Houzz Logo Print
aziperstein

Runner up stairs with or without it continuing in hallway

I want to put a runner up my stairs, but do I need to continue it through the hallway upstairs or can it end at the top of the stairs?
Carpet in the upstairs hallway
No carpet continuing through the upstairs hallway

コメント (14)

• PRO
    Kingston Flooring LLC
    9年前

I agree with Rugknots, a darker contrasting color runner would really make the light wood pop. I wouldn't put in the hallway because at some point your just covering up the beautiful wood floors.

• p4ul1n3
    9年前
    Stairs only
  • crp1234
    9年前
    I had this same question. I decided to put a runner up the stairs and then if I wanted to add a runner later, I could do so in a coordinating shade as a free standing carpet with a pad underneath to stop slippage. I didn't want to do it all in one run because it led into my master. I was like - where does it end? :)
  • Judy Mishkin
    9年前
    最終更新:9年前

you have to be careful going toward the stairs on smooth floor and suddenly your toe hits the edge of carpet... going to stop under the lip of the top step?

it has to have a beginning and an end, once its there.

• Melynda
    9年前

An excellent question! Where DO you stop? I don't want wall to wall carpet, but a runner to make the stairs safer would be nice. But if it can't start right at the top of the stairs, then it keeps creeping further and further into the hall....seems like a chicken/egg sorta dilemma! I'll be watching this thread for inspiration.

• Judy Mishkin
    9年前

you dont need to go wall to wall in the upper hall, just the same runner leaving the lovely edges to show.

• Trina Edwards
    9年前

No carpet at all... any where.

• orangecamera
    9年前

I agree, no carpet, no runner. Runners are a pain in the @$$ to vacuum.

• christiania
    9年前
    Runner should start ( or stop) on top STEP not on upstairs hallway floor at all. Or could cover last top riser just under hall floor lip.....no trip hazard that way.
  • bedroom123654
    9年前

Only on the stairs, what's the point of having hardwoods if you cover them up?

• PRO
    Bruce Mears, Designer/Builder
    8年前

No runner but if you must, stair only.

• bungalowmo
    8年前

Runner on the stairs. NO carpet in the upstairs hall. Maybe a nice oriental rug if you must.

• PRO
    G. Fried Carpet & Design
    7年前

Hi AZiperstein,

I would put a custom countoured runner on your steps and following into your upper hallway. I recommend you go thru our job pictures because this is exactly what we do. Its quite jaw dropping when customers see the work we do. www.gfriedcarpet.net