phvw-vp~25215727)

• Kathi Steele
    8年前

The thing is, do you want your backsplash to be the star of your kitchen, or do you want the overall effect?

Do you want your kitchen to be like a painting that you view the whole detail and then discover wonderful elements? Or do you want your kitchen to be a beautiful beach painting with a pink flower in the middle? It could go in the right circumstance, but your eyes would always be drawn to it.

In my opinion, your kitchen elements should compose a beautiful painting with one element no more important than the next. Find pictures of kitchens that you like and see what you do and do not like about them.

Your backsplash area is not very large. You could go wild. Is that the overall theme you want?