Houzz Logo Print
temzbra

Mirrors in Kitchen dining area!

temzbra
8年前
In the kitchen dining nook I have three (3) arches with mirrors inserted in them. It makes no sense to me as to why previous owners did this. I placed a large medallion in the center arch to break up the massive mirrors.

I plan to remove all three mirrors, but have no idea what to replace them without!

PLEASE give me any ideas! Desperate for help.

コメント (13)

• PRO
    The Design Project
    8年前

Yes remove the mirrors. You can place a large piece of art - eg. a colourful canvas in the large niche and sets of stacked framed art in the smaller ones. (either b&w photography or perhaps botanical prints)

• Kayla Johnson
    8年前
    Remove mirrors and switch the two on the sides for a canvas each and the one in the middle I think you should put wallpaper on that wall.
  • sandradclark
    8年前

You could frame out & install drywall in the largest one. (Don't know how deep it is). & remove the mirrors in the side ones. Can you give us photos of each niche closer, please?

• Kayla Johnson
    8年前
    I like your idea about dry wall if the wallpaper doesn't work.
  • temzbra
    質問の投稿者
    8年前
    Here's a closer look!
  • PRO
    Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
    8年前
    I would leave the mirrors in place. It actually opens up the room and makes it look bigger. What I would do is to make them look like Windows and put window treatments over the arched opening so they actually look like Windows.
  • Ann
    8年前

I think I'd leave the two mirrors on the sides but I might remove the biggest one.

• sandradclark
    8年前

Your hanging light is fighting with the round object in the back wall. I do like the idea of adding a grouping of photos or prints on just the back one & removing the side ones by drywalling over them.

Niches can be such a difficult design element.

• User
    8年前

These niches were popular in houses built in the late 80s-early90s when tromp l'oeil murals were popular, and that can still be a good option if you want to keep them. I have one and framed pictures don't work well. Two dimensional pieces do better. I think I'd seriously consider drywalling them in though.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    8年前

If you drywall the niches in, you'll be dismayed how plain your room becomes. Not sure why someone would say your fixture is fighting with the arch...........it's not. If you 86 the mirrors, you'll want to at least paint the niches in some type of contrasting color. Are there other arches in the home?

• breached
    8年前

Yes, there are two narrower niches that are also mirrored flanking the entry to the kitchen.

• Kayla Johnson
    8年前
    Maybe you could remove the two on the sides and place down paintings and keep the mirror in the middle on that wall because it brings out more of the room. I think that is because it reflects the room but I would definitely not recommend keeping in all of the mirrors