Houzz Logo Print
imaseeker

Paint trim? If so, fireplace too?

imaseeker
8年前
Moved into our new home a few months ago. It was built in 1988 and has wood trim (dentil moulding at the ceiling) and paneling in the living room. Most of the rest of the house has already had the trim painted white. At first I was CERTAIN I wanted to paint this white also, but now I'm not as sure. Is it growing on me or am I just becoming accustomed to it? Need fresh eyes on this please. I'm just afraid of it being too bland with all white trim. Is the wood floor and my cognac leather armchairs enough to pull the warm colors out in the painting above my couch?

コメント (21)

• imaseeker
    質問の投稿者
    8年前
    I'm also open to any decor suggestions. Haven't really tried much yet in this room so open to all ideas. Thanks in advance!
  • susan2494
    8年前

The room looks nice, I would leave as is. You might want to pull the 2 chairs in closer to sofa on rug. Or try them across from sofa in bay window but closer to sofa. If you don't use the fan much I would trade it out for a nice chandelier.

• imaseeker
    質問の投稿者
    8年前
    Thanks Susan2494! Appreciate your input.
  • imaseeker
    質問の投稿者
    8年前
    I think I may have figured out what I want to do on the trim. I'm thinking of painting everything white EXCEPT the fireplace surround and the door leading out to the porch (behind the arm chairs). After looking at some pics here on Houzz, that may be the perfect balance. I will post the pics that inspired this for me: http://houzz.com/photos/13393602
  • imaseeker
    質問の投稿者
    8年前
    And here's the other picture, showing white trim with stained doors: http://houzz.com/photos/505017
  • jhmarie
    8年前

I have white trim, but wood cabinets and doors - like second photo. However, my trim is inexpensive pine. I would give this some more time and see how you feel as you mentioned it is growing on you. It is rather nice woodwork from the photo and does not over power the room - has more of a craftsman style look. If the rest of the house has a lot of white, this might be the more warm and cozy room.

• blueocean66
    8年前

I agree. I usually go for painting wood to get rid of a "tree house" feeling, but the wood in your room is beautiful and lends a lot of warmth to the room. Keep it as is!!

• Dee Pee-do
    8年前

I like your inpiration pictures. They look airy, fresh, and spacious. Right now the room looks dark and closed in. The dark paneling and the dark furniture are too much. I would agree on bringing the chairs closer to the sofa.

• PRO
    Remax Distinctive - Jeff Pearl Homes
    8年前

I would consider other colors besides white. I don't like the wood stained colored crown mold, I would consider just removing it instead of painting it. I would also consider leaving the base and chair rail molding as is, but paint the wood in between another color, but not white. If you do go with white, I think a soft / warm white would look better than a bright white. Just my tastes.

• c10901
    8年前

I would paint just the crown moulding a lighter color; perhaps the color of the walls and ceiling but leave the other wood dark - at least for a start. To me, the crown moulding is out of balance with the other dark wood.

• imaseeker
    質問の投稿者
    8年前
    Yes I think the reason I'm torn is because the wood itself is beautiful. It's just that it feels like there is too much of it right now and the room feel closed in and unbalanced. I think the answer lies in moderation...painting some, leaving some. I feel like the view out the windows is spectacular and right now the white replacement windows alongside the wood trim just isn't allowing the view to be the focal point. Thank you all so much for your input, it's been very helpful!
  • Brenda Means Miller
    8年前

I like the wood as is. I think it brings in a warm element to the room.

• PRO
    Ellsworth Design Build
    8年前
    I agree with pootchie. Painting the trim will unify the windows. Try leaving the door and fireplace wood, though I would paint them too.
  • jck910
    8年前

I think the dentil molding at the ceiling is too skinny for the room. Removing it may help the look. The rest of wood trim is very wide and looks beautiful. Unfortunately the white windows throw the look off also. If you do decide to paint leave FP natural. Beautiful room.

• PRO
    DJAG DESIGN - Custom Design Studio
    8年前
    最終更新:8年前

The wood is panel wainscot, trim, window and fireplace surrounds are well done; do-not-paint. I also like the top image with the two wing-back chairs and framed art pieces on the wall behind them for your 'inspiration image' and the 'look' you want to carry throughout the room (not necessarily the entire house). First, think about adding that same type of grouped framed artwork arrangement on the wall on each side of the fireplace. Second, relocate the plant and tall cast metal sculptures and box from the mantle and replace with three smaller hand worked metal boxes similar to the one on the right (tip: three is the number) and possibly mount the flat screen TV on the wall above the fp. Third, replace the accent pieces and invest in more custom pieces i.e. accent pillows and throw, and LIGHTING, custom light fixtures and wall mounted sconces go a LONG way (tip: good lighting (design) will make most anything look better, conversely, bad lighting (design) will make the best look like it's the worst. Additional thought: I would also consider rearranging the furniture a bit by centering the chairs on the window wall with a new small card table in between, replacing the round coffee table with two custom square tables (or one rectangular). Final suggestion: replace the (very dated) brassy fp screen with newfound custom wrought iron decorative screen and matching andiron set.

• Deb Shellenbarger
    8年前

But isn't it nice to have a room with a warm cozy feeling; the wood is pretty, why cover it up. I could see the walls being a bit darker, and maybe paint dentil molding, but that's all.

• hettlin
    8年前
    Painting wood is sacrilege.
  • Tanya Krall
    8年前
    I would paint all the wood white including the fireplace. You have enough warmth in the flooring and furnishings and it would brighten up the space.
  • Leigh Ann Hughbanks Koksal
    8年前

Paint everything white you will not regret it.

• Scott Booth
    8年前

I would not paint any of the trim. You need to update the fireplace screen. I would get a new ceiling fan with wood that compliments the trim. Your room is beautiful but feels cold because of the neutral colors in the room. Bold pillows for starts... If in the budget, replace that rug... Jewel tones with the light background would brighten the room. You need more lamps... I also agree wall sconces would work with your room style. How about a new frame for that nice painting over the couch? A bigger coffee table with glass top to let the rug shine and take some of the wood feel out... You also need window treatments... Roller shade , sheer panels hung as close to ceiling or a bold patterned drapery... The trim and wainscoting is not the problem it is the lack of pattern... I would not change the furniture just the pillows. Get the furniture away from the walls...