Houzz Logo Print
cindyfendler

Sink in island or on counter

We are going to build a new home and are designing our kitchen. It's an open floor plan. The current floor plan has a sink in the island. My preference is to have the sink in the counter but there aren't any windows to put the sink under. I don't know if I'd like to put the sink against a wall with no window. Any thoughts?

コメント (8)

• kgbtt
    9年前
    We've really enjoyed having our sink in the island, facing the family room. We could have put it under the window, but I'd rather be part of the family conversation than looking out at my neighbours ' backyards. The only thing we had to be careful about was getting school work wet when someone splashed in the sink too vigorously !!
  • bunnyllg
    9年前
    We had the same issue, with no window to put the sink under. Solved the problem with a two level island. Almost complete and very happy with how it looks.
  • bunnyllg
    9年前
    Forgot to mention. I will face into the family room while at the sink. Ability to socialize and catch up on the news!
  • PRO
    Wolverine Cabinet Company
    9年前
    You'll need a minimum of 80" for your island. This will fit a dishwasher with end panel, a standard sink, and an 18" double waste pull out, or drawer base. You will also want at least 42" of clearance all around the island.
  • Judy Mishkin
    9年前
    最終更新:9年前

mine is in a wide corner, its really not bad. i wouldnt want it in the island, the sink is too messy too much of the day.

pretty much the only time i do dishes is after dinner, doing the le cruset and cleaning the stove, no view out a window then anyway.

• cindyfendler
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    I guess there are pros and cons either way. Even though I would prefer not having the sink in the island I like the idea of facing the breakfast and great room while doing the dishes. Looking at the floor plan again, if I put the sink along the wall there will be barely any counter space at all. The cooktop, built in microwave, built in double ovens, and refrigerator will take up most of the walls. I'm going to have the island made larger without a breakfast bar so I have more work space and more cabinet space underneath.
  • redtartan
    9年前

If you have a great view, put it on the counter. If you look into a neighbors brick wall, put it on the island.