Houzz Logo Print
lizw484

Inspiration needed grey and gold

Liz
11年前
Hello! I'm really inspired by all the grey color palest and beautiful pics. I need to paint my living room and am looking to replace my sofa with a some sectional (with chaise). I have gold curtains from pottery barn. I'm thinking I'd like a grey sofa but my dining room which is attached to living room has red walls under chair rail. Also entryway/hallway is a subtle gold color. Would this work? Any suggestions or advice welcome. Thank you!

コメント (114)

• tennisanyone
    11年前
    I did not know Liz had another thread going about the coffee table. OK, if it is sentimental, then keep it but it would be better with a smaller rectangle table. LB, I'm still not sure about the three pictures under the vent. This is a hard one. Nice sketch.
  • olldroo
    11年前
    LB and tennisanyone this is the other thread

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/inspired-by-grey-and-gold-dsvw-vd~321731

I think sometimes people without a lot of decorating skills read this site and feel the need to be up with the latest and forget about what they really like, what comes from their heart. It bothers me a lot when everything at the moment is grey, and almost every design dilemma people jump on with greys. Sometime I shudder at how many decorating disasters have come from this and why I always ask the poster for their tastes and ideals and try to teach them how to make their own choices and pull things together rather than just saying do this, do that. Let's face it too, no room really has to be THAT perfect. Not actually being in a room and getting a feeling for it makes it even harder.

That vent really is a nightmare isn't it. Why do they build things like that??
  • Liz
    質問の投稿者
    11年前
    Sorry there are two threads. It is getting confusing. I didn't realize both posted when it started. I thought only one went up. Anyway, about the coffee table... I do love it and it is special to me, but am willing to replace with a smaller table for now. Right now I am in a townhouse and single but eventually see myself incorporating the larger coffee table down the road in my next home.

A question I was wondering, is if I move the mirror above the sofa what would I put on the wall in its place? Also, if the mirror doesn't work upstairs I have plenty of places to put it in my basement.
  • tennisanyone
    11年前
    Nothing on that wall for now. Not every wall has to have something on it since you already have the tv and fireplace. Lets just see it without a mirror when you get a chance.
  • olldroo
    11年前
    We will forgive you Liz - just you are getting conflicting advice. It will be up to you to decide what is more comfortable in the room regarding the coffee table. It looks to me like you have room for it and if you are in a townhouse and have nowhere else to store it, then you might as well be using it.

Definitely agree with tennisanyone - leave that wall blank, the lamp will be there and that will be plenty with the ladder and the TV.
  • Liz
    質問の投稿者
    11年前
    Took down the mirror...
  • tennisanyone
    11年前
    最終更新:11年前
    So much better, don't you agree? Try moving the lamp to the right so the shade is in the other direction but not close to the tv just behind the chair on the right. Worth a try. Now that corner looks so good, you will have to center the tv. I feel like we can all rest with a cup of tea and a good book in that corner :)
  • Liz
    質問の投稿者
    11年前
    The tv is driving me crazy now so yes it will need to be fixed. I do like the wall without the mirror. For now I'm trying this pic over the sofa bc I can so it without an extra set of hands. Thoughts? Only problem now is the room isn't as well lit as before when I had to large lamps on Each end table. Will just take some getting used to I suppose...
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    11年前
    I like it without the mirror. I might try a tall tree plant on the right side of the chair. Spacial balance might be a little nicer. It shouldn't get in the way of TV viewing from my perspective. Not sure, would have to see it.
    After - Drawing - Add a tree plant for spacial balance in the family room. · 詳細
  • Liz
    質問の投稿者
    11年前
    Thanks LB Interiors. I think it needs something too. That's so neat how you can add it into my picture :) if only it were that easy!
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    11年前
    I love the art. Nice colorful addition. Bounces the color of pillows around the room.
  • tennisanyone
    11年前
    I like the lamp how it was, turn it the other way. Exactly LB what I was going to suggest too.Even adding a big fern behind the sofa. I love how you can put it on the screen. Wish I knew how to do that.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    11年前
    This is a great job! Love what you've done. Need to get busy on a real project here. Catch you later.
  • tennisanyone
    11年前
    I'm taking a class tonight in Vastu design. Ever heard of it? Me neither. See you later.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    11年前
    tennisanyone, yes the dining artwork is a hard call!
  • tennisanyone
    11年前
    Lets just ask the builder what we should do. He obviously, didn't give any thought to where he placed the vent.
  • olldroo
    11年前
    I just googled Vastu design - wow, tennisanyone, it sounds very deep. Good luck, hope you enjoy it.
  • Liz
    質問の投稿者
    11年前
    Do you think I should keep the buffet lamps on console table or go with a lower lamp on each side that might give off more light? I could use the two I had in my original photos...
  • nikitasmom
    11年前
    You may be able to camoflage the vent using decorative metal grills. This one I found on Amazon and it is 27" x 27". Hope you don't mind that I borrowed you dining room pic LB Interiors used to demonstrate the idea. There seems to be enough open space to allow the heat to pass through and if a metal vent is safe then I would think a metal grill would be as well.
  • Liz
    質問の投稿者
    11年前
    Nikitasmom- I like the idea of covering it. I like what you selected. Just a thought... The mirror that was near the tv is 32x48.. If hung vertically it would cover the entirety of the vent and could add more light.... Thoughts or huge mistake?
  • nikitasmom
    11年前
    Its is a wonderful solution except vents usually have a function to radiate heat or to circulate the air. People do hang mirrors over fireplaces but how hot does the wall get compared to force heat from a vent? I am not sure if it would be safe. You may want to start a new discussion for this issue. Surely someone else has had this problem and it might bring in some opinions from builders who would know more about wall vents than I do.
  • olldroo
    11年前
    Like the idea of the mirror over the vent - if it works. So you know exactly what the vent is for? You said you are in a townhouse - is that a complex? Do you know other owners to see how they have handled their vents? Agree with nititasmom and start a discussion purely on the aspect of covering the vent with the mirror.
  • Liz
    質問の投稿者
    11年前
    Yes in a townhouse... Middle unit. I know how one neighbor handled it bc their house is on the market and could see pics online :) They left the wall uncovered which looks bad. Nothing on that wall.
  • olldroo
    11年前
    Put another discussion up and see if a pro will respond.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    11年前
    I had an idea about the vent when I was gone from the site. But with many of us, design never leaves our being. Can't help it, especially when there is a DIFFICULT BIG DILEMMA. i'll work on a sketch and see if I like it before I post it.
  • olldroo
    11年前
    LB - especially at 2 AM!!!
  • boofernana
    11年前
    You might have to say "goodbye" to the gold drapes or use them in another room. Grays work well with reds, as long as the red is more on the blue-ish side rather than the 'orange-ish' side. Your art work should be hung lower and this will, in turn, raise the eye above the chair rail, which also could be painted. Just a thought.
  • olldroo
    11年前
    Liz, you asked before about the lamps behind the lounge. I would like to see the old ones back, I'm not happy with the light the present ones throw out either. Either that or swap the shades to see if a larger and lighter shade helps.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    11年前
    Well, I really really like nikitasmom' idea with iron. If you find 2 that fits the space - it's a great idea! I wanted to find an iron folding screen that isn't 72" high so it would fit above the chcair rail, I've seen some that are about 54". couldn't find one. Some are shorter, haven't found one yet.

Folding screen ... so ......... I'm sending one from a room project.
    Maybe 3 panels. The length has to cover upper vent trim down to just above chair rail. Don't know that measurement. I found these a long time ago.

nikitasmom, Love the idea, guess we were thinking open filigree ironwork. 2 different approaches, but similar. Adjust art on the sides. Centered horizontally to the iron pieces.

You have 2 good options I think,

Folding Screen idea
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    11年前
    Now, it's only 11:42 PM. I'm on the west coast.
  • PRO
    Cheery Curtains
    11年前
    what about these curtain designs? Mouse over the image of a full view.

For more designs, welcome to my Houzz page!
  • Liz
    質問の投稿者
    11年前
    Switched out the lamps
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    11年前
    I prefer the others but,
    If you want a little more traditional, use those in this pic
    If you want a little more update, use the candlestick lamps.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    11年前
    You could, buy new fresher lamps, but just shorter, that would work also.
  • tennisanyone
    11年前
    Agree with lb on the lamps
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    11年前
    Another thought, could buy new drum or oval drum shades for the urn lamps. Maybe saves some money.
  • Liz
    質問の投稿者
    11年前
    Yeah once I paint ill get new lamps. Just not sure what shape. I'm just leaving these now bc they give off much more light. I have been searching on houzz for inspiration! What an Addicting website. But I really do love the new layout of the room. Makes me really happy that I love made such an improvement and only had to buy a new floor lamp so far.

Thanks everyone for the tips and suggestions. You are awesome :)
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    11年前
    It's amazing what treasures we already own that can be re-purposed from other rooms, the garage, cellars and attics. I Iove that, I also like to save money for a client, as does olidroo.
  • olldroo
    11年前
    Definitely those lamps give off far better and more even light than the others. Liz, try the shades on the taller lamps, will give you an idea of size and shape if you buy new lamps and definitely keep to a white or cream shade for maximum light.

"Addicting" is the perfect word for this website, Liz, keeps me amused and off the streets. Do develop a habit of looking into photos too, don't just take things at face value, break rooms down for any ideas, no matter how small, that you can take from them - colour schemes, furniture design, furniture layout, artwork, even just a layout on a corner table or a coffee table, it can all make a huge difference to the overall appearance of your room. I'm sure you have learned from this experience too that when you take a photo of your room, things can become more obvious to what you see actually standing in the room.

Thank you too LB, unlike you I don't have clients, just my very tight budget, being retired, but I do like to help people here achieve their dream rooms with minimum outlay. I think it is sad when people look at rooms they love on this site but dismiss ever having them because everything looks (and probably is) very high end not realising that it can be achieved on a lower budget once you understand the basics of what to look for, mixing colours and designs and furniture placement.
  • tennisanyone
    11年前
    We will still think about the vent in the dining room
    In the meantime, enjoy your new space.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    11年前
    oilidroo, I agree, I couldn't have said it any better.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    11年前
    Liz, I think you mentioned that the brown chair in the corner may not get much use, so that it doesn't matter that it's not good TV viewing. I would try to make the brown chair more functional, It would be nice to watch TV from that chair also.

Just a thought maybe, Is there a way you can move the brown chair at an angle and place where your ladder is? Maybe switch walls and move the ladder on the larger wall where the mirror was? Not sure if the ladder will conflict with the fireplace and TV?

You've done so many changes. So much energy and a great job. Sorry for adding a new idea to the list. Great job!
  • Marianne Scoggin
    11年前
    See living room, dining room (latter has damask patterned gray wallpaper). Family room is the rose/terra cotta color with a vaulted white ceiling. Carpeting, gray. Kitchen red/rose toile wallpaper with bone background and wood floor.
  • Marianne Scoggin
    11年前
    Really like the metal items to cover the dining room vents. As shown, they point out off-centered-ness of table center length as opposed to the vents. Solve it by putting more metal items on most of back wall. Use identical ones, as if they were tiles, lined up evenly. Adds texture and focal point to dining room and solves vents issue.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    11年前
    Liz, thank you for the "likes". glad to help.
  • nononanna
    11年前
    I"m coming late to this discussion, but are you still considering the sectional? I think it looks great as it is - sectional might overwhelm the space. There are little tweaks that you can do over time as you see things - lampshades, etc. - but in general you don't need any huge changes.
  • PRO
    Vignettes by SM
    11年前
    For the return in the dining room to help "restyle" it - or give it style -you could take a large wood frame and use this type of metal sheeting that will allow the proper ventilation for the function -and it could be
    painted any color to coordinate with your final design choice -some of the larger craft stores have large enough finished wood frames that could be used. My parents had this in their dining room as well and simply painted it a black metallic and incorporated wall art to coordinate - it did mask it but a decorative framed screen might be a great solution. Good luck !
  • Liz
    質問の投稿者
    11年前
    Thank you for your suggestion Stacey Michelle. I do like that idea alot.

nononanna- at this point I think I'm going to live with the changes for a little while and start with smaller changes... such as new table lamps for the console table, a new coffee table, and area rug. I'm a little overwhelmed by paint colors so I think it will take some time to decide. Hopefully in the next for months I'll be on track!
  • olldroo
    11年前
    Liz, just remember, Rome wasn't built in a day. Do take your time, you have a lot to think about now and you certainly have picked up on ideas quickly. When it comes to paint colours too, you are in winter now so can visualise your room with certain colours in the cold weather, but by waiting another 5 or 6 months, you will be able to feel those colours in the summer months to know what will look best year round. Good luck with it all, and PLEASE post photos when you are done.