Houzz Logo Print
directtradesupplies

Is Garden Lighting Overlooked?

So much thought is put into interior lighting but is the garden being neglected?

Although you'd be a mad man or woman to bask outside in the garden with the weather as it is, when it dies down and sunny spring arrives - will garden lighting play an important role in creating a nice ambience in the dead of night or aren't people that fussed about illuminating their yard?
Yes, I see Garden Lights As An Extension Of The Home - They Are Important
No, I'll Leave It To The Street Lights Outside.

コメント (24)

• PRO
    Perfect Integration Ltd
    9年前
    I think it would matter on the state of one's garden...I wouldn't want lights to expose a wild mess! But if the garden were to be an extra feature then lights could of course be a nice way to add a welcoming atmosphere to the home, although you're right, I have not given it much thought in the past!
  • Tony McIntyre
    9年前
    I currently don't have lighting in my garden, but when I will when I am renovating!
  • alant1000
    9年前
    I've got some in the decking
  • PRO
    Direct Trade Supplies
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    Perfect Integration - Yes, you are right.. you wouldn't want the light to highlight the gardens mess. Then again, if the garden is that messy lights could aid you as you manoeuvre around.

Tony - Good thinking. It has the potential to be a great focal point and a real asset to late night drinks/dinners outside. Direct Trade Supplies have a vast collection of outdoor lighting so if you ever needed help selecting some new garden lights, just get in touch.

Alant1000 - Deck lighting is really good for subtlety, discreet but very effective. They can make the rain actually look quite nice as it bounces on the wet decking. A photo would be great if you have one?
  • PRO
    Distinct landscapes
    8年前

Garden lighting is essential if you want to spend any evening or nights entertaining.

• PRO
    Marionville Masonry
    8年前

garden lighting is good

• PRO
    SM Electrical Supplies LTD (SM Lighting)
    8年前

Garden lighting is very important and overlooked

• PRO
    Andrew Wenham Garden Design
    8年前

I use lighting in all my gardens, its the fourth dimension!

• PRO
    Hepburn Designs
    8年前

Garden lighting is so important!! I think it is just as important for winter as summer as it is dark when we get home in the winter. Having your garden lit extends the views from you home and eliminates that wall of black glass. I always discuss garden lighting with clients especially when they are extending or opening up the back of their homes with large windows/doors. The garden can be enjoyed from the comfort of the heat of the house as well as outdoors on those rare summer nights when we can sit out there!!

• PRO
    Kinniburgh Pools Ltd
    8年前

Why not enjoy the outside as much as the inside, another dimension and area to enjoy 24 hours a day.

• PRO
    Aspire2 Garden Design
    8年前
    最終更新:8年前

Garden lighting is essential if you want to enjoy your garden after dusk and can highlight focal points to be viewed when you are inside your home.

• PRO
    Saracen Interiors
    8年前

important to bring your garden to life

• PRO
    Wiltshire Garden & Interior Design
    8年前

Garden lighting is critical not only is it practical but also extends enjoyment of your garden into the evening

• PRO
    Bohemian Chandeliers
    8年前

I believe Garden lighting is as important as any other lighting inside the house.

• PRO
    Manoj Malde Garden Design
    8年前
    最終更新:8年前

Garden lighting is definitely important but is often overlooked or done really badly. People use lights inside the house to create ambience so lighting should be used for similar reasons in a garden. If well designed, garden lighting can bring a garden to life at night.

• ghesp
    8年前
    We have a single flood light in the garden and it's terrible.
    Fortunately I had the foresight to ask our electricians to wire in a switch for outside lighting when doing our kitchen.

When we do the garden either with year or early next year, I'll be using uplights against the brickwork of the house, and then in the flower beds around the garden.

Id like to have bamboo around the edge of the garden with lights in it
  • PRO
    8年前

@ghesp if you are thinking about planting bamboo I would advise to use some kind of a root barrier as bamboo can get invasive. Also it would be good idea to choose a clumping variety of bamboo like the black cane bamboo (Phyllostachys nigra). I tend to strip the lower leaves off so that it shows off the black canes and if you are thinking about putting lighting amongst the bamboo it would create some lovely shadows at night.

• ghesp
    8年前
    Thanks, that's exactly what I'll be doing! I wasn't aware of the root barrier though, anything you suggest?
  • PRO
    8年前

You are most welcome. If you go to amazon and type root barrier you will see them there. A good garden nursery should also have these.

• PRO
    Double D Landscapes
    8年前

You can get great garden lighting.

• PRO
    AG Interiors
    8年前

Garden lighting is crucial - it can make your garden look quite magical at night if done properly ......

• PRO
    Pagazzi Lighting
    7年前

A great lighting design always includes outdoor spaces! LED lighting strips are an amazing, cost-effective way to add a contemporary finish to your garden.

• PRO
    GreenlinesDesign Ltd
    7年前

Lighting creates year long interest into your garden and is not just practical but enhancing and enlarging the views from your indoors during the dark winter months.