Houzz Logo Print
metaculture

Awkward Upstairs Porch Conundrum: Help!

Ok we have a design conundrum. We've got an upstairs north-facing porch that we don't know how to utilize. It is awkwardly located directly off of a full bath and is currently unscreened with a tiled floor. It overlooks the backyard and is approximately 168 sq ft (14'x12'). Unfortunately it's barely been used since its always dirty with leaves and has no furniture on it. This porch is directly above another porch we are about to close in and make an interior room off the kitchen. For the upstairs porch, we'd like to close it in too (with at least a screen to keep debris out) and redo the roof. The question is: what would you do with this currently unused space? We get stumped each time because it is located awkwardly off of a bathroom... thanks in advance for your creative ideas for this space! PS here are some photos...

コメント (5)

• Judy Mishkin
    9年前

seems the problem was with the original design, being off a bathroom. off the bedroom it would have been a real hit.

now that you've lost your porch below, can you steal a couple chairs from there and put them up here? is it nice and cool in summer when other places are hot? a nice private place to read?

if you dont sit up here with free furniture you wont sit up here with newly purchased. if you do sit up here and can screen it in then do so, its nice to air out the bathroom after showering.

the rail looks horrifically unsafe for children, in any case.

• metaculture
    質問の投稿者
    9年前

Agreed that the original design from the 1980s is the real culprit that we inherited. All of the roof and railing would have to be removed and redone even if we were only framing a screened porch. However at that cost ($20k) it seems like a no brainer to make it an interior room and at least be able to use it all year...could do larger windows with screens that would give the effect of a screened porch also. Still stuck with the awkward location of next to a bathroom... what about a spa/yoga retreat?

• Judy Mishkin
    9年前
    最終更新:9年前

there ya go, on the floor in lotus position. as soon as you sweep out the leaves.

when it comes time to redo the adjoining bathroom if you are loving this room you might find a different floor plan that works, like a separate area for the toilet or something. i like your plan.

• PRO
    Midwest Remodeling
    9年前

Assuming this is an area that doesn't get too much cold weather I think this is really a great opportunity! I would bring the outside and inside together. Now this requires as much of a bathroom remodel as it does a porch remodel but... it could be fun! Check out these really neat inside out and outside in bathrooms with a porch or balcony!

LOVE it! Ok, so you need a massive budget for these. But you didn't say you had a set budget so I dream BIG!

• metaculture
    質問の投稿者
    6年前

Well I wanted to follow up and show what we actually ended up doing to the upstairs porch last year... it is now an art studio! Here is how it looks from the outside...we love it! Thanks for everyone's ideas. The Houzz design community is the BEST.