Houzz Logo Print
kshavu

Help for front door colour

kshavu
9年前

Hi everyone! Our summer cottage is seen here. I'm not happy with the front door or the colour. We plan on investing in a new door with larger windows to allow more light into the entry way. Any suggestions for colour? The siding is James Hardie Iron Gray. I've seen red used a lot but not crazy about it. I do love a yellow door but I think the yellow I chose is too drab. Thanks in advance!

コメント (25)

• kshavu
    質問の投稿者
    9年前

We have had stonework done on either side of the porch for front gardens but can't find any pics.

• kshavu
    質問の投稿者
    9年前

There is no storm door. I had window boxes made but after the gardens go in I think they'll be too high to allow for the boxes. I can use them on the back of the house though. I can't wait to get the gardens planted this spring.

• Jamie
    9年前

Brighter yellow or how about orange?

kshavuさんはJamieさんにお礼を言いました
  • Ramona
    9年前

blue purple

kshavuさんはRamonaさんにお礼を言いました
  • kshavu
    質問の投稿者
    9年前

Orange might be interesting.

Blue purple? Like a periwinkle?

• Ramona
    9年前
    最終更新:9年前

Yes, like Periwinkle. It It will really look terrific with your dark siding.

kshavuさんはRamonaさんにお礼を言いました
  • handymam
    9年前

Oh, please put the window boxes up, and then choose plants and shrubs for the front! Your house will be gorgeous with them! I like the idea of yellow for the door too, but as Barnhart Gallery already said, your color is neutral, allowing any color you like. Aqua might be nice too. and if you have some shade in the front, some endless summer or other hydrangeas would be a classic choice for shrubs. You could plant them down near the corners of the house, away from the window boxes! :)

kshavuさんはhandymamさんにお礼を言いました
  • handymam
    9年前

Periwinkle and hydrangeas! Gorgeous!

kshavuさんはhandymamさんにお礼を言いました
  • kshavu
    質問の投稿者
    9年前

Thanks everyone! I love hydrangeas but worry about them getting too big and requiring too much care, we're not there to water all the time. I think there are some drought tolerant varieties, will be researching that next. I can't wait to get up there and start looking at these colour suggestions. Bring on spring! I tried a colour visualizer online but need a better picture without all the shadows cast in my photo. I was liking the teal and the bring yellow and orange. Periwinkle was looking a little dull with the colour tool, will have to see it in person to decide.

• PRO
    Mottram Architecture
    9年前

A rich mahogany door would be very classy on your home and give you the "red" without being red. Or if you love the yellow go with a deep mustard yellow color that really pops. Depending on the direction of your home, it will fade in the sunlight so a bold color would be best. Upload a photo after you decide, I know everyone on here would love to see it!

kshavuさんはMottram Architectureさんにお礼を言いました
  • kshavu
    質問の投稿者
    9年前

It faces west, lots of afternoon sun. I'll upload a photo when we're done, thank you!

• PRO
    Mottram Architecture
    9年前

You're Welcome! I love a bold door! It adds so much curb appeal and when you land on a color you love it will make you smile every time you enter your home!

• kshavu
    質問の投稿者
    9年前

I already smile every time I get to the cottage, I'll be absolutely giddy once I have the right door/colour and gardens done. :D

• ltlieb
    8年前

Great house! We are building a small beach house and we are using iron gray, white trim and a bright yellow door. Choosing the right yellow has been tough! My question is about the front yard of your house. Are you leaving it gravel and doing most of the plantings against the front? We thought of doing something similar bc of the low maintenance.

• kshavu
    質問の投稿者
    8年前
    Hi! Yes we have gravel all across the front of the property and love it. It's great for packing in lots of cars when we have visitors. That happens a lot with a beach house! I have planted my gardens, still waiting on the new door to arrive. Will post a pic when I get back from the beach today.
  • ltlieb
    8年前

Thank you. I look forward to the photos. What size trim did you use around your windows?

• libradesigneye
    8年前

A great yellow for doors is sherwin williams bees wax - it is deep enough to feel bright and glowing but still soft . . try it

https://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW7682/#/7682/?s=products&p=PS0

yellows are the hardest colors to select - this one is proven outdoors - one coat of bees wax on top of your existing door will tell you if you want to keep yellow or not - I'm betting you do.

If you want an iris - test bm yin yang http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/yinyang

kshavuさんはlibradesigneyeさんにお礼を言いました
  • ltlieb
    8年前

Also, can you share your roof type, color and brand? Thanks!

• potchiemagoodleberry
    8年前

a beautiful summer cottage! why not go for a fun and summer shade of aqua, teal or turquoise?

kshavuさんはpotchiemagoodleberryさんにお礼を言いました
  • Beth Brown
    8年前

i also like the idea of a teal or maybe even a lighter sea foam green!

kshavuさんはBeth Brownさんにお礼を言いました
  • kshavu
    質問の投稿者
    8年前

ltilieb...sorry I don't know what our roof is at this point, aside from basic black. It looks more grey in the photo but it really is black. I wish I'd gone with something lighter in colour but its okay. I think the trim is 4" trim, Hardie. I'm heading back today to meet a contractor so will double check and will also snap the photos I promised from yesterday.

Thanks all for the door colour suggestions. I love aqua/teal colours. I have decorated the interior with hints of aqua. I plan on testing a couple yellows and aquas on my old door before painting my new door. Will keep you posted.

• Lila
    8年前
    最終更新:8年前

My experience with hydrangeas is that they just about take care of themselves. I never had to water mine and they can be cut right back in the winter. They are perfect for your style house (which I love BTW).

kshavuさんはLilaさんにお礼を言いました
  • kshavu
    質問の投稿者
    8年前

ltilieb...sorry for the delay, trim is 3.5" width. Haven't remembered to take a pic and its raining here now.

• tippie64
    8年前
    Definitely bright blue with hydrangeas!