Houzz Logo Print
tropigurl

Backsplash for Taj Mahal countertop and mahogany cabinets

Rhonda Hooson
8年前
最終更新:8年前

I'm having a real tough time selecting a backsplash with the hope that it won't take attention away from the mahogany cabinets but tie in nicely with them along with the Taj Mahal quartzite countertops, stainless steel appliances and ivory travertine flooring. This is a contemporary-tropical style home in Hawaii. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Here are some photos of the kitchen cabinets (open shelving will be an enclosed appliance garage) along with two backsplashes that I liked. I'm wondering which of the two to choose or if I'm way off base here.

コメント (24)

• Brandi Nash Hicks
    8年前
    I think both of those have too many lines,they will make the eye jump around as your cabinets already have lines in the wood, I would go with larger tiles like 4/8 to give it a more streamlined look
    Rhonda HoosonさんはBrandi Nash Hicksさんにお礼を言いました
  • mrskain1
    8年前
    Not a fan of either. I think the color is off a bit. Cabinets are so beautiful. A beautiful backsplash will compliment the cabinets and countertop, so dont try to downplay the backsplash because you're afraid it will outshine the woodwork.
    Rhonda Hoosonさんはmrskain1さんにお礼を言いました
  • victorianbungalowranch
    8年前

I think the tiles you picked are too beige for the countertop. Check out the Colour Me Happy Blog for color undertone advice. Matching countertops to tile seems like a never ending problem on Houzz. At least you are comparing them properly--counter horizontal and wall tile vertical.

Beautiful cabinets though!

Rhonda Hoosonさんはvictorianbungalowranchさんにお礼を言いました
  • Rhonda Hooson
    質問の投稿者
    8年前

Thanks very much for all the helpful advice. Excellent points all around and I'm studying the Colour Me Happy Blog today and hope to get some much better backsplash selections. I'm open to any specific suggestions too. Thanks again!

• PRO
    Lisa Joy Designs, LLC
    8年前

You may wish to consider glass tiles? You can get in a neutral tone which will enhance the countertop without overwhelming it - give a beautiful texture with refracting light and will not detract from the cabinetry ... would be a lighter/airier look. Glass is available in several different "neutrals" - (and yes, varied colors as well). Also in different size and shape tiles. Consider looking at some of those options! Good luck

Rhonda HoosonさんはLisa Joy Designs, LLCさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Trans-Pacific Design
    8年前

I agree the color is a little off. However, it's really hard to tell color on a computer monitor photo. The glass tile idea is good for a clean contemporary look. Take a piece of your counter top with you to the glass tile store and maybe someone there can eyeball the correct color for you. Try a glass boulevard tile from the manufacturer: Island Stone, as an example of a larger mosaic that wouldn't conflict with the cabinets. Good Luck!

Rhonda HoosonさんはTrans-Pacific Designさんにお礼を言いました
  • mrskain1
    8年前
    Looking at the photo's again (I'm in love with the cabinets). And so I think since the backsplash area does not cover a lot of area, you could bring in colored tiles. I would also cover the entire area by the windows up to the ceiling. It would be beautiful.
  • Rhonda Hooson
    質問の投稿者
    8年前

Update: Thank you to everyone for your wonderful ideas and advice. I waited until the countertops were installed and then chose a glass tile from the new Tommy Bahama line from Lunada Bay tile. This is called Cocos Keeling:

The backsplash should hopefully be installed this week and I'll post a picture when it's done but here's the kitchen with the countertops installed:

And, I'm going back and forth in grout color between Laticrete silver shadow and marble beige but I'm leaning towards the marble beige to help tie in the warmth of the travertine floors and wood cabinets with the cool grays in the Taj Mahal quartzite and the backsplash. Any suggestions on that would definitely be appreciated.

• mrskain1
    8年前
    The tile looks amazing! I think the marble beige is a bit dark and I wonder if it will take away from the tile. The Siltstone #16 grout color option seems to be the same tone just slightly lighter. of course it's hard to tell on the computer screen and just trying it out will probably help steer you. Looking forward to seeing the tile up!
  • Rhonda Hooson
    質問の投稿者
    8年前

mrskain1 - you were right about the marble beige being a bit dark so I ordered the Silver Shadow #88 before getting your post, as it was on the manufacturer sample and seemed like a safe bet. The contractors haven't started on our backsplash yet and your Siltstone #16 suggestion seems like it would be better than the Silver Shadow to bring in some of the tone from the walls and floors. For a measly $35 and a trip to the tile store I could switch and get the Siltstone #16 grout instead before they start on the backsplash tomorrow morning. I'm really torn. Any thoughts?

• Rhonda Hooson
    質問の投稿者
    8年前

I'm going to get the Siltstone #16 grout also and do a sample board using each grout (Siltstone and Silver Shadow) in the space. Worth the extra few bucks to do it right. Thanks so much mrskain1 for your advice.

• mrskain1
    8年前
    Great plan. I think the sample boards are perfect and you'll know which direction to go. Another few dollars is well worth it. It's going to look great. :-)
  • mrskain1
    8年前
    PS I wondered what was on the sample tile ( for grout) on the website. I did like it.
  • PRO
    Novo Kitchen and Bath
    8年前

Hi Tropigurl,

For the backsplash above Taj Mahal color; You may want to check brushed finish travertine tiles (rectangular shape with brick style installation) and maybe, maybe having one accent border in contrast color on the backsplash would look good.

Good Luck,

Novo Design Team

Rhonda HoosonさんはNovo Kitchen and Bathさんにお礼を言いました
  • lisa0527
    8年前
    I have the same counters and I love, love, love them. Beautiful and bulletproof. No stains or etching after 5 years. Here are a couple of inspiration pics. The last is my kitchen...just plain white subway tiles.
    Rhonda Hoosonさんはlisa0527さんにお礼を言いました
  • lisa0527
    8年前
    Oops...noticed you've already bought tile. Yours will be gorgeous!
    Rhonda Hoosonさんはlisa0527さんにお礼を言いました
  • Rhonda Hooson
    質問の投稿者
    8年前

lisa0527 your kitchen is lovely! And great to know your Taj Mahal has held up so well after 5 years. They look brand new.

• PRO
    Cabinets 4U, Inc.
    8年前

Choosing a backsplash can be overwhelming! Here is
    a great article: A
    Backsplash Guide

Rhonda HoosonさんはCabinets 4U, Inc.さんにお礼を言いました
  • Rhonda Hooson
    質問の投稿者
    8年前
    最終更新:8年前

Update: Here's the backsplash installed and I'm loving this Tommy Bahama Coco's Keeling from Lunada Bay Tile! I think it compliments the Taj Mahal quartizite countertops without distracting from the mahogany cabinets. I really appreciate all the help and direction. Absolutely thrilled! Now I can't wait for my husband (who's the electrician) to install the lighting and switches. We're most likely going to use receptacles with a grey tone similar to the Silver Shadow grout so they blend into the backsplash (just for the kitchen of course). I see a new dilemma on the horizon - figuring out how one does under cabinet lighting for European style frameless cabinets. :) Thank you Houzers!!!

• Rhonda Hooson
    質問の投稿者
    5年前

Here's a photo of the finished kitchen.

• njay
    5年前
    Sometimes, less is more. Why not paint the backsplash rather than put up tile. You have lovely cabinets and counters. Let those two things shine.
  • njay
    5年前
    Post is four years old.
  • hopscotch65
    5年前

Hi I see this post is old but I do not know how to save the photo above to start a new question. Anyways I love the beehive tiling that bunnyllg posted in the photo above. Does anyone know where to get this or how I can ask bunnyllg? Thanks!