Houzz Logo Print
pgcmom

Enclosing a carport

Hello! I am trying to get an idea of how much it will cost to enclose a carport. We are buying a house that has a carport (concrete slab with a roof) and we would like to enclose it and make it a garage. The current space isn't big enough for a traditional two car garage, but it might be big enough for a tandem two car garage. Any idea how much it would cost to convert to a tandem two car garage or just a one car garage? Contractor recommendations in Fairfax County (Virginia)?

コメント (4)

• santoslhauper
    8年前

There are different code requirements for a carport and an attached garage (what you would be converting it to), so price is quite variable depending on what needs to be done.

Joanna Clearyさんはsantoslhauperさんにお礼を言いました
  • User
    8年前
    最終更新:8年前

Just to get you to where you can ask the code officials in your area the right questions, a couple of differences between a garage and carport.......

All windows and other openings such as dryer vents will need to be closed off between the house and garage. If there is a door, it will need to be changed to a fire rated door. When you enclose the space, the inside concrete will be warmer than the outside ground in the winter which will create frost heave. Therefore, the footings under the walls will generally need to extend below the extreme frost line. Also, there will be additional mandatory electrical requirements. You will also be required to have a fire rated wall assembly between the house and garage, which can be as simple as adding a layer of drywall to the outside, but for a professional job, the siding should be removed first.......

Just the first few things that came to mind.

Joanna ClearyさんはUserさんにお礼を言いました
  • Joanna Cleary
    質問の投稿者
    8年前

Thank you! The wall that faces the carport is a brick wall with a door and I am sure it will be expensive to remove the brick (if that's what needs to be done) and reuse it on a garage wall.

• PRO
    358 Design Studio LLC
    8年前

Hi,

This is an older post by I thought I would reply in case you are still looking for answers. I am a registered Virginia architect in your area and working on a job just like this in Annandale, VA, and you may have already checked but look into the side setbacks after obtaining a current site plan from zoning showing how much your garage can actually extend. Depending on the height of your garage, it may or may not be possible to extend your garage vs. carport closer to the property line, so it is critical to call and find out exactly what the limits are on your specific site.

All of what is said above is true, and also consider cost of foundations/footings along with some new slab work patched in or completely redone with 2% slope to the doors (may not have this in the existing carport). Also, if there are any future plans for use of the space above the garage for an addition guest bedroom, for example, the design for structure and roof can be designed to accommodate this potential upgrade.

There are a few decisions like this that will influence your design but a contractor might be able to make a well-informed estimate based on their experience on similar jobs. I would recommend contacting:

Cory Law

703-661-9600

http://www.houzz.com/pro/gelaricon/details-home-services

OR:

Arthur Tsiamis

703-328-6973

http://www.ajbuildingcontractor.com/