Houzz Logo Print
simoneds

Our back pool fence needs help

simoneds
9年前
From my main living room the main focal point is the pool fence. There is a small space (500mm one side to 300mm the other side) between the fence and the pool. The pool faces west so I was reluctant to plant anything but I would like to look onto something nice as there is nice open space beyond. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

コメント (22)

• PRO
    Outside Space
    9年前
    Agree with painting the fences a dark colour.

With the smaller garden, if you are wanting to hide it. My suggestion would be, either a small variety of clumping bamboo or a climber trained on structure. Then, the same can be replicated on the other.
  • simoneds
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    Thanks I will paint the fence and give that a go. Does anyone recommend a screen to give it a focal point or will that take the focus away from the view?
  • olldroo
    9年前
    Your outlook makes your garden look more spacious so I would not add any extra screening, unless you have privacy issues. I would paint the fence a dark green so it disappears into the natural landscaping behind. The area you have available for planting is very narrow so I would consider access and maintenance before planting anything. If you did want some colour though, you could run some guttering across the fence and plant annuals in it or just add half baskets on the uprights.
  • PRO
    Rising Sun Landscaping
    9年前
    Monument with a row of ficus hillii flash trimmed to just over fence height for a bit more privacy (it looks like there are some decent gaps in the back fence). if the area is to skinny for the flash try the climbing fig.
  • kooky_karen
    9年前
    The first thing I thought when I looked at photo was to paint the fence purple, eg. Dulux Hothouse Orchid. Why hide it? Rather, let it be the feature. You could then create a hanging garden.
  • leeda7
    9年前
    why don'r you just grow some creeping geraniums up it?
  • deanli14
    9年前
    I have that amount of space on two sides of my pool, and both sides are planted out. It is quite the balancing act to weed, trim, and fertilise in that amount of space. I've only fallen in once! As my neighbour on one side has now mercifully planted some green I'm looking forward to removing the plants along that fence. It is a ti tree fence so quite nice to look at anyway. Good luck and don't fall in!
  • ctwalker1967
    9年前
    I planted james stirling/screen master and keep it trimmed skinny - I have the branches pinned to fence (with tie) so I can keep it thin due to fencing regs. I painted my fence black and with the plants you can have them as high as you want. I don't spend a lot of time maintaining them (only been in just over year and started to reach the fence line..... I do water them as the bed is only 20cm wide so it doesn't get too much natural water (loads of pool water when the kids are doing their stuff).
  • jolobo
    9年前
    Perhaps paint the fence, then put a decorative screen on one or two spots on the fence. You can get these from Masters and Bunnings, as well as garden centres and paving/block shops, and they come in many different patterns and designs, with some being able to be painted. I have also seen them with lighting installed behind the panel to enhance the pattern.
  • cathix
    9年前
    What a beautiful view, and it goes past your boundary too.
    I agree with painting the fence a dark colour. Then get the decorative panels from Bunnings as described by jolobo (they are 900mm wide x 1800 high and the leaf pattern is lovely) and backlit sounds great. Also get some large planters with a hardy Pittosporum screen master. You could arrange three feature screens (2700mm wide) in the centre of the main back fence, with a large planter each end and plant the rest of the fences with a climbing ficus.
  • silvana_acevska
    8年前
    love this and add Bamboo trees too for height
  • patjon
    8年前

Hi I would paint /stain the fence the same colour as your seat at the side of the pool and plant some tall bamboo along the fence line please make sure you get the new non spreading plant it will grow tall and will not totally block out your view beyond your pool as it is not a ''thick'' plant you could use some weed mat and pebbles at the base of these to cut down weeds also you could paint the panels at the side of you pool behind the seat I would do these in three shades of the one colour going light to dark or vise versa and maybe a flat wall sculpture on one of these good luck with your planning

• everton_galepacific
    8年前

Lovely pool area - and great frameless glass fence with mini posts. I think hedges/bushy plants would be a great edition, or climbers too.

• PRO
    Bali Oasis - Outdoor Living
    7年前
    最終更新:7年前

bamboo fencing privacy screens · 詳細

Hi ,

You could attach bamboo fencing. It can easily attach to your original fence and give it a face lift. It can be purchased in 1.8 , 2.1 and 2.4. I have attached a photo of an old fence with new bamboo fencing panels attached. Hope this helps

• Margaret Monk
    6年前

We.ve got a similar issue. I'm concerned most of the pretty, cut steel screens, from Bunnings, might be considered a 'foot-fall' for kids who might want to get into the pool from the other side, making the fence climbable and thus illegal (Victorian Regs). We put palings on the inside of the pool too, to hide the crossbars, but painted each paling a slightly different grey. We chose charcoal and a brownish grey, scattered, in a random manner to mimic the way a forest is coloured. A bit like the natural variation of colours in the photo of the bamboo fence above - but a lot cheaper.

• Margaret Monk
    6年前

Breaking up the great solid block of colour a little bit helps to hide it. Next is the choice of what to plant. I'm leaning towards:

ficus pumila, climbing fig, which can be pruned to hug the fence tightly,

Himalyan blue bamboo, (but might sprout on other side of fence as well, so should have a 60cm deep root guard or be planted in pots)
    or waterhousia floribunda, weeping lilypilly, which can be pruned to a narrow, non-climbable hedge but 30cm might be about as narrow as possible.

I'm just a bit scared the bamboo will move into the neighbours yard too...You also have to be careful to not plant anything with massive roots that could eventually crack your pool, and it has to be tough enough to cope with a bit of chlorine...

Then, put in a dip line so you don't have to water such a narrow spot.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide.

• olldroo
    6年前

This is a very old post.

• Margaret Monk
    6年前

Oops, guess I just wasted my time. I'll check for that next time. Thanks.

• Pamela M
    6年前

I found your comments interesting. I have a similar issue with my pool fence

• Gen Adams
    6年前

Then I didn't waste my time. Good luck with your fence.