Houzz Logo Print
gilbertgrape

Bedroom: How to give a wow factor without disturbing the calm

Good morning. This is my bedroom so far. It's lovely and spacious but still needs more work to bring it all together. It's a basement room and the doors go out to the bottom of a stairwell so it's not flooded with natural light - nor is there a beautiful vista.

I like the white - it's calming. But at the moment it's a bit insipid and needs a wow factor. The art you see leaning here and there is from my travels - there seems to be a burnt orange coming through in some of them so that could be a good accent colour to use. Any ideas?

The existing furniture will stay (apart from the chair which is only there until I see something that I love). And I need to add bedside tables. What should I do with that big open space in front of the windows? Chaise? Reading chair? Bureau? Would it look strange to put something in front of the window? It's not a regular exit / entrance.

How should I dress the windows? Currently there are vertical blinds and the glass is frosted. Curtains will get in the way of the wardrobe on the right. Shutters would be great but may be out of my price range.

There's a lot of wood going on and I was thinking about carpeting it. What do you think of a very large rug instead? How would I place it?

Finally - the walls - I was thinking of a large mirror on the wall where the pictures are leaning on the radiator and some more dramatic arrangement over the long dresser. What do you think?

Lots of room for creativity but I guess I'm scared of making it look busy or cluttered. How do I keep the calm but add a wow?

コメント (14)

• PRO
    Patience Designs Studio Ltd
    8年前
    I think a bit more lighting could help, maybe a big feature lamp near the chair. Sometimes filling empty spaces with light can be very effective.
  • PRO
    Hillarys
    8年前

Hiya,

What a gorgeous bedroom - you're blessed with a lovely space. A reading nook would be a lovely addition to this space like you say.

As for the window dressings, if you like the style of shutters but feel they're out of your price range, Wooden blinds with added tape could help. This is where thicker tape is used instead of cords, creating a lovely luxurious effect that lots of people feel mimics shutters. Here's an example of contrasting tape, but when tape is the same colour as the blinds, it really does create the shutter-style effect:

Bedroom blinds and interiors · 詳細

Let me know if you'd like any more advice,

Thanks,

Zoe

• mrskain1
    8年前
    What colour is the wall painted? I think the wall colour isn't white enough (from the photos).
  • PRO
    Surface View
    8年前
    最終更新:8年前

This space is really gorgeous and so much potential. Love what you'e already done. It looks like a very stress free atmosphere to unwind in the evenings.

To pick up on the points you mentioned, an accent colour is a great idea. Burnt orange would work well with the wood you have. Whichever colour you choose a warm hue. Then add flecks of this colour across your scheme to balance the colours.

Windows - have you thought about window films? They are a really great solution to have a subtle feature but still keep the light coming through. The V&A do a gorgeous lace design, linked here. I'll put a image of it in situ as well. Its a bespoke product so you could choose the correct sizes for your windows to fit it exactly.

'Venetian Lace' Window Film - V&A Collection · 詳細

Lastly, with your framed prints and ornaments on the drawers - why not make them into a bit of a feature. By arranging them creatively, its the perfect way to display items that mean something to you and also adding a point of interest of a black wall. This inspiration picture looks fabulous.

Also the chair looks great!

Love to see what you go with! Best of luck.

• gilbertgrape
    質問の投稿者
    8年前
    Thanks everyone. Mrskain - it's Jasmine white - it's a basement and I was worried that white white might be too harsh - that's what I used for the stairway and upstairs.

I like the idea of window film - there's already a film on it but it's frosted - I didn't know you could get patterned ones. I've also looked up the taped blinds - very nice.

A feature wall might so the trick. I'll keep you posted.

Anyone got a good idea for a rug: size, colour, placement? The floor is really cold in a morning!
  • mrskain1
    8年前
    With the tone of white on the wall I would opt for an accent colour of a green and then introduce your burnt orange in smaller doses. With the floor and the large dresser having that slight orange undertone already I think more of the same won't get rid of the insipidness you're trying to get away from. I would also hang drapes on the window just for some softness. I saw the photo attached and think the rug would look good in your bedroom.
  • mrskain1
    8年前
    Opps. Here's the photo
  • turquoisetree53
    8年前
    最終更新:8年前

suggest a lovely big palm plant...in a decorative pot you love, and some lighting underneath it to give extra drama at night.

A big fleecy sheepskin rug always looks super-inviting.

by, the way, have used Dulux jasmine white very happily, in two very varied situations, and love the way it adapts to light, day and night.

• Wide House
    8年前

how far do you want to go...? The floor is contributing a lot to the room, now looking at the pictures if you can imagine a white carpet throughout I think it would really lift the room, it would off-set the colour of the drawers nicely, and possibly answer the cold toes issue...

• PRO
    Prime Living
    8年前

The room looks lovely, nice space. Might the addition of a stone-tiled wall behind the bed help, fairly light-ish colours, as in this photo?

• moorlikeit
    8年前

A fleecy sheepskin would work well or a large room sized rug allowing a wood floor border. I would strongly caution against white carpet throughout. Firstly the wood floor provides a practical flooring and has warm tones (adding psychological warmth if not the real thing!). White carpet is a definite statement harking back to the 1970s (when it was often accompanied by gold accessories and life size china dogs) and is also nearly impossible to maintain in a pristine condition. Once it is less than snowy, it will look grim.

• Antoine Abi Nakhle
    8年前
    so nice
    gilbertgrapeさんはAntoine Abi Nakhleさんにお礼を言いました
  • sarawad
    8年前

I think a big mirror above the singer table at the bottom of the stairs would look great, a really ornate pewter framed one and BIG! bring some light down if possible!