Houzz Logo Print
deborahbw

Advice? One spouse is ready, the other feels they don't need any help!

A potential client would love for their home to be a place they can be proud of, one they love coming home to. They really want our assistance & have expressed that they realize an experienced designer can help them achieve a home that is both appealing to the eye and functional.

On the flip side, the other spouse feels they can continue to purchase home decor items on their own, mostly from the internet or discount stores. Their purchases do not consider all the criteria good designers consider, such as SIZE, SCALE, STYLE, SHAPE, DURABILITY, QUALITY, PRICE, FUNCTION, COLOR, NOT TRENDY, COMFORT, etc. --- We get the feeling this spouse either loves to shop - or - they'd like to be able to say they did it all on their own?

We really feel for the spouse who knows it's best to have an overall plan and feels they need guidance. Any communication ideas you can suggest?

コメント (7)

• PRO
    HERE Design and Architecture
    8年前
    I always tell my clients to hire a therapist and to include the cost in the project cost - only half joking.

Having said that, I would say to them that it appears that they disagree about the best way to proceed, and that you cannot work under those circumstances. Honestly, I think I might run from this one.

If you really want the job, write it into the agreement that one or other of them is the one giving direction and you will be responsible to take direction only from that person, or, that written approval of both is required when making design decisions.
    Transforming RoomsさんはHERE Design and Architectureさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Transforming Rooms
    質問の投稿者
    8年前

Here Design and Architecture, thanks!

• susanalanandwrigley
    8年前
    最終更新:8年前

I think since you have obvious disdain for the partner who does not want a designer and his/her tastes, this is not a job you should take.

• PRO
    Transforming Rooms
    質問の投稿者
    8年前

No disdain! Have only spent a short time with them, in that time they seemed like a really fun, nice person.

It's actually the husband who likes to shop, not the wife.

Through the years it often starts out this way, then they both end up happy in the end, it's hard to tell in the early stages.

• User
    8年前

Use Houzz for its original purpose. Get the aloof spouse to trawl the photos on Houzz and save to appropriate ideabooks. It could make a huge difference.

• PRO
    Transforming Rooms
    質問の投稿者
    8年前

Chookchook - great reminder, that normally works!