Houzz Logo Print
cabeattie

Size of artwork...

Caroline Beattie
8年前
最終更新:8年前

We have just finished renovations and have two big walls to put some artwork on. We are getting some canvas' made which will complement each other - but I'm unsure what size.
I'm thinking a big horizontal rectangular one above the sofa and a vertical horizontal rectangular one at the top of the stairs. Should the one at the top of the stairs be as big, or horizontal too? Confused..... All ideas welcome.
Or do we even have two canvas' of the same artwork just split at the top of the stairs (if that makes sense)

コメント (20)

• Sian Sampey
    8年前
    Do you have enough room at the top of the stairs to put a narrow hall table?
    If so I vote this with the smaller matching artwork above it & maybe a lamp.
    Or perhaps a mirror above it instead.

Otherwise I think it might be hard to get the size right for an art piece there. & if you went 2 big ones in such close proximity it might look a bit art gallery...
  • Caroline Beattie
    質問の投稿者
    8年前
    We want something colourful that brings in the blues cushions and the orange in the pendants.

That size looks great that you've marked up.

I like the idea of a mirror too - hadnt thought of that. I don't think we have room for a table at the moment as small kids run around that corner to their playroom. But def something to think about . Thankyou
  • Caroline Beattie
    質問の投稿者
    8年前
    Here is a better overall photo
  • cloudpants
    8年前
    Your house looks gorgeous. I like the mirror idea too. Here's a painting style that may work...
  • cloudpants
    8年前
    Oops. Here it is...
  • Jenny Murillo Torrisi
    8年前
    I think three mirrors in different sizes above the couch ( arranged in this < shape) would look fantastic and would break up all the angular lines in the space. It would also help the pendant look more like it really belongs in the room. Good luck
  • angelasusanm
    8年前

This might be too much of a challenge but have you thought of actually buying some artwork? Not some pieces of canvas with a generic image or pattern on it but something that a real person has painted/drawn/made/whatever and that you fall in love with? This doesn't have to mean a huge monetary investment – rather than going to commercial galleries or auction houses (although you can still find wonderful pieces at both and be happy living on poached eggs and stir-fries for a couple of months if you over-spend) go to shows by young artists or the annual student shows at art schools and buy what you respond to – and then you have something that you really love and the warm and fuzzy feeling of having supported a budding talent at the start of their career. All this requires is the willingness to fall in love with something and the confidence to take it home!

• PRO
    April & Oak
    8年前

Let me start off by saying that you have done a brilliant job with your renovation. The space looks very inviting and lovely. And those beautiful pendant lights- wow. Great addition.

I think i would find it hard to recommend a size without knowing the dimensions of your wall. I think it is more important what you actually put on the wall that creates an impact on the space. For me, art - bigger is better.

If you are after anything else for your home check out our range here.

We have an exciting range of rugs, furniture, lighting and home decor.

Good luck!

• PRO
    FRAMING TO A T FRAMERS & DESIGNERS
    8年前
    最終更新:8年前

I would suggest 2 framed pieces of art, side by side, to bring interest into the space behind the couch. It will create a connected area with the couch making the space warm and exciting. Then, add a small table with a few books, a glass cloche with succulents and a couple of items for children to hold and explore. Perhaps leave the stair wall free, and draw the eye back to the dining area by adding another framed work. Something like a Vintage print framed large enough to fill the back wall with color and interest, and complimentary to the living room pieces. Finish the dining table with a couple of tall vases and cheese board in the centre displaying faux pears. When guests arrive for a cuppa, the dining area is ready for real cheeses and muscatels. For your area on the landing to the right of the stairs, a collection of family photos looks amazing. This can be framed beautifully to perfectly fit the space.

• PRO
    Colour Confidence Interiors
    8年前
    Hi, love the timber stairs detailing. To answer you questions: Mauritia's dimensions for the artwork above the sofa look good. The stairwell piece should be a vertical, if you are going for a large canvas - the shape should reflect the space proportions. If you are open to variation here, I would suggest a grouping of smaller pieces, rather than one large in the stairwell, as the wall extends beyond the stair. A mirror on a landing can he a bit disconcerting visually, so I would not recommend this. Instead use a large mirror in the far dark corner room of your pic to help bounce light into this area. Mirrors work very well in dining rooms particularly.
  • kooky_karen
    8年前

I would have one large piece over the sofa similar in size to Innenarchitektur & Design. On the other wall I would consider two long panels that compliment each other. The picture is only as an example.

• Janey Emery
    8年前
    Maybe one of my paintings would look nice in your gorgeous house
  • PRO
    Crystal Amesbury Creative
    8年前

Are you definitely sticking to canvas artwork? Perhaps instead of 2 similar pieces would you consider something more sculptural or textural? Besides your hanging pendants everything else in this space is very lineal. Bringing in a woven art piece, hanging rug something sculptural or similar may be the contrast the space needs. I've included some pics of some nice spaces as examples of more textural and sculptural elements you could hang instead of canvas art.

Not saying to replicate what you see in the images below - but the idea of bringing in something that is a little more organic or uneven in shape could be nice visual relief?

• User
    8年前

2/3 to 3/4 the width of the couch, on that wall

• karenleonn
    8年前
    Angelasusan is absolutely right get a great colourful aboriginal rectangular painting for the space Just 1 don't go for a multiple of anything - be it mirrors or prints that you decide on - make it ONE only and a statement! Have fun shopping. K
  • sheilawhittam
    8年前

You have a lovely space with different angles and such a splendid soft finish is set for anything to happen. Because you have to live with the investment a long time choose carefully. Art can be tried before you buy sometimes, especially if you contact an art studio. Galleries will allow a try if they are worth their salt. Some of the comments here are great especially angelasusan. Home designers get you to match trends and texture colour and lamps and mirrors. Don't follow the match the cushions idea...

If you have made your mind up about an art piece that is good, it will last you a lifetime, but fall in love first. Take a respected friend to see some art work, or advisor who has art background. Don't overlook the shows say from Rotary Club Exhibitions. You may just spot something there.

Try not to have the same/ similar in the two spaces, but compliment them.

I would take one to start with. The top of the stairs is a good start as anyone coming up the stairs engages with the view from a distance. It sets a mood to where they are going.

Get some ideas from magazines about interior spaces say Belle, or Vogue, or Art Collector and get an idea of what effect you like. ( libraries)

• PRO
    Rebekah Codlin Art
    8年前

wow, you have some beautiful restful colours in your home, I would suggest going for something to compliment the colours and feel of the place. Have a look at some of my artwork below. These are large paintings available as very high quality Giclee fine art prints (limited edition and hand signed). Sizes range from 900-1300mm. These paintings are very engaging and warming, they have a lasting effect on the viewer and whilst being bold, are also non intrusive. visit my website for more www.rebekahcodlinart.co.nz

Charlotte · 詳細

Afican Rain · 詳細

Suri Girl · 詳細

Story Time · 詳細

Matumaini · 詳細

Charlotte 3 · 詳細

• PRO
    Rebekah Codlin Art
    8年前

I can totally imagine one of my large Charlotte paintings at the top of the stairs. Charlotte is 1300x870mm and Charlotte 3 is 1200x900mm

Charlotte · 詳細

Charlotte 3 · 詳細

• PRO
    Saretta Art & Design
    8年前

Hi There,

Not sure if you are still looking for art/canvas for your space, but I'd thought id share my work with you. I'm a contemporary Aboriginal Artist located in Newcastle NSW. My works have been commissioned for a number of personal and commercial spaces including John Hunter Hospital, OPSM (Luxottica) Australia, St Vincents Hospital Sydney and Taronga Zoo, to name a few.

My artworks have also won a number of prizes including Singleton Art Prize, OneSight Global Ray-Ban Wayfarer Indigenous design which saw my artwork produced on Ray-Ban Wayfarers and Wild at Taronga where I painted a full size rhino.

The following artwork is a 2 panel piece and tells the story of our nations’ journey and the coming together and sharing of
    culture. Large red meeting circles, central within the design, are
    connected reflecting unity and reconciliation across cultural diversity.

The continuous unbroken smaller circles woven throughout the piece
    are symbolic of community, Government and Corporate and the commitment
    to work together around shared vision to create better futures for our
    children. Linked to together the circles are also representative of the
    inevitable flow of future generations and a passing on of the baton to
    our youth.

Size: 600 x 1200 x 2

http://www.saretta.com.au/collections/online-gallery/products/cross-cultures-series-2

I also have a number of other artworks at www.saretta.com.au. All the best with your design.

Saretta

Cross Cultures series 2 · 詳細