Houzz Logo Print
newhavena

Flooring options for stairs

newhavena
8年前

I have a 2 story home, and would prefer an affordable, safe alternative to carpeting for my staircase and upstairs rooms. Any suggestions? I don't want a slippery floor.

コメント (9)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    8年前

What do you have for flooring on main floor.?

• newhavena
    質問の投稿者
    8年前

Tile on first floor, kitchen, and upstairs bathrooms. Not looking to change that. Thanks!

• sarahjrem
    8年前

I have all maple-colored hardwood in our split level. We also have slippery, hardwood stairs. I was looking into some decent looking treads, and I couldn't come up with anything right away. My husband got tired of the slipping risk (and we have two children and a dog) so he went and got some very generic stair treads that you just stick on from Home Depot. They are not gorgeous. But they are safe, and will work until I figure something else out! Looking forward to seeing what others might post here.

newhavenaさんはsarahjremさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    8年前

Cork floating flooring on both the stairs (glued in place with proper nosing) and on the upper floor = carpet replacement product. Cork is considered a low slip surface (much grippier than hardwood and most tiles) and is as good or better with reducing noise = excellent carpet replacement.

JMHO

• PRO
    Marlene Oliphant Designs LLC
    8年前

I carpeted my stairs in a chocolate brown patterned wool carpet. Our stairs get heavy traffic and this carpet takes it all. Just had it cleaned for the first time in 3 years, even though it did not look dirty. Wool carpet wears extremely well. The other option for you would be a commercial-grade carpet that can stand up to heavy traffic. Good luck!

• PRO
    Marlene Oliphant Designs LLC
    8年前

P.S. I know you said you don't want carpet but I would urge you to reconsider.

• PRO
    Gray & Walter, Ltd.
    8年前

You could use sisal installed wall to wall or wood floors with area rugs.

• PRO
    ULTIMATE HARDWOOD LTD
    8年前
    You can apply a non slip finish to the hardwood. Several manufacterers make this. I've done it several times on steps. Works really well.