Houzz Logo Print
rose_stewart62

Can I reposition the bed?

I have a master that is 14x11. Right now we have the bed on one of the 11f walls. I would like to turn it the other way, so that we can fit larger ngithstand/dressers. My dilemma is that the window isn't centered on the wall. Any suggestions? **Please note the last 2 photos are from the listing before we bought, but show the layout better than I can get with my phone**

コメント (50)

• PRO
    Linda Merrill
    8年前

I'm not sure it makes sense to turn the bed given the window. You'll end up blocking the only window you have - especially with your headboard. However, it does look like you have room for more substantial side tables. You might need to move the outlets - perhaps behind the the tables - so you can run tables from bed to the wall. That looks like another 5-6" or so?

Rose StewartさんはLinda Merrillさんにお礼を言いました
  • Rose Stewart
    質問の投稿者
    8年前

The pictures didn't post in order. Unfortunately there isn't any more room on the sides. We have a king, the dark bed, with room on the side was a queen from the old owner.

• Rose Stewart
    質問の投稿者
    8年前

The headboard would only cover the bottom few inches of the window. Is that your concern? I was worried about trying to balance the room since the window isn't centered.

• PRO
    User
    8年前

I think your bed should stay where it is. You can always wall mount your lamps which will give you more space on your nightstands or use sconces hanging from the ceiling which is the latest trend. Balance is important for good feng shui.

• teamaltese
    8年前
    You can curtain the window wall with ceiling to floor gathered fabric, and put you bed against that. Keep a curtain tie on the right side of the window so you can gather material to open the window. Not the best solution, but it will give you what you want.
  • robin701
    8年前

Following along - I thought I was the only one with that off-center window :)

• Rose Stewart
    質問の投稿者
    8年前

Hmmm, yeah, not in love with a whole wall of fabric. Ugh, I love this house for the most part, but nothing about it is symmetrical!!!

• Rose Stewart
    質問の投稿者
    8年前

Anyone else have any ideas on helping to make the room look a bit more symmetrical?

• acm
    8年前

The only way you could get on that other wall would be to push the bed into the corner, away from both the window and the doors there. Ok if you can come up with some form of reading lights mounted over the bed, but probably otherwise no good.

Have you considered going back to a queen bed? It would give you more room in each dimension, after which I think you could fit a dresser just fine. Otherwise, maybe a narrow chest of drawers between those two doors (closet and bath, I presume). And/or get rid of the chair and put a dresser under the window. Nothing you can do about nightstands except in terms of a few inches. That's just a massive bed for the space -- its original inhabitants probably slept in a double bed!!

• Rose Stewart
    質問の投稿者
    8年前

If I got a queen I would also need a divorce ;)

• jaynekc
    8年前
    Is it possible to position your bed on an angle in the corner to the left or right of window?
  • er612
    8年前

Have you tried not centering the bed on the window wall?

• Rose Stewart
    質問の投稿者
    8年前

I haven't tried anything yet. Do you think that could work? Then still put something in the corner?

• er612
    8年前

What corner? Under the window?

• Rose Stewart
    質問の投稿者
    8年前

Yes, beside the window. There will be a lot of room there even with larger side tables.

• acm
    8年前

You'll have a lot more options if you stop prioritizing symmetry, for sure.

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    8年前

Would you consider putting the bed on a diagonal with the headboard centered on the corner. That might not be possible with the side of the bed but you could try it. There would be a significant triangle of empty triangle behind the headboard but that could be filled with a decorative folding screen. Just throwing that out there without knowing too many specifics.

• Rose Stewart
    質問の投稿者
    8年前

This is it moved over. I love the feel of the space with the bed this way, but will def have to figure out something over top of the bed and wall on the other side. Hmmm

• PRO
    Restoring Muskogee
    8年前
    Change the window !
  • PRO
    Colleyville Interior Design
    8年前

I would probably loose the nightstand on the right, replace it with a floor lamp or a ceiling hanging light and move the bed to the right some.

• Rose Stewart
    質問の投稿者
    8年前

@Colleyville, so covering more of the window then?

• Barbara Almandarz
    8年前

Is there enough room to place your bed facing the window? The trick to making that large wall (with window) is balancing what's placed on it. You need to consider the window needs a large piece to the left to fill the wall and balance with the window. A tall dresser to the left of the window, add a bench beneath the window. The bed facing the window and a little seating area on the 11ft wall where your bed is now.

• Rose Stewart
    質問の投稿者
    8年前

No room for the bed on the other wall unfortunately. The door to get in the room is there. Not centered, there is around 5ft on one side of the door, and maybe 7 or so on the other.

• Rose Stewart
    質問の投稿者
    8年前

The second photo is pretty similar to what I am working with I think.

• outshopping422
    8年前

Would adding a second window to that wall be in the budget? Then it would be symmetrical :)

• Rose Stewart
    質問の投稿者
    8年前

Eventually that will have to happen if we stay int he house. But not in the budget right now unfortunately...

• Irene Morresey
    8年前
    I think the second pic will work, hang perhaps just one curtain on right hand side with tieback. Put bedside cabinet under window and perhaps a small chair beside it, if room. I think we all get a bit too hung up on symmetrical, it can work, just needs the right placement of furniture, worth a try
    Rose StewartさんはIrene Morreseyさんにお礼を言いました
  • Rose Stewart
    質問の投稿者
    8年前

Thanks, did you see the photo I posted of the room with the bed moved? Its higher up now in the thread.

• er612
    8年前

Can you post another pic with the table lamp off?

• Irene Morresey
    8年前
    Yes saw your picture, perhaps a large mirror like in my second pic, or three pictures hang in a row
  • Irene Morresey
    8年前
    Did you try it on an angle like my pic in comments or is room not big enough, that looks good too
  • Rose Stewart
    質問の投稿者
    8年前

Ill snap another photo without the lamp ononce its lighter out :) Not enough room to fit on an angle really, unfortunately.

• Susan Davis
    8年前
    最終更新:8年前

I think this is a design problem that needs to be embraced and do the best you can in the situation and treat as 'It is what it is.'

I pulled up a lot of pictures of your problem so that you would not feel that you are alone with this problem. You have a lot of company.

Fake window in the middle to make it symmetrical.

Venice 4 · 詳細

Off center sheers with pictures and end table and pretty paint as a focal point

Park Hill House · 詳細

Eye catching wall paper to distract from one window. You could also paint the wall a vivid color.

Master Suite Renovation and Redesign · 詳細

Sheers in a pretty color and a dynamic mirror as a focal point

Contemporary Bedroom · 詳細

Wall to wall sheers all over the room with again dramatic art work and lamps height of headboard.

Wonder View · 詳細

Dramatic roman shade and stripes on ceiling aka fake beams

Porthleven · 詳細

Sheers with focal point mirror.

Fox Point Mid Century/Traditional · 詳細

Pretty room with small night stands focal pictures over the bed and complete window treatment of wood blinds and curtain panels floor to ceiling. This is such a doable treatment.

Master Bedroom · 詳細

These pictures do not solve the problem they give you some options to treat the problem. I also think Houzzers above have some really great ideas!

Rose StewartさんはSusan Davisさんにお礼を言いました
  • Rose Stewart
    質問の投稿者
    8年前

As requested, heres the room without the light. I also moved the chair over-

• Rose Stewart
    質問の投稿者
    8年前

• Rose Stewart
    質問の投稿者
    8年前

• outshopping422
    8年前

Oh wow it's looking good! Can the curtains behind headboard go more to the right...so it's a a little less fabric behind headboard? (Right to the edge of window)

• Rose Stewart
    質問の投稿者
    8年前

Yes! I was just looking at that too, I am going to see if they can slide over a bit more, don't have much room though. I will report back :)

• Rose Stewart
    質問の投稿者
    8年前

that's all I've got

• outshopping422
    8年前

Yes...That looks better :) how do you like it? Do you have a picture or sunburst mirror to hang on the wall over the bed?

• Rose Stewart
    質問の投稿者
    8年前

It's growing on me. I love the feel of the room, as it doesn't seem like as much of a hallway now. I am going to have to shop for a new mirror for the spot. I have one about my living room fireplace, but I like it there, lol.

• outshopping422
    8年前

Similar to blenheimnewzealand's second photo

• Rose Stewart
    質問の投稿者
    8年前

Yes! I just need to warm it up now :)

• outshopping422
    8年前

Your room looks so pretty! happy shopping :)

• Rose Stewart
    質問の投稿者
    8年前

Thanks!!!

• Susan Davis
    8年前

Beautiful! Refer to pics above for art/wall hanging options!

Also think about hemming your curtains so they almost touch the carpet and add curtin weights to the hems so they hang straight down. You really want them to not be able to get caught on anything and disrupt their straightness. Pull bed etc away from wall so they fall free; if they puddle they will not be able to hang straight.

You have so many strong straight lines in the room, that I think you might consider round art above the bed in an assymetrical arrangement and or a pair of round or curved small benches at the foot of the bed in an accent color or a fun fur!

Assymetrical elements over the console/desk.

Grant Street West Model Home · 詳細

Round mirror very large!

Bimini Townes · 詳細

Square pics but using very strong round elements give a soft effect.

Contemporary Condo Staging · 詳細

Rose StewartさんはSusan Davisさんにお礼を言いました
  • Rose Stewart
    質問の投稿者
    8年前

Great tips, thanks!

• Rose Stewart
    質問の投稿者
    8年前

Should the art still be centered over the bed? I'm thinking yes, but wasn't 100% sure.

• Rose Stewart
    質問の投稿者
    8年前

I don't think there is quite enough room for a bench at the end of the bed if I still want to be able to get over to that side (my side) of the bed easily...