twobitz

Odd space...need help. Our entryway is small but how to use this area

Odd space design problem. · 詳細

コメント (28)

• Denise Ciaralli
    質問の投稿者
    8年前

I am trying to figure out how to use this 'dead' space beside the stairs. It becomes a holding area for music gear and I would like to use the space more effectively. Would a console table and mirror be appropriate in this space?

• Denise Ciaralli
    質問の投稿者
    8年前

Also thinking about painting the interior of the door. Wondering what colour would work best.

That odd space measures 20" W x 26" L.

• Sigrid
    8年前

I've got a space just like that. If you need more space to hang coats, you can get a coat rack. I have a plant in mine. You want something that can take lowish light, but it should get some sun from the door, so it doesn't have to be a plant that can only take low light.

• PRO
    Joi S Tannert, ASID/ Artist Eye Designs
    8年前

The space is too confining for a console table. Whatever you put there needs to be viewed nicely from all directions, particularly as you walk in from the doorway and as you turn toward the stairs (per your second photo). but even walking down the stairway. Maybe a large floor vase or a pedestal with a sculpture or vase or arrangement on it would work. This would be a vertical piece that sits in the middle of the space rather than against the wall, but fills the space mostly. If you want something that works against the wall, the logical piece is a grandfather clock or similar item that is vertical but narrow. They come in all styles from modern to the traditional to work with your style.

• Susan Davis
    8年前
    最終更新:8年前

I would suggest a colorful square upholstered bence with a tall vertical mirror above it so you can check yourself going in and out and have a spot to put drop packages or put shoes on or off.

Urban Living - Pacific Heights · 詳細

• Denise Ciaralli
    質問の投稿者
    8年前

The space is too small for anything larger scale. Thanks for the thoughts though.

• Denise Ciaralli
    質問の投稿者
    8年前

The entryway has the front door and is flanked on either side by the 2 pce bath and the garage door. I am not sure if painting out the front door would look okay since there are actually 3 doors in that space. Then looking into the house, another door for the basement access. Just trying to find a way to make the entrance look better.

We have a wall mounted mirror with hooks for hanging coats up from the landing area now. But I want to find a thin table to place there and better dress up the area for shoes and boots. The small area beside the stairs I think is better to put a console table and mirror in because it is out of the way and too small for seating of any kind.

• Rawketgrl
    8年前

A lingerie chest. I found several on overstock and wayfair that would fit your space.

Denise CiaralliさんはRawketgrlさんにお礼を言いました
  • ninjanonni
    8年前
    I believe I would build in a storage seat. I know the space is small, but it would give you a place to both store your shoes and a place to sit and put them on. You could have a nice seat cushion made for it and put a decorative pillow at the back of it for a pop of color. Just a thought!
  • Denise Ciaralli
    質問の投稿者
    8年前

Thanks for the ideas! It isn't wide enough for a seat but a narrow depth cabinet might do the trick.

• Katbv Vero
    8年前
    How about a really cool looking coat stand? You could find an antique one or whatever style you like, or something decorative like a tall vase?
  • Denise Ciaralli
    質問の投稿者
    8年前

Thank you ... we have a mirror with coat hooks already installed on the opposite wall....not really into vases and such either. Like to keep it rather clean, simple and uncluttered.

• Katherine Hatter
    8年前

Maybe a bookcase (either open or closed) or even shoe storage cabinets (narrow and closed).

• havingfun
    8年前

3 thoughts, a table with a tray underneath that can be slid out to hold shoes and boots. just put a lamp or something on or above. If you have pups or kits a secret spot under a table for a bed. and third a long, long chandy coming down from above, reaching to just above the floor.

• spraguec
    8年前
    To make your entry more cohesive and welcoming I would do the following:
    Replace your stripe mat with something similar to your oriental runner. They don't have to match but try to pull from some of the existing colors in the runner.
    You mentioned a garage and 2-piece bath flanking your front entry. I think it would bring peace of mind (tidiness) to your entry if you were to buy or invent a rack for coats, a bench for sitting, and storage below for shoes just inside your garage. I have never been a big fan of people having a collection of shoes, etc. inside the front door.
    As for your stairway niche - shop for a mid-to-tall lingerie chest. Place a small lamp or spray of lighted branches on top to bring needed light into the space. I'm sure you can use the chest for gloves, scarves, etc. - even a tray on top for keys, phones, or have one of the drawers converted to charging station.
    To the left of the front door, perhaps you can find a narrow shelf to mount to the wall - some even have little box drawers below also helpful for small items. Top for mail, keys, etc.
    One further thought - for the door that leads to the basement, you can have a carpenter change the direction of the door and have it open into the staircase - somewhat awkward, but if it's not used often....
    Usable space that works for you make everyday doings so much easier. Good Luck.
    Denise Ciaralliさんはspraguecさんにお礼を言いました
  • acm
    8年前

umbrella stand? mat for tossing wet boots?

great place for a bucket of sports equipment, a guitar, or any other tall stuff that goes in and out a lot too...

• PRO
    Joi S Tannert, ASID/ Artist Eye Designs
    8年前

Please do not change the swing of the door to the basement as suggested above...it is contrary to building code and is dangerous to open a door over stairs. There must be at least 3 feet of level flooring behind the door before a drop.

• Denise Ciaralli
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    I did swap the entry carpet to go better with the hall carpet. I also removed the shoes etc. Much better. Still looking for a little cabinet.
  • JB
    7年前
    They are not as common anymore but a nice wooden magazine rack. Use it as a place to put mail and catalogues as you are entering the house.
  • JB
    7年前
    Leather Hide Magazine Holder · 詳細
  • JB
    7年前
    Magazine Rack with Carry Handle · 詳細
  • JB
    7年前
    Ore International 15" Magazine Rack, Mahogany · 詳細
  • Denise Ciaralli
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    Still trying to define that space....I am thinking a nice plant would do.
  • PRO
    Bens General Contracting Corp.
    7年前

Could you do something like this but maybe a tiny bit smaller?

2015 Midwest Home Luxury Home #6 · 詳細

• Denise Ciaralli
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    The space is far too tight.
  • raineycarole
    7年前
    What is the width and depth of the space?
  • Denise Ciaralli
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    20" W x 26" L.