Houzz Logo Print
iloverelaxbear

Living room furniture advice

Hello lovely people,

We've just started furnishing our new small living room. We have purchased a couch so far, we really wanted white bookshelves to brighten up the place but these are hand me downs from a coworker who is relocating so they will do for now (do they match the living room colors??) .

Our living room is generally dark without much natural sunlight as the enclosed porch blocks out the sunlight. The row of windows is due west and the one window is due north.

Should I get a chaise to put along the bookshelves? Should we move the current sofa in front of the bookshelves? Currently the sofa faces a fireplace with openings to the kitchen and dining room on either side of it, so we can't put anything there.

What other pieces of furniture/decor/lighting should I buy? And in what color?

Thanks so much in advance for all your advice!

コメント (36)

• Stefanie Fang
    質問の投稿者
    8年前
    P.s. - our fireplace isn't anything amazing so I wouldn't mind if it wasn't the focal point!
  • Brandi Nash Hicks
    8年前
    We need pictures from all areas ,from the bookcase end facing opposite direction too, I think a furniture lay out is in order
  • Brandi Nash Hicks
    8年前
    I'm thinking if you can float the sofa in the room with the front facing the book case it would be a better lay out...then you could use two slipper chairs in front of book case opposite sofa with a round glass top coffee table in between
  • Brandi Nash Hicks
    8年前
    Adding a table behind the sofa at that point
  • suezbell
    8年前
    最終更新:8年前

Are you calling the large cabinet with glass doors to the right of your sofa bookshelves?

If so, that's a part of the problem. (Please don't paint that cabinet.) Instead of filling up this beautiful cabinet with books, opt instead to make it a "stuff" cabinet -- more like a curio cabinet but without feeling you need to "arrange" the stuff in it to be displayed. You display what is at the front of the shelf near the glass and you stuff your stuff behind it as it will fit -- stuff like trophies or mementos from trips or events or nick knacks or even candy dishes and candle holders and pretty vases you're not currently using for their intended purposes -- bright cheerful stuff your family values but you don't want to be the focus of the room or to need to dust regularly.

Add a few small battery powered wireless closet lights (and mirrors, some in the upper shelves sticky taped to the back wall of the cabinet and others more at eye level lying flat on the shelves to reflect light ) and turn some of the lights on when the room is feeling especially dark and/or you want to highlight some specific treasure -- the pumpkin shaped candy dish in October, the turkey S&P set in November, the ceramic tree or clear glass tree candy dish in December, the snowman jar in January....

Also, you shouldn't add any more large pieces of furniture to the small room -- no lounge or loveseat. Opt instead for "lady" sized chairs -- recliners or wing backs. Keep the colors light. Use curtain rods that are wider than the windows so when your curtains or drapes are open, almost all of each window is visible.

Floor lamps with dual lights -- one light that aims up and another with a goose neck adjustable for reading -- would help you light the room without needing end tables to take up your limited space. Choose the tall ones -- at least a pair, perhaps as many as four (one for each "corner" of the room -- that could be placed behind the sofa if needed. The lamps can be black or brass but the shades need to be white. Once you decide where you want to keep the floor lamps, you could even get the octagon shaped mirrors intended as a stand for large candles and stick them to the ceiling above the lamps to increase the reflected light in the room.

Sun catchers on the windows will also brighten up your room a bit.

A square ottoman that doubles for storage and has a lid that flips to a solid surface usable as a coffee table would be a good choice and add an additional seat if needed.

Stefanie Fangさんはsuezbellさんにお礼を言いました
  • Lila
    8年前

I think the cabinets look fine with your new sofa. I wouldn't paint them and I wouldn't overfill them. You can search for some colorful items but also use a lot of white pieces. I think woven shades (bottom up) would add texture to your windows without hiding your beautiful trim. I don't know your budget but IKEA has some really nice wicker side chairs.

Stefanie FangさんはLilaさんにお礼を言いました
  • Stefanie Fang
    質問の投稿者
    8年前
    Wow. Thank you everyone so much for the very generous advice thus far! Yes, the bookshelves I am referring to are the brown cabinets with glass doors.

They are actually the IKEA Billy bookcase.
    I do have lots of books and it is the only storage solution I have for them, so yes they will be filled with books.

There will be four overhanging bookcase accent lights above the bookcase that will illuminate the front of bookcase.

We will be getting central AC next year so we probably won't need the window unit.

I will post photos from all angles ASAP!

Thanks so much everyone!!
  • Stefanie Fang
    質問の投稿者
    8年前
    Here are additional photos of our living room! The sofa currently faces the fireplace. On both sides of fireplace are openings to dining room and kitchen. The large black door is the front door to house.

As I mentioned the bay windows are due west and the enclosed porch block out most of our sunlight!

The brown bookcase with glass doors will be filled with books and four overhanging accent lights.

We will not have a TV in the living room.

Looking for ways to arrange furniture, what furniture to buy, how to arrange, etc, thank you much!
  • susan2494
    8年前

Don't have measurements, so just a guess...floor arrangement, let me know what works and what doesn't.

I see you have yellow pillows, add chair and rug for add'l color.

Stefanie Fangさんはsusan2494さんにお礼を言いました
  • susan2494
    8年前

• jansgirl
    8年前

Love Susan"s suggestions for furniture placement, etc. Your fireplace isn't horrible at all. A great piece of art or a large starburst mirror is in order. I wouldn't cover the windows w/ drapes. If privacy is an issue, dress the bottom half inside the casings. The bookcase is a black hole in the room and I wouldn't suggest the lighting or any other money spent to make it "work". Replace it with a WHITE Billy bookcase (or the Liatorp @ less than $350)

if nothing else. Your house has so much charm and it won't take much to make it bring that out. Keep it simple!

Stefanie Fangさんはjansgirlさんにお礼を言いました
  • Stefanie Fang
    質問の投稿者
    8年前
    Thank you so much! The rug is beautiful! The floor plan is very helpful! So far I like the floor plan that Susan suggested, as well as the layout with the couch facing the bookshelves, as well as the white Liatorp IKEA suggestion! You are all so lovely, thanks again. Anyone else?
  • marycifuentes
    8年前

Consider painting the cabinet to match the door. Don't fill the cabinet with stuff, fill it with what you need! This is a lovely room, with much potential.

Stefanie Fangさんはmarycifuentesさんにお礼を言いました
  • decoenthusiaste
    8年前

What kind of wall space is in the room behind the fireplace wall? I'm thinking the bookcase might not be so jammed in next door.

• susan2494
    8年前

1st 2 chairs and rug are from Pier 1.

• Brandi Nash Hicks
    8年前
    If you keep the sofa in that spot I would move it forward a bit and put a slim table behind it with lamps
    Stefanie FangさんはBrandi Nash Hicksさんにお礼を言いました
  • izeve
    8年前

It's a very pretty room and the fireplace looks original to the house. I think it's very nice, so don't neglect it when you decorate.

Do you have room anywhere else in the house for the bookcases? I would try to keep one in the living room (centered in the space between the windows) and move the other one somewhere else. Two of them look very squished in that space. That would also give you a bit of extra room for an accent chair. I really like the first one that Susan 2494 suggested.

Stefanie Fangさんはizeveさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Ellen Kryger Interiors
    8年前
    The book shelves do not work in this room. The space looks off balance and reflects a heavy feeling because of its size and location. You have to be careful when decorating small, dark spaces. You are lucky to have the walk in bay windows and the north facing window. Keep it light airy and open. I would look for an open console table and artwork or mirror to replace the book shelf. If you have enough room maybe a tufted or pattern chair with an ottoman and a floor lamp for the opposite corner. I would consider adding more white some navy or light blue and yellow as a color scheme. Good luck, it's a lovely room.
    Stefanie FangさんはEllen Kryger Interiorsさんにお礼を言いました
  • Stefanie Fang
    質問の投稿者
    8年前
    I see a lot of comments against putting the book shelves there due to the heaviness...however I have many books and this is the only location we can put the bookshelves..I also don't want to separate them...

Would anyone be kind enough and have the skills to post a photo of them photoshopped in a white color?

I would be so grateful, everyone has been so lovely so far!!
  • susan2494
    8年前

• susan2494
    8年前

In light gray

• decoenthusiaste
    8年前

The bookcases are only going to look heavier when loaded with books. I'd be thinking of converting a bedroom into a library and reading room.

Stefanie Fangさんはdecoenthusiasteさんにお礼を言いました
  • susan2494
    8年前

Paint your bookcases and load with all your wonderful books. There is not a TV in this room, so enjoy your family, guests and your books. Design is not just looks, but functionality and actually living in your space.

• Stefanie Fang
    質問の投稿者
    8年前

Thank you so much Susan for posting the photos of the white and gray book cases! You guys are great! Keep the ideas coming!

• susan2494
    8年前

Put this together for you. Not perfect, but gives you a visual.

• susan2494
    8年前

• Lila
    8年前

If you're not planning on replacing the bookcases why not wallpaper or paint the backs of them in a light colour to lessen the dark effect of them in your room. I love Susan's suggestions for seating. I believe the top two are from Pier One so should be priced well.

• Stefanie Fang
    質問の投稿者
    8年前
    Wow! I can definitely see the difference now with the pop of color! I probably should have removed the yellow pillows for this post (my mom just put them there. They keep bringing us more furniture in a kind effort to help us "save money" lol but we don't know how to refuse haha).

I am not obsessed with yellow or anything, but no matter, the photos really give me an idea of how to tie things together with any color! Thanks again! Bookcase is now filled with books, will post another pic tonight!
  • susan2494
    8年前

• susan2494
    8年前

• Lila
    8年前

Too funny Stefanie....I do the same thing with my son....I guess it's a Mom thing.

I think Susan has nailed it!

• PRO
    Laura of Pembroke
    8年前

Hi! I think an accent chair (rather than a chaise) and round ottoman that would work with both the sofa and the chair. It's always nice to work with handmedowns, which allows you to put your budget towards other areas. I would suggest painting the piece ivory. annie sloan paints work great without having to sand. Another idea to lighten up the book case is to take ivory craft paper and cover old books to create rows of light colored books. We also sell some great books for display purposes. http://www.lauraofpembroke.com/products/copy-of-metallic-silver-book?variant=5236087236

best of luck!

• PRO
    Heritage Home Rugs
    8年前

I love your hardwood, go with lighter colors to bring some light into the room.

Here are some area rug suggestions:

Rio Collection

• Stefanie Fang
    質問の投稿者
    8年前
    One more question...

Is it possible to paint the book shelves without removing them?

My father actually cut the right side of the bookshelf so it would slip in by the window ledge on the right...he'd have a big headache if we wanted to remove everything again...thanks much lovely ones!!
  • susan2494
    8年前

I can't see why not. Just take a little more time. Take all the books out first :>)