Houzz Logo Print
ironmtn

Should it STAY or should it GO now?

Should this stone fireplace stay in this kitchen nook? It is definitely an interesting feature, but the rust color stone is not appealing to my client who would consider her style "transitional".

コメント (18)

• PRO
    Susan Mills Design
    11年前
    Can we see more of the room please? Ta!
  • PRO
    K.O.H. Construction Corporation
    11年前
    Very busy looking ,does not look like the work of a true artisan.
  • PRO
    Hummingbird Designs
    11年前
    I kind of like it ..... But I can't tell much about the room with just this picture.
  • 14thstreet
    11年前
    I saw somewhere a similar fireplace that had been sandblasted or something to that effect and the color difference was amazing.
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    11年前
    You'll probably have 50% of readers voting to keep the stones and vice versa.
  • PRO
    Charmean Neithart Interiors
    11年前
    I love the stone, I would keep it.
  • Sandra Whittier
    11年前
    Comb thru the varity of fireplaces at www.fauxpanels.com .I'm sure you will find what you really have a feel for.
  • Robin
    11年前
    The small firebox in the large wall of stone is off balance. I would add a mantle. Overall the stone is nice, just overpowering.
  • lefty47
    11年前
    HI -- It's too much , it's dated , and if the client doesn't like it , -it should go . So the client rules .
  • yvesun
    11年前
    I like it!! A thick weathered cedar mantel would look amazing!
  • User
    11年前
    add a mantel, whitewash the stone, decorate the mantel with transitional pieces...depends on the geographical location..if this is Colorado then yes, but Atlanta no. Does your client want a more country, mountain feeling?
  • hpsandiego
    11年前
    Keep the stone - but remove the standard wood fire place screen - add in gas and do a more modern glass bits - in a light color. I think it might open up the little dark cave/cubby of a burn space and give them a more "transitional" look?
  • Joanne Rago
    11年前
    It definitely needs a large mantle. Nice that it incorporates stone and is in the kitchen. Lucky you!!! just put in a chunky mantle shelf, and let your decorating ideas pop!! I can see a rustic basket with wood and maybe rooster or decorative plants across the shelf, brass planters and candle holders would look nice!!!
  • PRO
    Denny Shuty
    11年前
    The opening is too small with that big clunky stone. Go with a stone or tile of a smaller scale.
  • PRO
    Beautiful Space Co
    11年前
    If this was a mid-century modern home then it could look great, especially if it was soda-blasted to make the colors more vibrant. (The rust may look great then). If not, I'd consider painting it white. Shocking I know, :) but it can look awesome if done well, would eliminate the color the client doesnt like, give you far more decorating options and still retain the gorgeous texture. I also agree with the need for a beautiful mantel to balance the proportions.

-Steve
  • PRO
    nFORMAL design
    11年前
    Not a fan of that stone as it looks dated, but not "vintage". Also, I would suggest painting stone only as a last resort. Brick looks okay painted , but IMHO, stone doesn't reflect that aesthetic as well. I'd either go solid over it (concrete overlay) or put up a totally new surround. It all depends on the aesthetic of the client.
  • PRO
    Keane Kitchens
    10年前
    The downside is that stone is NOT FUN to demo. Its very traditional but outdated and if the house is being updated it should go.