Houzz Logo Print
mellanda_reese

what is wrong with my dining room??!?

I cannot put my finger on why I am so unhappy with this dining room. Can someone give me some advice? I am almost convinced I need a new wall color. The top is Benjamin moore stone hearth and the bottom is BM stone. What colors will work well with what I have going on? Wallpaper? Remove something? Add something? I have no idea and can't see it. Any help is appreciated. The whole house is in BM stone hearth so need to make sure it's flowing. Thanks

コメント (76)

• Mellanda Reese
    質問の投稿者
    8年前
    Okay so paint shopping today. Thought some color would help. Maybe??? Lol. Any thoughts. Keep in mind the other parts of the house is the Benjamin moore stone hearth color (taupe). I'm two second from hiring an interior designer. My favorite is #4 on the right side of the picture. Actually my favorite is the really dark one but I know that's a no-no.
  • sootsprite
    8年前
    This is not quite as dark as your darkest sample. Makes a stunning room with black and gray!

http://houzz.com/photos/10263485
  • Cocoeyes Daley
    8年前
    Beautiful dining room. But the table is to big. It is not open enough. The energy cannot flow through the room. A smaller table with four chairs. Then leave to chairs as accents on the side
  • User
    8年前
    If you moved the console table, could the table be rotated the other way. I can't see the size of the whole room.
  • Mellanda Reese
    質問の投稿者
    8年前
    Please excuse the construction zone but I removed two chairs. Does that help at all. Really trying not to buy new table.
  • happyleg
    8年前

I like the lightest blue. No animals in dining room.2 tall lamps. More colorful art or large mirror.

• christina405
    8年前

How about one of the darker colors (I like #3 in the third photo) for the ceiling and make the walls a very light color or a shade of white. Dark ceiling gives some moodiness and edge to the room while the light walls would give the furniture prominence through contrast. I like the calligraphic art better than the larger piece: more personality. Use the same color above and below the chair rail.

• orangecamera
    8年前

Your dining room looks so much larger and better with the 2 chairs removed! Now the end chairs are pushed in more, and the space is opened up.

Is that a large vase in the back right corner? Put some very very long interesting sticks or something in it to bring height to the corner. Bamboo, maybe?

Mill Valley, CA · 詳細

Hill Street Project · 詳細

• Mellanda Reese
    質問の投稿者
    8年前
    Thanks orangecam. Quick question. I have fell in love with these two colors. Would it be too much to put the dark one on the ceiling and the lighter one on the walls? Tried on Behr paint a room and loved it.
  • Mellanda Reese
    質問の投稿者
    8年前
    Here's an example.
  • orangecamera
    8年前

I don't love the idea of the ceiling being so dark, personally. The lighter blue on the ceiling will evoke "sky", which I think would be very pleasing. You started out saying you want all the rooms in your house to flow well together, so don't lose sight of that! I'd say try the light blue ceiling and see how you like it.

I thought of an idea to raise your chandelier in a temporary way to see if it looks better raised up. Use a carabiner (see picture below) to shorten the chain, just loop it through 2 links that are now about 6-8" apart. You can buy carabiners in lots of places - they're usually at the checkout counter and key-cutting counter at Home Depot.

• orangecamera
    8年前

The picture in your example is much larger, and it appears to have a very high ceiling.

• orangecamera
    8年前

This one, I think, shows your basic color scheme.

Living Room · 詳細

• Mellanda Reese
    質問の投稿者
    8年前
    So like this? Or get rid of dark? I included a pic of the foyer just for reference
  • suzyq53
    8年前

Very pale blue on the ceiling would be pretty with creamy walls. Be sure to use flat on the ceiling. I tried semi and had to redo the whole thing. Showed streaky and every little flaw.

• User
    8年前
    I love a dark dining room ceiling. Mine is a fabulous deep rich aubergine. I have a huge Moreno glass chandelier that really glows at night. My walls are light and I love it! Your room may be a tad small for a dark ceiling, but personally I wouldn't paint your ceiling sky blue. It would be pretty in a bedroom, not sophisticated enough for a dining room, IMHO.
    now I see you front hallway, I don't think I would bring in more color, but stay more in the neutral tones. Keep playing with colors, this is the most difficult part. You will get there.
  • orangecamera
    8年前

@SandyC, yours sounds beautiful. Can you post a picture?

@Mellanda, let's go back to basics for a minute. Your style seems to be relatively monochromatic, and if that's what you like I would reconsider making a big change such as painting walls and ceilings a totally different color. Take a look at these photos that show a pop of color just from accessories. This way you can have color but it's not as permanent as paint - you can change it seasonally or as often as you like. I think this kind of thing would bring some life to your dining room without disturbing your comfort zone.

(BTW, the walls in both pictures is Stone Hearth)

• orangecamera
    8年前

Here's one with red accents! If you follow feng shui, red is supposed to be good in a dining room.

• User
    8年前
    Never posted a photo before, but here it goes, sorry for the bad quality...
    Example of dark ceiling in dining room.
  • orangecamera
    8年前

Sandy, your dining room is really nice, the color on the ceiling really works!!!!! And good job posting your first pictures on houzz :)

• User
    8年前
    Thx :)
  • Mellanda Reese
    質問の投稿者
    8年前

Here is the dining room at the old house. This is really my style. Moving into the house none of the walls have color and I love color. The new home seems so boring.
    Here is a pic of the living room.

• christina405
    8年前

Love your dining room, SandyC. Bet you have some great dinner table conversations in that room! My great room has a lower ceiling over the dining table which is painted a silvery grey. When I need to repaint (many years in the future), I will go 3-4 shades darker.

• konstandina
    8年前

It looks like what was prominent in your old dining room and missing in your new one is pattern and rhythm. So maybe a patterned wallpaper or stenciled wall, art with patterns to it, or curtains with a repeating pattern would bring that feeling back. Also I am a huge fan of dark ceilings in dining rooms. I generally eat in dining rooms at night and the dark ceiling is like the night sky, dark, mysterious, but also comforting.

• PRO
    Ellen Kryger Interiors
    8年前

Mellanda,

From your photos, your drapes are Gray with a purple undertone. It looks like your chairs and area rug carry the same undertone. Your top color Stone House was off...it need to come together with a cleaner and fresher Gold. I preferred the two gold framed pictures which coordinates with your chandelier and I love your accessories. You did well decorating. I envision a soft color palette for your dining area. Lilac, Purple, Lavender (however you want to see it) is such a Regal Color and looks Elegant with gold, black furniture. Adding teal is a beautiful combination. I love your gold a teal decorative plate, that's the inspiration. Teal can be brought in more to accent but bring that exact color teal from your plate.

So you have several options: I am specifying colors from Benjamin Moore Color Stories Palette -

Options 1 - Lilac Hush CSP 490 or Through The Looking Glass CSP 495 with ceiling color Paper doll CSP 485. Keep the black, gold, teal palette

Option 2 - Sleek Gray Colors: Cosmopolitan CSP 100 or Penthouse CSP-35 with White ceiling. Keep the black, gold teal palette

You have a great eye, good luck these are just suggestions.

• Paula B
    8年前
    Love the draperies - I do like dining rooms and master bedrooms a little more "off the wall" than the rest of the house as far as color. I do like the teal color you picked or the dusty purple color idea's if they bring out the rug color a little more...can't see the rug that well. I hate to say this, and a lot of people might disagree with me, but I would remove the chair rail. The horizontal line accentuates the length of the table and the sideboard. I'd rather see crown moulding....just an idea!
  • User
    8年前
    Have you considered wallpaper for above the chair rail? Would be lovely.
  • mw1006
    8年前
    Before I comment, what is the size of the room?
  • Mellanda Reese
    質問の投稿者
    8年前
    I am in the process of having the dining room painted grey. Will keep everyone posted. I chickened out on the teal even after I bought the paint. I was scared it was too bright going with the rest of this very neutral palette.
  • Mellanda Reese
    質問の投稿者
    8年前
    Dining room is 12x12
  • shirlpp
    8年前

I did not see anything terribly wrong with your dining room from your original post. You just needed a little "bling". I would have moved the 2 pictures a little farther apart and added 2 longish candle sconces - one on each side of the pictures. Also, I would have removed the 6 chairs and added 4 that matched better with the two at the end, changed the elephant to something more "blingy", and added different accessories on the buffet and changed the chandelier.

• User
    8年前
    Sounds lovely.
  • Mellanda Reese
    質問の投稿者
    8年前
    You are right shirlpp. I will probably just change that paint. That's what really bothered me. The grey is really looking nice. Posting pictures soon. The grey color ended up being a bunch of paints that I mixed together and it's working so far.
  • decoenthusiaste
    8年前

The room is too small for all the furniture you have. If you pull out the seats to sit they will "fall off" the rug. That tells me the table is too large for the rug. Rugs should be 4' wider and longer than the table top yet not run into walls or furniture on the walls. Do you regularly have eight for dinner parties? You have a lot of linear visuals going with the long table, buffet and the wainscot trim. A round table might do the trick and you could keep the rug. If you use the big chairs, then eliminate a pair of the small ones. Right now it would be difficult to get in and out of the space when diners are seated. You might just try removing the rug and see how it feels.

• happyleg
    8年前

A silver dining ceiling would be pretty. I love you front foyer. You have a lovely home.

• Mellanda Reese
    質問の投稿者
    8年前
    Thank you happyleg. I am happy to report the painting is done and I am loving the grey color. Sooooo glad i thought twice about destroying my flow with teal paint!! Decorating and finishing touches tomorrow.
  • Vicki B
    8年前
    Can't wait to see new pics! :)
  • orangecamera
    8年前

Agreed! Mellanda, please don't leave us hanging :)

• Mellanda Reese
    質問の投稿者
    8年前
    Sorry guys. Got busy at work and have not put back together yet. That is the project today. Should have the pictures tonight. Thanks guys.
  • cdnliz
    8年前
    my suggestions: remove the 2 small lamps, have a dimmer switch put on the chandellier (if not already) and replace the 2 pictures with a big, bold print with colours from the dining room walls & furniture.
  • cdnliz
    8年前
    one other suggestion: remove 1 chair from the sides of the table as it looks too crowded with 3 on each side (maybe they could be stored & brought out when REALLY needed?)
  • User
    8年前
    That was suggested many times and she already did it.
  • Mellanda Reese
    質問の投稿者
    8年前
    Okay guys I have been distracted with doing my laundry room so I am going to post the post without all the decor. Things are just sitting for now until I can get back to it. So far I have removed a chair, painted, and lifted the chandelier. I still have to put the chandelier on the dimmer (great suggestion) and do the final decor touches. Pictures are posting next. (Need to switch to the iPad ☺️)
  • Mellanda Reese
    質問の投稿者
    8年前
    Here are the semi finished photos.
  • Mellanda Reese
    質問の投稿者
    8年前
    Before
  • happyleg
    8年前

Wow so pretty, relaxing. Are you hanging art?

• Mellanda Reese
    質問の投稿者
    8年前
    Yes. I have just stored a bunch of stuff on the buffet. I will probably get to it and finish it next weekend.
  • User
    8年前
    Beautiful color! Are you happy? I love it.
  • Mellanda Reese
    質問の投稿者
    8年前
    I love it! Can't wait to see it finished. Debating on artwork now.
  • orangecamera
    8年前

It looks so much better already, Mellanda.