Houzz Logo Print
sisanmyers2

Breezeway makeover

I would love some ideas about how to enclose our breezeway. Right now it has a rod iron gate. We would like to enclose it because our road traffic is getting busier and noisier, and we would like the privacy. My husband has an idea to build a wall in front of the breezeway that would tie into the rock columns at the front of the house and an entrance from the side by the garage doors. I would like something that doesn't scream "wow they walled in a breezeway"! We have also had a suggestion to add a wall with French doors.
The backdoor entrance to the house is in the breezeway and we do come through the breezeway from the front yard to get to the backyard for entertaining.
Any ideas would be helpful even suggestions about the type of professional we might use.

コメント (11)

• Rusty Empire
    8年前

Having a short run of fence incorporated across from the breezeway entrance would work. I wouldn't attach it to the house at all but set it forward to function as a privacy wall and sound barrier. It could have your house numbers incorporated into the face in a distinctive manner, and could also have power run to it for a lantern (good for security also) I can't say I'm a big fan of the yellow stone though, so the fence could be built from cedar as an alternate. I wouldn't recommend French doors or a glass wall unless you were completely upgrading your exterior.

Willits Compound · 詳細

• sisanmyers2
    質問の投稿者
    8年前
    Thanks for your input. I'm not understanding the picture I relation to your comment though.
  • Rusty Empire
    8年前
    最終更新:8年前

It does seem like a waste of space. But back to the posted photo - it simply depicts a nicely executed privacy wall - it has no relationship to your home specifically. Sorry for the confusion.

• lbrunworth
    8年前
    I think I would build a cedar planter the length of the breezeway and maybe about 2-1/2 - 3ft tall. I'm not sure what region you live in, but you could either plant something that will give you privacy like bamboo (or a succulent wall) or you can put a trellis in the planter and grow some vines. I think this would be your least expensive option and it will look good as well!
  • lbrunworth
    8年前
    Search "privacy planters" to get some ideas of what to plant...
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    8年前

You might put up the wall (stone/brick/concrete will cut sound best I believe) & then have plants in front of the wall. Here're some pix that are close to what came to mind when I read your explanation, obviously plants need to be appropriate to your climate...

& in my image search, I came across this page of Houzz photos...

[https://www.houzz.com/photos/concrete-fence-phbr0lbl-bl~l_38922[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/concrete-fence-phbr0lbl-bl~l_38922)

• PRO
    Ingalls Custom Contracting
    8年前

If you build a gable over your existing garage, to match the
    main portion of your house, you would add depth to the face of it. Therefore,
    you could enclose with windows or French doors.

• classysass
    8年前

This is the exact method that was used in the house I mentioned in my previous post. It made a very nice and sun-filled room.

• Judy Mishkin
    8年前
    最終更新:8年前

the idea of french doors on both sides so that people can still walk through to the backyard doesnt appeal. but you could close in some (2/3?) of the breezeway leaving just a narrower passage next to the garage and add the rest of the space to your house...mud room? laundry? without doors in front and out the back..which does scream 'closed in breezeway' to me.

and then dig up the cement forecourt and put in some nice landscaping.

• sisanmyers2
    質問の投稿者
    8年前
    Thank for all the great ideas!
    We had thought I'd the plant wall. We are in the Central Valley of California which get hot in the summer and can freeze in the winter. With that said, I'm sure there are a lot of great plants we could use.
    I love the gabled roof and wish we would had thought of that when we redid our roof after the last remodel!
    Thanks again. I love all the ideas this site can generate.