Houzz Logo Print
sreedesq

What is the trick(s) to grouping mismatched art?

sreedesq
9年前

I have a long wall in my rec room. It's a nice room, yet rustic (wood stove, white paneling). I have a few equestrian themed art pieces I would like to use. They all have different color frames (yet all are minimalist), different sizes, and different mats. I would like to try to group them artistically rather than spread them out on different walls.

My question to the style gurus: Is there a trick and/or rule you use when trying to combine and arrange mix and match art? TIA

コメント (7)

• cawaps
    9年前

I took pictures of all my artwork, uploaded the pics and cropped them, then rearranged them virtually until I was happy with the arrangement. Mine are all over the map in terms of frame styles, mat colors, sizes, etc., but I ended up with an arrangement I like.

sreedesqさんはcawapsさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Vero Italian Plaster
    9年前

I don't really have any general rules, but I do think it helps to pick your favorite one or the one you want to be the focal point and put it up first. Then build from there and place other frames around it. It's really your preference on how you want them arranged.

sreedesqさんはVero Italian Plasterさんにお礼を言いました
  • User
    9年前

I always do like cawaps. For some reason the trial arrangements look better on screen than they do on the wall. And the on screen saves a lot of holes in the wall. I sew so I always use either old sewing machine needles or a couple of straight pins to hold pictures if I can. Tiny holes.

sreedesqさんはUserさんにお礼を言いました
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    9年前

If you have the floor space, play with them on the floor until you get an arrangement you like. You can choose whether you want to lay out the pieces to create an invisible shape like a rectangle:

London's Big Girl Room · 詳細

or here where they used the walls and the sofa to create 3 strong edges:

Transitional Living Room · 詳細

or here where they created a diamond shape:

City Apartment · 詳細

or here, an oval:

Decorist Celebrity Designer Joni Lay · 詳細

Or you can go for a very random edge:

Dallas, TX: Sara & Rocky Garza · 詳細

As in this example, you can make the furnishings be a part of the arrangement....

Living Room · 詳細

Another alternative is, if you have enough, then fill the wall:

Traditional Residence · 詳細

What you want to notice is balance and scale and, when doing disparate pieces, to make sure they are random enough so it doesn't look like 1 or 2 are misplaced. Look at things like size, shape, colors, frames, and the amount of "white space" you leave around each piece.

sreedesqさんはAnnie Deighnaughさんにお礼を言いました
  • lazy_gardens
    9年前

Hanging them as a group will make them seem more important.

Look up "gallery wall" on Pinterest. The best of them have some underlying unifying factor: symmetry, subject matter, shape of the outline of the group.

sreedesqさんはlazy_gardensさんにお礼を言いました
  • sreedesq
    質問の投稿者
    9年前

Annie, that's exactly what I had in mind. Thanks so much!

PR