Houzz Logo Print
clsleger

Grassless side yard

When I bought the house in 2003 the west side yard was a dry weedy strip with hard clay soil. The old path of limestone slabs provided the inspiration for a grassless side yard.

I dug everything up, amended the soil, and put in thyme, lavender, dianthus, creeping phlox and sedums. At first they looked like hair plugs:

Now, in late May and early June:

The garden is considerably taller in autumn. This is Zone 5 so you see lots of asters, goldenrod, grasses, and Autumn Joy sedum.

コメント (13)

• hoverfly - London
    8年前

What a wonderful little garden. It's great to see how it has filled in - very inspirational!

C. L. Slegerさんはhoverfly - Londonさんにお礼を言いました
  • lgteacher
    8年前

How beautiful! Your love of plants is evident.

C. L. Slegerさんはlgteacherさんにお礼を言いました
  • User
    8年前

Wow! To someone like me whose garden is in the "hair plug" stage (great description of the look BTW) your garden is a huge inspiration.

C. L. SlegerさんはUserさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Linda Greenberg Landscape & Design, LLC
    8年前

As a professional landscape designer, I'm constantly working with small courtyards or pathway possibilities that will eliminate or lessen the footprint of caring for turf throughout the year. Your perennial garden is beautiful when in bloom, but I would also suggest adding formed plant materials like a Dwarf Boxwood that would carry your eye throughout the pathway. The Boxwoods will anchor the various 'chaotic' perennial spaces with evergreen form.

Linda Greenberg, Landscape Designer

704-995-7173

linda@lglandscapes.net

C. L. SlegerさんはLinda Greenberg Landscape & Design, LLCさんにお礼を言いました
  • posierosie_zone7a
    8年前

So beautiful and so much variety and change throughout the seasons. Thank you for sharing.

C. L. Slegerさんはposierosie_zone7aさんにお礼を言いました
  • rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    8年前
    最終更新:8年前

C.L., how perfectly charming.

Dwarf boxwood, Linda Greenberg? Really? Boring.

C. L. Slegerさんはrhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7さんにお礼を言いました
  • dg
    8年前

Your floral path draws me in! Very nice :)

C. L. Slegerさんはdgさんにお礼を言いました
  • dirtygardener73
    8年前

GORGEOUS! I had the same problem with a grassless side yard that was mostly marl soil -- impossible to dig or plant in for the most part. I started by planting a tiny red-leaf plum, then one by one, I started digging little holes and filling them with compost, planting and planting. I covered it with leaves every year and let them decompose. It took a long, long time (almost 10 years), but finally, I ended up with beautiful, black loamy soil that would grow anything and everything. I miss that house, but not the work of that big yard.

C. L. Slegerさんはdirtygardener73さんにお礼を言いました
  • Kaillean (zone 8, Vancouver)
    7年前

I love it! It's beautiful!

C. L. SlegerさんはKaillean (zone 8, Vancouver)さんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Van Zelst Inc
    7年前

Beautiful work. I love the variety of heights and textures. You may want to sink some of those steppers into the earth so you don't trip on them.

C. L. SlegerさんはVan Zelst Incさんにお礼を言いました
  • teeka0801(7aNoVa)
    7年前

what an inspiration! I love natural looking gardening...it's harder than one might think! That's why I get SO upset when I see folks chopping down the staggered, natural forests and replacing with those rows of trees...yuck...and they get paid big bucks for this??!! It looks so fake, don't they realize it?

Sorry, got side tracked....fabulous!!

C. L. Slegerさんはteeka0801(7aNoVa)さんにお礼を言いました
PR