Houzz Logo Print
jeannethebeanie

Decor/ accessories help

Hi. I've been working on my living room, and now need help finishing it. I just hung the curtains today so they are wrinkly, and will have sheers under them this week sometime.
Photo one: what can I place on the left end table, do I need a lamp as large as the one on the right? Anything else I should put there? And can I just leave the coffee table bare? This is the first room people coming in the house see. Also, from my previous post, I worked on pillows but feel confident I got it right
Photo 2 and 3: really need help with this corner, don't know what to put on walls or on top of our old entertainment center (it's used for our printer and storage). Also should I get a better chair for this area? I could use some light in this corner as there isn't a ceiling light.
Last wall, need decor for on top of desk and weather I should keep this desk lamp...my husband does use this area to do bills etc.
thank you for your time!

コメント (57)

• jeannethebeanie
    質問の投稿者
    8年前
    Oops I see already I faced it the wrong way, but you're right, it makes more sense and he'll be more likely to put t away if it's closer. I could also put that chair in next room.
  • Nancy Ingram
    8年前
    I'd get rid of the entertainment center and put the desk there with the art that is over the sofa currently. Update desk lamp. See pic. Leave the chair where it is and put a plant next to it. I'd move the console table to the wall by the front door with the girls pictures stacked on top of the other one. Put the end table where to desk was. Put landscape artwork over sofa.
  • groveraxle
    8年前

I would probably rework the corner with the entertainment center and the desk, but I'd do something like this with two chairs in the seating area:

• jeannethebeanie
    質問の投稿者
    8年前
    I have thought of getting rid of the entertainment center ( there's so much stuff in there, photos electronics , stereo ). It's such a Big corner though, I feel the desk would be too small. I do have a piano in the adjoining room I could put there and put the desk in its place? But I did just buy the art for over the piano to match the blue in that rooms chairs. Well here's a pic of the piano. Also if I got rid of the entertainment center, I could have more seating?
  • groveraxle
    8年前

Any chance of losing the desk and repurposing the entertainment center to serve as a desk? A roll-out shelf behind the doors could hold a laptop or keyboard, or be used for writing checks (if people still do that), and shelves or cubbies added inside for envelopes, stamps, everything you now have in the secretary desk.

• Elle
    8年前

If the piano fits where the entertainment center is currently, it would look good there.

• jeannethebeanie
    質問の投稿者
    8年前
    Oops the piano picture. Yes we could get rid of either the desk or entertainment center. I am realizing now, looking thru the desk's drawers that there's nothing in the. Except stuff I didn't know where else to put, so could organize that better
  • jeannethebeanie
    質問の投稿者
    8年前
    Here's an old I picture when I used to have the piano in the living room.
  • groveraxle
    8年前

• jeannethebeanie
    質問の投稿者
    8年前
    Is there enough space...I put these chairs just to see.
  • Vicki B
    8年前

jeannethebeanie, what do you use the current piano room for? What joins it that is out of our view ... like the kitchen, dining room, etc.?

• jeannethebeanie
    質問の投稿者
    8年前
    Vicky, here is a very rough layout of the house. We,ve been here 19 years and I always had the rooms for whatever the kids needed at the time, but now I painted the woodwork and the walls and am trying to just make things "nice". I'm calling the room with the piano my reading room. We don't use the piano. But it's my moms so it will need to stay in one of these two rooms. Also, when I reread my opening statement, I meant to write that I DIDNT think I did well with my pillow choosing!
  • jeannethebeanie
    質問の投稿者
    8年前
    Now that I really look at both rooms together, the desk and piano are kind of side by side, even thought there's a little wall between them. The first picture is from the kitchen, second from the living room.
  • Vicki B
    8年前

Are the chairs in the reading room identical? If they are not, could one of them move into the LR?

(FYI, I sound as if I have some great, grand plan. I don't! In fact, I need to pull away and work on some music for our church service tomorrow; but I would love to spend some time thinking about your home and, hopefully, might have a helpful option or two. You're actually in really good hands with groveraxle!)

I do have two thoughts that I will go ahead and throw out:

(1) I believe that your entertainment center is the least attractive piece you have in this space. If its only purpose is storage, you may choose to move it away -- either totally away or, possibly, into the "reading room." (If you choose to keep it in the LR, it would help to de-clutter the shelves with the glass doors, treating that area more as a curio cabinet. You might display some colorful, glass vases or figurines of sentimental value, )

(2) Though I love the picture, I believe your loveseat would be better served with a horizontal piece of art above it. (It needs to be about 2/3 as wide as the loveseat and should be hung 5-6 inches above it.) Your flying birds picture may be the appropriate size, but it will make the room very monochromatic. I hate for you to give up the color of the current art piece! :)

• jeannethebeanie
    質問の投稿者
    8年前
    Yes, the reading room chairs are identical and just bought them last summer for that room ( I wanted a room for peace and quiet for myself, but everyone uses that room for reading lol). After reading the comments, I think I will get rid of the entertainment center. I have to get my courage up to go thru those drawers and shelves, and figure out where to put the printer. It will be a big job lol.
  • indomom
    8年前

It will be a big job, but I think you will be exponentially happy with the results!

• groveraxle
    8年前

If you put the desk on the stair wall, do an art grouping on the wall where the entertainment center was, you'll have plenty of room for at least one chair, probably two.

I agree with Vicki that a landscape format picture over the loveseat would work better.

• jeannethebeanie
    質問の投稿者
    8年前
    Well I cleaned out the entertainment center, and advertised to sell it, but now I'm getting worried about what I'll do when it's gone. Will I put 2 chairs facing the couch and window? And move the desk to the corner? And does anyone have an idea of the type of chair I would look for.....they would need to be under $200 each I think.
  • sandradclark
    8年前
    最終更新:8年前

I think you had another thread on here where I suggested clearing off the top of the entertainment center. On this thread you had it cleared off & now you have it up for sale. Be careful as we might just clear out the whole house. Just kidding!!!! You are progressing in the right direction. I do think smaller pillows will look better on the sofas, since you brought them up.

Denise Austin Home Chicago Pepper Colored Club Chair, Tan · 詳細

• sandradclark
    8年前

Two of these will be about $500.00. Maybe just the two you have will work, huh?

• sandradclark
    8年前

Or these two:

GDF Studio Violetta French Design Dining Chair, Set of 2, Black · 詳細

• sandradclark
    8年前

Sorry, I may never leave your room.

• jeannethebeanie
    質問の投稿者
    8年前
    I like all of those chairs! Do you think it would look good to have the chairs facing the window? It's not a square room and I worry it will still be awkward looking.
    As for pillows, the ones I bought are the yellow accent pillows. The dark green "pillows" on the back of the couch are actually the back of the couch if that makes sense!
  • groveraxle
    8年前

I believe when you get rid of the entertainment center, there will be space for two chairs. There is definitely space enough for one. Please don't entertain the thought of slipper (armless) chairs, and I probably wouldn't do wood ones either. Something like Sandra's Mariana Fabric Club Chair--smallish and comfy--would be good.

• Susan Davis
    8年前

This has been such a fun post to read. I love how the room has evolved for you! Looks great so far. Keep it up.

• groveraxle
    8年前

You might even add a spot of color. Both these chairs are from Target.

• jeannethebeanie
    質問の投稿者
    8年前
    I really like that second chair...gray with birds? We have a target here, I can go exploring tomorrow!
  • jeannethebeanie
    質問の投稿者
    8年前
    Oh I just remembered there was a chair that went with this sofa set, it's really bulky though. Here's a picture
  • groveraxle
    8年前

That chair looks super comfy, but your room would benefit from chairs with legs to offset the solidity of the sofas.

• jeannethebeanie
    質問の投稿者
    8年前
    Sandradclark and groveraxle, Both Sandra's chair and the bird chairs are sold out! I was too late. Here are some that target has though, would these be right?
  • groveraxle
    8年前

Jeanne, those chairs are a little meh. Keep looking; it'll turn up. Do you have a Home Goods? You have to haunt them, and when you see it, you have to get it then because if you turn around, it'll be gone. But returns are easy if it doesn't work.

Look for something with a bit of pizzazz.

• jeannethebeanie
    質問の投稿者
    8年前
    Ok thank you. This has been really helpful!
  • jeannethebeanie
    質問の投稿者
    8年前
    When I find my chair should I buy two?
  • groveraxle
    8年前

If the entertainment center is definitely going, yes, buy two.

• jeannethebeanie
    質問の投稿者
    8年前
    Well! Now those bird chairs ARE available at target online as a clearance. Grover so you really think they would look good? Photo one is that chair, and photo two is the chair in the adjoining room, which would be viewed at the same time from either room. Would the bird chair still go?
  • jeannethebeanie
    質問の投稿者
    8年前
    Here is a chair in my budget. It's not colorful but I could put a lumbar pillow on it. It is 31" high, and 24 inches wide and deep. Kind of small? I would have to order it though, so want to be sure.
  • groveraxle
    8年前

The white chair is OK, but a jazzy lumbar pillow would probably spice it up just enough. Do you have any chairs about the same size you could test in the room? Or take some painter's tape and tape the outline on the floor to see if they look too small.

Another option: go back to Target and get the off white chair to try. If the size is good, add a pillow with pizzazz. If not, you can return it. Returns at Target are super easy.

• jeannethebeanie
    質問の投稿者
    8年前
    The chairs arrived, and I like them except they are a lot darker than I thought they would be. But I think I'll keep them. Is this where I should place them?
    The computer center is gone, and I moved the desk to the other wall. I also found a pillow I liked much better for the couch, so now.....I will need a good pillows for the new chairs ( not the ones I put on them now) and what to do with the corner by the stairs? I put a picture I already had kind of above the desk to see if it would look ok. And I still have four of those graduation photos to put somewhere.
    Any advice would be so appreciated! My daughter just got engaged and I'd like to have his parents over soon, but need to finish this first
  • Boomers775
    8年前
    I would centre the desk on that wall and place a mirror over top. The adjacent wall would look nice with a collage of pictures. Maybe you could work the grad pictures into the mix
  • decoenthusiaste
    8年前

I would prefer the piano in the living room and the desk in the reading room, along with a nice bookcase. The two new chairs could snub in a the stairwell wall with a table and lamp plus the lumbar pillows. I think new pillows all the way around

• jeannethebeanie
    質問の投稿者
    8年前
    This the new pillows I got for the couch, what would you suggest for the lumbar pillow plus another pillow for couch? I really have trouble with pillow selection
  • groveraxle
    8年前

Get those chairs out of the corners. Pull them up to here:

Put your desk chair in front of the desk. Plan on making a gallery wall where the entertainment center used to be.

• groveraxle
    8年前

You did great choosing that pillow. Here are three more, all from Target.

Avalon Pillow : Target · 詳細

Threshold™ Oversized Lumbar Throw Pillow Stripe : Target · 詳細

Room Essentials™ Decorative Stitch Lumbar Pillow... : Target · 詳細

• jeannethebeanie
    質問の投稿者
    8年前
    Thank you for the pillow advice! That's so helpful. I also saw this one online but it's an outdoor pillow, but would it still work for the chairs or is it too much
  • groveraxle
    8年前

Those would be OK on the chairs. I would make the rest of my pillows solid or very close to solid, then.

• jeannethebeanie
    質問の投稿者
    8年前
    Hi. My progress is so slow, I hope you all will still help me! For the staircase wall, I centered the desk and moved the new accent chairs out of the corners. Then I put some pictures up, and for above the desk, here's two different looks I could come up with. I got confused when I shopped for a mirror for above the desk and didn't end up getting one.
    The pillows should arrive tomorrow then I will post those also.
  • jeannethebeanie
    質問の投稿者
    8年前
    The pillows arrived today, as seen in the first picture. The striped one is really long, don't know if it will work. Which pillow do you like on the chairs? And can I just do two pillows in the corner of the couches?
  • PRO
    Johanne Gagnon Design
    8年前
    The room need a decorative carpet for sûre
  • jeannethebeanie
    質問の投稿者
    8年前
    Now I'm really confused.