Houzz Logo Print
fredsmommy

need RUG ideas to go with my light grey sofa and blue curtains...?

fredsmommy
9年前
My earlier post outlined the problems I had when I went for this floor model sofa and wasn't crazy about the light grey color. I have a Persian red/blue rug and used that for a while and tried to bring in reds and blues, settling on royal blue curtains.

THEN I found moths. They ATE a giant swath of oriental rug I had folded in my closet. I threw that rug out (a 4x6 I hadn't been using) and dry cleaned every wool piece of clothing I have and also sent my rugs out to be cleaned. I am still terrified to have anything wool in existence since I still see the occasional moth. I never got pesticides because of my cats. So my rugs are now currently cleaned and wrapped in plastic and I don't think I'll use them again until I move into an actual house (whever that is.) So now I'm looking into non-wool rugs and am stuck on what color to use. Would love all your feedback.

The first picture below was my room with the original-now-in-plastic rug and then now with a temporary-rug-fix, a sissel (non wool) beige rug that looks bad. Then with 2 rugs I bought from TJ Max to test out (all were too small 5x7, I realized).

And in next post, I took photos of some others at TJ Max that could work. I REALLY like the burnt orange rug but unfortunately it has wool in it. Anyway, all ideas welcome--light grey sofa and royal blue curtains and I can get new pillows as needed. I cannot paint the walls as this is a NYC apt that I rent.

コメント (29)

• fredsmommy
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    Here are potential rugs from TJ Maxx
  • fredsmommy
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    IT doesn't appear that anyone has commented on my post. Am I doing something wrong? I don't even see it appear on the first 5 pages of the Design Dilemmas area...please help!
  • junef22
    9年前
    Hi! I like your sofa and love your beautiful artwork. What a shame that you had to store your persian rug. I have to say I am not crazy about any of the TJ Maxx choices. I actually like the 5x7 red rug, because I love how it makes the paintings pop.
  • Mona
    9年前
    I vote for #1
  • Liz H
    9年前
    But the moths are gone, that beautiful Persian is clean... I would definitely put that baby back in its place of honor.
  • Liz H
    9年前
    Oh, wait...Sorry. You did say that you still see the occasional moth. Yuk!
  • PRO
    Darcey Lewelling
    9年前
    I would go with the grey rug. It's a small space and too much of a dark color can over power the space, making it appear smaller. Not that any of your rug choices are dark. I would hang the pictures on the wall to draw the eyes up.
  • abbyjean
    9年前
    Just commenting for now so I have this thread on my radar. I will have to read it all again when there is more time.
  • msv77
    9年前
    Shades of blue and grey are in for 2015. I would concentrate on those colors for your rug and use the red as accent pieces. I buy most of my rugs from www.rugsusa.com. They have great sales, 70% off, free shipping, and more. Good luck deciding! I love TJMaxx, too, but I would have to camp out every other day to find the perfect rug. I do buy pillows from TJMaxx almost weekly, return, buy more, return and over again! I just keep trying for the right look. I also bought all of their various large deer-like heads in silver, white and gold (took back the turquoise). I know my taste sounds strange, but trust me, it's cool... And, I CAN!!!
    Another really HOTT thing for 2015 is cow-hide rugs or animal-print along with pillows or chairs. What is nice is they go with everything. I am now anxious to look for a rug for you. You may here from me tomorrow. Good Luck and Happy Hunting!! Teehee
  • fredsmommy
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    Hi everyone, thanks for all your great comments. Much appreciated. Lizzie, yes, I still see the occasional moth. Those damn things are still lurking. So that is why I'm reluctant to expose any wool, although I know that a clean rug and an often-vacuumed rug is less likely to be damaged--in fact, they didn't touch that big persian I had in my living room at all! (They just devoured the one I had folded on a closet shelf..and they also got a bit along with the fringe of another persian I had in my little office--a 5x7 that I love--also blue and reds--and that one is cleaned and in plastic too now. Terrified to bring either of them out. Iin fact, I'm in NYC, and we've had temps in the teens and so now those plastic-wrapped rugs are on my balcony so they can freeze for a while (which supposedly is another way to kill moths and that just in case any snuck in since I brought them home post-cleaning) It's a war!
  • fredsmommy
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    Darcey, my pictures are hanging--currently I'm using that unnattractive beige sissel rug until I figure out what to do. So the pics are up, although I do need to rearrange how they are hung because everytime I move furniture (which is sort of frequently) they all get displaced and it's so tedious to have to reposition and rehang them all. Marian, yes, I was thinking of the blue/grey combos--although my instinct is always towards reds but perhaps shaking it up it a good thing. I could never do cow hides however. I am a radical animal-rights vegan and I know how much all the farm animals we abuse for food suffer tremendously in their short stolen lives. Seeing a cow hide, and worse--stepping on it, would make me shudder in horror, to be honest! I would not want that karma anywhere near me. I don't use down. And actually after this moth expeirence, I'm never buying wool again either. The sheep are hurt tremendously when they are sheared (ducks are tortured beyond belief when feathers are pulled) (Peta has some undercover videos that I saw recently--on their website. We don't realize how much we cause others to suffer by using their bodies for our own wants and tastes...anyway, I digress! I actually love that red 5x7 rug, June. It's a Joseph Abboud? (And a steal only $300 for the 8x10 at TJ Maxx and on Overstock it's $800) The problem is, it has wool in it that I didn't realize. I can't buy wool anymore...
  • groveraxle
    9年前
    fredsmommy, I like the teal-ish rug, last photo in your original post, but I don't like it with the art. Speaking of the art, those ornate frames don't go with the vibe of the space: casual couch and kitty condo.

And is that a desk back there disappearing into the royal blue curtains?

I'd rethink the space a bit. Reframe the art and look for a rug that pulls blue and just a teeny bit of the red from the art into it.
  • fredsmommy
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    Yes, my space is annoying small. That's a NYC apt that costs $2200/month in rent for ya! (And that's a deal, the same apt in my building is now going for $3200/month) I don't plan to stay here forever and can't wait till I get to live in a real house! But for now I have to figure out a way to make my living space liveable LORDANDLADY, thatnks for those ideas--I LOVE the overdyed red one--only thing is, it's only a 5x8, so way too small...but I would love that one...the fact that it's a little muted is really nice. Maybe I can search for a similar but bigger one. I would love to go for something blue...just not sure what. The patterns are tricky. And the problem is, carrying the 8x10 home and returning it is a lot of hard work. (After buying/returning to TJ Maxx, I mean)...
  • fredsmommy
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    It's SOOOOO hard to envision how the patterned rugs, or even different colors are going to look on your floor with your stuff. In that other rug thread, I like how that person somehow photoshopped the blue rug in--how is that done? Could I do it?
  • abbyjean
    9年前
    最終更新:9年前
    This may be just crazy, but as I look at the pics, I see a NICE floor. Do you NEED a rug? Warmth? Not sure. Anchor the seating? It looks like it already is. Add the color with your art and pillows. Enjoy that floor.
  • fredsmommy
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    Groveraxle, thank you. Hmmm, maybe I"ll purchase that TJ Max rug and try it out. But not sure because my curtains are a whole otehr shade of blue...dark royal...AND yes, that desk is not how it should be. I didn't clean up for the photo. That desk is actually an antique gorgeous desk, it's like a side table/desk that unfolds into a giant dining table. I forget what it's called. Sort of looks like this, but without the drawers http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Queen-Anne-Small-Desk-Burlwood-Curly-Maple-Secretary-Vanity-Sofa-Table-/231451473518 But I have expanded it in the pic to the Square shape and spread out all my tax stuff on it. Until I get my receipts, etc. together it's going to look like crap. (Problem with small NYC apt, if you do anything at all, suddenly you've made a mess) AND YES< my kitty condo is an eyesore. I thought they were so tacky for so many years but then after accidentally getting involved with cat rescue and ending up with 6 kitties (all of whom were going to be put to death at the shelter), suddenly their needs surpassed my design sense! Whenever I end up in a bigger house, hopefully my kitty condos won't detract so much!
  • fredsmommy
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    AbbyJean, YES< there is a very nice wood floor under there. And it was exposed for a few months till I put that beige rug down. The problem is, for a living room it's just not very warm with bare floor.Everywhere else is bare floor in my apt. I also did not put my bedroom rugs back down after cleaning them either..(they were Chinese needlepoint aubossons in pastel colors) That couch with the one side sticking out is a little problematic too, because you can only place it in certain positions...
  • Limah Marie
    9年前
    I love your Persian rug! I would hang the paintings a little higher though, so it doesn't seem as cluttered
  • groveraxle
    9年前
    New picture frames:
  • fredsmommy
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    Actually I just saw that same overdyed rug in an 8x10 on overstock here: http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/nuLOOM-Vintage-Inspired-Overdyed-Rug-8-x-10/6660526/product.html
    Very tempting...I like that turquoise too actually. Wish I could bring them home to test out first...I wonder if they sell those anywhere in nyc?...
  • groveraxle
    9年前
  • groveraxle
    9年前
  • fredsmommy
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    Wow, Grover! Thanks, how did you do that? Can I do that? Well I thinks these pics sort of illustrate what I was thinking--that I have to be very careful of bold patterns because they are just too much for my small space and make it look even more cluttered. I think that is what I like about those muted rugs (which I only just learned about on this thread) they have a pattern but it is subtle.
  • msv77
    9年前
    Who ever does the drop in rug that is fabulous! I think the bold modern rugs add style and fun to the space! I don't think it makes it look smaller. The last 2 are too traditional and resemble a very mature space. Maybe you can meet half way. A modern print with softer tones of your colors? Love, love, love the software technique! What is it called?
  • sacapuntaslapioz
    9年前
    I LOVE YOUR RED blue rug. really lovely
  • PRO
    Kilim online
    9年前

Hi I like your sofa and the artwork but I wouldn't recommend a vibrant red or blue rug to match the art work. Instead I would opt for a lighter blue/greyish patchwork rug or one of our recoloured blue rugs. Have a look on our website. Shipping is free. http://www.kilim-online.com/ And on our blog and pinterest we have many examples of grey sofas with blue rugs and curtains for inspiration.

• PRO
    Rug Addiction
    7年前
    最終更新:7年前

we have lots of option at RugAddiction.com